The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:13 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

My knife/blade collection could go on for pages, but this is what I have right now.

FEG PA-63 (Makarov chambered) - fabricated in 1957 (according to stamp. Magazine and slide both match serial numbers with frame)

Sturm and Ruger P85 - Mark II (9mm) that needs to go back to the factory to be refinished ($35)

an ancient CH Revolver, which needs a lot more help than I can really give it, and may not be worth it for more than a wall ornament (cracked frame and barrel base - hand made spanish copy of an ancient Smith and Wesson, from about 1920)

And my most recent purchase -

a Phoenix Arms HP22A , chambered in 22 long rifle, for plinking and target practice - to get my eye back in. $10 for 500 rounds vs $6 for 50 rounds for the PA-63

any comments, suggestions?

BW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:15 pm 

Well, the Phoenix Arms .22 LR is working fine now.

I had to strip the gun down to basics, scrub it clean with Hoppes, then used a light oil on everything, including the slide itself.

Once I did that, the feed/jamming problems I was having vanished.

The PA-63 will require a new slide spring, the current one has a huge recoil AND isn't returning the slide to full forward (to load the next round. I found that it was HALF loading it, and leaving a half inch gap where I could see the cartridge. Not fun, but not that dangerous on this gun. I just pushed the slide forward, and it seated properly)

I keep thinking about whether or not I should order a CZ52 - anyone have any information or experiencing on them?

BW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:56 pm 
I'm always amazed at how many time people I know bring me guns complaining, "it doesn't work," and it turns out that all it needed was a good cleaning.

Clean your guns, people!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:23 pm 
Yeah, the condition of some of the guns I've seen in the army was terrifying... good thing they didn't require us to actually try and use them.

And people who have guns of their own and don't maintain them are just plain scary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:29 pm 
"For sale - Iraqi Army rifle. Never fired, only dropped twice."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:25 pm 

Well, silly me. I thought that by buying a 'new' gun, it should have been in reasonable shape.

(The other guns WERE cleaned before I ever used them. the PA-63 was FILTHY after I bought it. Wish I could find a couple more of them for the price I paid. The Ruger actually had started some slide rust - I stopped that.)

BW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:27 pm 
Didn't mean anything personal by that, BW. (Although cleaning a new gun's a good idea, too - lots of them are shipped filled with cosmoline.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:08 pm 
Aren't new weapons usually full of protective fluids, and need thorough cleaning before usage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:53 pm 
Mravac Kid wrote:
Aren't new weapons usually full of protective fluids, and need thorough cleaning before usage?

It's not uncommon. Surplus arms in particular are frequently full of thick grease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:04 pm 

Checked the barrel and such before using. Looked okay. This was a 'from the factory' rather than an armoury stored surplus weapon. Just a cheesy .22LR.

Anyone tried a CZ-52, so they can tell me whether or not to bother?

BW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:22 pm 
Bookworm wrote:
Checked the barrel and such before using. Looked okay. This was a 'from the factory' rather than an armoury stored surplus weapon. Just a cheesy .22LR.

Anyone tried a CZ-52, so they can tell me whether or not to bother?

BW

I've never handled one, but Makarov designs generally have a decent rep as solid, rugged pistols that aren't exactly target guns. If you're looking for an inexpensive plinker, it ought to be OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:29 am 

When I was working that last gun show, the boss had a couple CZ pistols out on the table, and there were several people drooling over them. I talked to one gent, he informed me that short of a Browning designed weapon, the CZ was extremely nifty.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:20 am 
I've never used a CZ-52, but I'm rather partial to the CZ-75 whcih I've fired in both standard and compact versions. They compare well to the Glocks I've used (19 and 17), although the Glock mag release sits directly under my thumb.

My firearm experience isn't very extensive, though, so YMMV.