The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not your ordinary drill
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:00 pm 
Check this out:

The story:
About 80-year old engineer from Hämeenlinna (southern Finland) constructed a working automatic weapon from a battery-powered drill. Troubles started when he went to the police to get a permit for his weapon.
"Automatic weapons are not permitted. We took the gun away, questioned him, and processed the case as a firearms offense." stated the local officer. "It was built from pipes and whatnot, with great precision. I have to respect that. No parts from other weapons were used. All the components are commonly available." Both the engineer and the police test-fired the weapon on shooting range, and found it quite functional.
Prosecutor originally had the engineer on charges, but district court decided to drop charges. Government took the gun, though, and is likely to place it in crime museum.

The weapon-enthusiastic engineer had been developing the gun for more than a dozen years. Rate of fire for the weapon is 420 shots per minute, and it uses a metal belt to feed .22 caliber ammunition. Range was not mentioned.

"I have to tip my hat to the man." -- comment from the case officer.

So, what are you gonna do when you are 80? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:59 pm 
This points up one of the major stupidities of gun-control legislation. Guns aren't exactly hard to fabricate; anyone with a half-way decent basement machine shop can turn out working fascimilies of a MAC-11 or an AK-series really, really quickly.

In fact, a MAC-11 would be about the easiest kind of gun to build from scratch. They ain't exactly complex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:27 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Hah! Takes a bit of Finnish Sisu to pull something like that off :D
Zwilnik: Any link to the original story so I can get a proper URL to spam to my friends?

PS. That thing has got to have an "Ei saa peittää" sticker on it somewhere... :lol: ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:22 am 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

Hell, the STEN would be easier than a MAC-11.

And yes, gun legislation is silly. It only keeps guns out of the hands of the law-abiding. Who are, by definition, exactly the people you don't need to worry about.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:20 am 
gnolam wrote:
Any link to the original story so I can get a proper URL to spam to my friends?

Sadly, there seems to be nothing more than the newspaper article I spotted by chance. I tried to search for it in the web, but only found gazillion sites dedicated to the wonder of drilling (sans bullets). Electronic version of the paper does exist, but I don't feel like paying, and in any case they wouldn't feel llike sharing.

I could always scan the original article in full and post it (temporarily) for viewing & downloading. PM me or just post here if it's good enough, and I'll do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:23 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Ah. In that case I think I'll just spam around the picture with an explanation :)

Happy independence day BTW! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:37 pm 
gnolam wrote:
Ah. In that case I think I'll just spam around the picture with an explanation :)

Happy independence day BTW! :D

Thanks! 87 years down, hopefully a lot more to go. :)
Looking eastward always makes me appreciate this day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:09 pm 
gnolam wrote:
Hah! Takes a bit of Finnish Sisu to pull something like that off :D
Zwilnik: Any link to the original story so I can get a proper URL to spam to my friends?

PS. That thing has got to have an "Ei saa peittää" sticker on it somewhere... :lol: ;)

Zilwink ...From E.E. (Doc) Smith's Lensman science fiction series
def a drugrunner