[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Nightstar Zoo • View topic - Top 10 guns of the 20th century

The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:18 pm 
About six years too late, but what the hell.

I was thinking about this while perusing Guns & Ammo the other day. If you could name ten 20th century firearms that had the most effect on firearms design and general history, what would they be?

Here's a partial list, submitted for discussion:

1) U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1. The first generally adopted, practical semi-auto battle rifle, the M1 Garand was described by Gen. Patton as "the greatest implement of battle ever designed." High praise from a tread-head. The M1 was in use from the early days of WW2 well into the 60s, and still sees use in National Match version on many service match ranges today.

2) Winchester Model 70. This rifle, especially the pre-64 (really pre-WW2) version, set the standard for sporting rifles, and still does. Even if it is yet another adaptation of the Model 98 Mauser.

3) Colt 1911. Probably the best military handgun ever designed, and has influenced more semi-auto handguns than any other. My carry gun, a Firestar M45, is a 1911 knock-off. Even Smith & Wesson now makes a 1911 clone.

4) Browning M2 .50 caliber machine gun. The finest heavy machine gun in the world, designed in the 'teens, adopted in 1921, and still seeing heavy use today.

5) Remington 870 Wingmaster pumpgun. The 870 isn't fancy, it doesn't command the adulation of the Model 12 Winchester, but with this gun Remington put a lot of fine, hard-working, reliable pumpguns in the hands of millions of hunters.

6) Kalishnikov AK-series rifles. Rugged, cheap, reliable, and easy to maintain by troops with minimal (if any) training. The AK-series guns can and are produced in any reasonably equipped machine shop - I saw a blacksmith in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia hammering out AK receivers once. The AK has probably equipped more troops and irregular fighters than any other military arm.

Room for four more. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:53 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:03 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:59 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:17 pm 
The .38 Special.

One might argue that the cartridge greatly influenced handgun development, especially since stout loads in heavy revolvers like Smith's big-frame .38/44 led to the development of the .357 Magnum.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:49 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:51 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:13 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:45 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:40 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:46 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

The Thompson Sub-Machine Gun.

It spawned off a host of laws, movies, and erroneous information on automatic weaponry, as well as created an entire genre of 'noir' media.

BW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:11 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:30 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:39 am 

Then I'd drop the Winchester, and simply put in the Mauser - put in the winchester as a subnote of the Mauser.

The "Kentucky" long rifle from the US Revolutionary War made an impact - it made a wonderful sniper weapon against idiots wearing red and white outfits, and made more of an overall impact on the historical development of the US than any of the other weapons of the time.

(I still go for the machine gun.. :) )

Gatling gun - first mass-producted automatic weapon, with a design that continued on even through today (Vulcan, and so forth)

BW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:05 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:34 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:42 pm 

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:16 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:08 am 
How about the Glock line of handguns? They were quite a turning point in pistol design, and have become pretty ubiquitous among cops nowadays. At least city cops; rural cops here at least still prefer big-caliber revolvers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:40 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:57 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:17 pm