The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:06 pm 
This week's Army Times paper (16 Oct cover date) has an article about a new prototype Special Ops rifle, in production by FN Herstal, that might replace the current M4A1, Mk11, Mk12, and M14 rifles in use now. The SCAR as it's known (Special ops Combat Assault Rifle) comes in a "Light" and "Heavy" version, chambered in 5.56mm and 7.62mm respectively. The online version of story also includes a Windows Media video at the bottom of the page, showing test fires, disassembly and the modular 40mm grenade attachment.

Also in this week's paper was a story about a "Emergency Survival Kit" from Smith & Wesson for use as the ulimate way to survive a bear attack. The snub nose pistol comes in both .50 cal and .46 cal editions. Yikes! The inclusion of "Bear Attacks of the Century - True Stories of Courage and Survival" book by Larry Mueller and Marguerite Reiss is a nice touch. ;) (kit includes other basic survival gear: matches, mirror, blankets, etc)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:37 pm 
Good marketing plan, but I question the practicality of the mega-handguns Smith is pushing. I suspect they'll be too difficult for most people to shoot well.

If you're facing an angry bear, it's a lot better to hit him between the eyes with a .357 than to blow five holes in the sky with a .50 caliber. I can shoot my .357 with great accuracy, and I enjoy shooting it, so I practice more. I've had a couple of .44 Mags, and didn't really like them.

If I think I'll need that much power, I'll carry a rifle. I bought my .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun with retirement in Alaska in mind - it will be my companion on fishing trips in the bush.