The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:52 pm 
...only it's more fun since you both hunt, and are hunted :D

Best game I ever played was a free-for-all version of capture the flag. Everybody starts with one hand on a haybale. On said haybale is a flag. Ref calls "go" and everyone walks away from the haybale, at least 5 metres, and takes up position where they want. After 12 seconds (or so, Ref's decision), the ref calls fire. Then it's every man for themselves, get back to the haybale, and get the flag. The best part was that you could have about 12 guys playing this game, and there was little to no cover to hide behind. Serious fun! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:57 pm 
Paintball was just getting started when I was in college. One local guy had set up a course on about fifty acres of woods, and was running competitions every Saturday. This was about 1985, I guess; my little university's football team had a team and was cutting a pretty good swath through the contests until a bunch of us in the college's ROTC unit decided to take them on.

It was a massacre. Two eight-man teams; one of our guys took one paintball on the arm, and every one of the other team took multiple hits.

Those jocks had no concept of tactics. We set up one good ambush at a trail junction, the dumbasses came marching in single file down the trail, only a couple of feet between them. It was a scream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:32 pm 
The club I play with at uni has a couple of people who are in the Canadian Army, and most of the regulars own their own equipment and play regularily enough to know tactics. It's usually a good idea to follow the guy dressed in green army fatigues, and do as he says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:51 am 
The one time I played paintball was in the hills outside LA. It was rainy, my goggles fogged up the the point of opacity, and I got murdered. I was walking face-first into trees. It was pathetic.

I'd like to try it again on a sunnier day. And have some anti-fog stuff on the inside of my goggles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:05 pm 
And if you want a cool paintball comic, you can check out Barry T. Smith's Weak-End Warriors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:24 pm 
And if you still want more, check out The Whiteboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:40 pm 
Paintball's a blast. The first time I played I came home with some nasty welts, ;) but have fortunately avoided that on subsequent trips.

I just wish I could afford a really nice marker. I bought my own mask (Spectra Proteus) but I have to use the cheap field markers. It's a challenge to hit the proverbial "broad side of a barn" with those!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:13 pm 
Cholma wrote:
I just wish I could afford a really nice marker. I bought my own mask (Spectra Proteus) but I have to use the cheap field markers. It's a challenge to hit the proverbial "broad side of a barn" with those!

Got my own mask as well (Brass Eagle), but I agree with you on feild guns. It's kinda neat to watch the balls go curling off to the side like that, but really agrivating when you're trying to pin someone down. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:05 am 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

Hmm, I played paintball a few times... Spendy sport, that... Can't afford it, really.

But it was a lot of fun.

There was a rule that if you yelled "SURRENDER!" the other person could surrender without actually getting shot... Well I get juiced up on adrenalin so bad, last time I played, a Red snuck up behind me, about 6 feet away and yelled "SURRENDER!" and I turned, saw a Red, and opened fire. We "killed" each other, and both of us came away with several nice welts. Luckily he was a good sport about it and we both had a good laugh after the game.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:34 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I started an unofficial league with my fellow staffers and Cineplex....We're now challenging other companies to play with us

http://www.livejournal.com/users/jawsisstuck/ Cause everyone else is doing it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:30 pm 
Oh man! Paintball! SO much fun!

I've played capture the flag before, but in a different way. We had 5-6 of us on the ground, and one guy who was at the top of a tower. He held the flag and shot down at everyone, and we had to keep him distracted and try to climb up. ARGH it was harder than it sounds HOWEVER from the bottom of the hill I shot his forhead, and I bragged about that for awhile :P

...yay paintball and big courses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:10 pm 
I once played a variety called "revolutionary."

You get two teams in a line, facing each other from opposite sides of the field. You fire one shot, then advance. And so on until all players are eliminated.

It's probably pretty accurate, since field guns are probably as (or less) accurate than Revonlutionary-era muskets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:36 pm 
asim wrote:
I once played a variety called "revolutionary."

Yeah, I played that one last year on one the speed ball fields the place we go to has. It's fun, especially since to make it more accurate, your hopper has to be empty, and load each shot individually after each step. :)

Only 2 more weeks and it'll be time for this year's event. We play every year on Armed Forces Day Weekend (May 15).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:51 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Location: Once upon a time there was a kingdom called Denmark...
Ogredude wrote:
Hmm, I played paintball a few times... Spendy sport, that... Can't afford it, really.

But it was a lot of fun.

There was a rule that if you yelled "SURRENDER!" the other person could surrender without actually getting shot... Well I get juiced up on adrenalin so bad, last time I played, a Red snuck up behind me, about 6 feet away and yelled "SURRENDER!" and I turned, saw a Red, and opened fire. We "killed" each other, and both of us came away with several nice welts. Luckily he was a good sport about it and we both had a good laugh after the game.

