The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Almost.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:14 pm 
I almost bought a nice stainless Ruger Vaquero in .45 Long Colt today. I had a rebuilt 700 Remington in .30-06 to trade, and just couldn't make the deal I wanted.

I've got the itch, though. What I really want is a 4 3/4" blue Vaquero in .45LC for another holster gun. I've told my guy at Dave's Guns here in Aurora to keep an eye out for one for me.

For those not familiar with the Vaquero:

Traditional looks with modern lockwork and metallurgy. Nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:34 pm 
You know, when you told me you were going to a gun show today, I almost asked if you were going to pick up some pearl-handled pistols!

* pictures Animal standing in front a large US flag in full uniform.
<i>"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. "</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:38 pm 
Cholma wrote:
You know, when you told me you were going to a gun show today, I almost asked if you were going to pick up some pearl-handled pistols!

<i>"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. "</i>

Shame on you! Patton's revolvers had ivory grips, not pearl. When a reporter once made that same mistake, Patton sharply corrected him, saying that "only ladies and pimps carry pearl-handled pistols."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:23 pm 
Animal wrote:
Cholma wrote:

Shame on you! Patton's revolvers had ivory grips, not pearl. When a reporter once made that same mistake, Patton sharply corrected him, saying that "only ladies and pimps carry pearl-handled pistols."

mostly 'cause pearl if youyr hand is sweating is hard to get a good grip on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:48 pm 
Animal wrote:

Well, damn. I don't recall that at all. Guess I owe you twenty pushups.

* steps away from laptop

*whew* Damn I'm getting old. Or at least out of shape! Those last 5 hurt. I can't even remember the last time I did *any* pushups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:15 pm 
Cholma wrote:
Animal wrote:

Well, damn. I don't recall that at all. Guess I owe you twenty pushups.

* steps away from laptop

*whew* Damn I'm getting old. Or at least out of shape! Those last 5 hurt. I can't even remember the last time I did *any* pushups.

I did 100 this morning, and I'm older than you!

Well, maybe it was 50.

Or 20.

Maybe it was 10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:30 pm 
You didn't happen to pick up any 20mm mini-guns at the show for Home Defense did you? A couple on the front and back porches makes for a great crime deterrent!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:22 pm 
Cholma wrote:
You didn't happen to pick up any 20mm mini-guns at the show for Home Defense did you? A couple on the front and back porches makes for a great crime deterrent!

What makes you think I didn't have those already? Remember those high windows on the top part of my house? Phalanx, baby!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:22 pm 
Sweet! Every man's castle needs a little Close In Weapon System!
You ever see that thing in action? Ooh, baby! That's a sight.

The Army used to have an Air Defense Artillery weapon called the Vulcan, which was a 6x20mm chaingun mounted on tracks. When that thing fired, it sounded like a giant rasberry echoing across the range! We'd be out on an FTX* and you suddenly hear this loud throaty BRRRRRAAAANNNNNNKKKK rumble through the air.

* FTX - Field Training Exercise for you non-Army types :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:15 pm 
Both the M163 and the Phalanx CIWS use the same cannon... the M61 Vulcan.

Incidentally, that's the same cannon used in pretty much all modern US fighter planes, from the F-104 Starfighter to the F-22 Raptor.

And it certainly kicks ass over pretty much any other rapid-fire cannon, apart the GAU-8 Avenger, but that's a whole 'nother ball game. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:51 pm 
Cholma wrote:
Sweet! Every man's castle needs a little Close In Weapon System!
You ever see that thing in action? Ooh, baby! That's a sight.

The Army used to have an Air Defense Artillery weapon called the Vulcan, which was a 6x20mm chaingun mounted on tracks. When that thing fired, it sounded like a giant rasberry echoing across the range! We'd be out on an FTX* and you suddenly hear this loud throaty BRRRRRAAAANNNNNNKKKK rumble through the air.

* FTX - Field Training Exercise for you non-Army types :)

Saw three of them going at once during Green Thunder '86 at Ft. Lewis, WA. Ya-hoo!