The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M44 (Russian)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:08 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

I'm debating on picking up one of these while they're still around.

http://www.dealerease.net/catalog/produ ... id=1008326

since I'm not worried about perfect condition, just "shootable to have fun with', the $52 plus shipping price sounds reasonable to me.

Any comments? Suggestions?

BW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:44 am 
Your link didn't work for me, but most of the M44's I've seen have looked like they'd make good shooters. The Red Army certainly got plenty of good use out of that basic design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:38 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

http://www.militaryshooters.com/military_rifles.html

If you click on the "C&R Firearms", then go to the bottom, you'll see the M44. Blasted cross-connected sites without linking information.

Shot the CZ-52 today.

FUN.

Seems to shoot a bit low - 4" at 50 feet, but I'm not too upset. I mean, the gun _is_ 52 years old, and looks almost brand new. Another guy there was shooting a 1911, and I gave it to him to try - he REALLY liked it, and was amazed at the condition.

Heavy trigger pull, and one handed shooting has a right handed twist - probably an ejection port reaction.

I had one round that misfired - oh well, it's 30 year old Yugo ammo, so one out of 40 isn't too terrible - I gave that to the range owner, who'll put it in a bucket of ammo that'll be disassembled by someone else.

So, since this one was the original 1953 Parkerized, I think I'll see if I can order a 1953 arsenal refinished blued model - that'll give me two additional magazines, two guns to use, and I'll also order a spam can of ammo :)

(there goes another $300 - oh well, maybe I'll buy a Turkish Mauser or the M44 as well)

If I DO get a rifle, I'll definitely have to get/build a cabinet soon.

The PA-63 is shooting well, but I think I'll try to sell it/trade it - it abuses my hand a bit much, and that is likely due to the shape of my hand, rather than the gun itself. I've done most of the work necessary to fix the issues that the gun normally has. Upsetting, since it REALLY fits my hand well - it just bites the webbing.

BW