I had almost the same experince, except that the term "surrender" wasn't included in the game!

The game took place at an abandoned farm, and while sneaking around and old wagon parked in the yard, I suddenly came face to face with my opponent at a 4 yard distance! We were both caught by surprise and fired one shot instinctively. I was shot in the neck, making me gasp for breath while I hit him at the side of his ear, drawing blood. We were both out of the game, but had much fun of the incident.

The funniest incident I remember was in a game of "capture the flag". Or flaghill was under attack, but both we and the attackers had pinned each other down where neither part could make a move. This went on for a while when I suddenly ran out of ammunition. "Hell to that I thought", threw my gun to my teammate and started running...in the opposite direction of the battle! Actually I made a full circle, avoiding the entire battlefield and managed to find the opponents flag left unprotected. I grapped the flag and ran for my homebase but made a small error in navigation and landed in the middle of the battlefield! I was discovered immediately, and instead of turning back unarmed, I went into full throttle, running through the field towards our hill! I swear I head bullets zipping like mosquitos all around me as every oponent came out of hiding to get a clear shot at poor me! At the same time my teammembers emerged from the hidingspots to bodily protect me while the gunned down the enemy! I actually entered the flagzone flying, with the enemy flag, unscathered and totally out of breath! 8-)

I tried the same stunt a few hours later in another game, but was shot about 50 yards before I one again was in my own zone with their flag...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:14 am 
Not long ago I played a version similar to "Revoltionary Soldier" called "Civil War". Each player got 50 paintballs but they could only have one in the gun and one in the hand. The rest were in a tube/sack/whatever at the waist. You could move, run, hide, or whatever, but the rate of fire went down A LOT. Especially since we had guys out there that were going through 200 rounds per 20 minute game. It was kind of fun to see the difference in play between 25 rounds per second and 25 seconds per round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:35 am 
And then sometimes you need an area dineal weapon
http://corin.com/bill/paintball/aircannon/
can fire about 40 at a time or about 400 if you use the 6mm paintballs
cheap only costs about $30.00 to build :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:52 pm 

In the Civil war, and for the bulk of the grunts in the Revolutionary war, you 1) didn't have a very good weapon, and 2) had little to no training with it.

You were trained to point your gun at the enemy line, then pull the trigger on command. I'd have to dig out the statistics, but it ended up being something insane like 1,000 rounds to each actual wound.

Needless to say, most paintball guns are a lot more accurate, and the people holding them are generally a bit more comfortable with how they shoot.

(All right, Americans win the toss. You get to hide behind trees and rocks, and wear anything you want. British, you get to wear bright red, and march in straight lines)

BW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:52 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
And then sometimes you need an area dineal weapon
http://corin.com/bill/paintball/aircannon/
can fire about 40 at a time or about 400 if you use the 6mm paintballs
cheap only costs about $30.00 to build :twisted:

I built one of those one time. It was great.

The only problem with it was having to lug around a great bolshy air tank to refill it with, and I only had 1 refill. (This was before the fancy compressed air thingies they have now with the umpteen zillion PSI)

It threw quite a load of paint.

Although, I've had extremely bad luck with the 6mm paintballs... Friend and I were shooting them at each other with our airsoft pistols, and they were just bouncing. Finally, I picked one up and squeezed... and squeezed... and squeezed... and I had a flat paintball. It took a knife to pierce one of them, and it had this teensy little drop of paint in it that made a blotch on my finger hardly bigger than the round itself...

Is this the case with all of them, or did I get my hands on some *really* cheap ones?

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:04 am 
Maveric wrote:
Cholma wrote:

Got my own mask as well (Brass Eagle), but I agree with you on feild guns. It's kinda neat to watch the balls go curling off to the side like that, but really agrivating when you're trying to pin someone down. :?

Get youself a wrist rocket modify the pouch and practice [makes a great ambush weapon :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:08 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Ha. Because of the "spendy" part, I can't play paintball. I had a friend who was into it, though.

He tells the tale of how incredibly stupid some of his opponents were. In one game, ALL the enemy players wanted a piece, so they ALL formed a trench skirmish line.

Yes, left the flag undefended, and didn't watch their sixes.

He went around the skirmish line, snuck up on it from behind, and tapped em all at point blank. Oh, did they complain about that one.

Then there was the time he boobytrapped the flag. Oh, the fun you can have with a paintball grenade, a roll of fishing line, and a bunch of anxious idiot opponents.