The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fajitas!!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:51 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

MmmmMMmmmm....

I did sizzling fajitas for dinner tonight, because it's Veteran's Day and I wanted to give my dad a special meal...

They were a hit.

I frenched a few onions, slivered a few bell peppers (green, red, orange, yellow), sliced a round steak into nice and thin strips.

Set the oven to 500°, put in three 8" cast iron skillets (empty).

Smashed up a bunch of garlic, sweated the garlic and the onions till the onions were just startin to go transparent, removed them to a bowl. Sweated the bell peppers till they just started to go soft, removed them to a bowl.

More garlic in the pan, heat on high, seared the steak strips, then heat to medium, dumped in a packet of fajita seasoning and the juice from one can of diced tomatoes, simmered for about a minute.

Dumped in the onions and bell peppers, stirred vigorously, and simmered, stirring occasionally, till the bell peppers and onions were al dente. Dumped in can of diced tomatoes, stirred around for a few seconds, and the fajita filling is ready.

While this is going on, (and this is a VERY important step), make sure someone gets plates and utensils on the table, drinks for everyone, sour cream, salsa, with serving utensils, heated flour tortillas, and cleared spaces at each place setting. Make sure everyone is seated at the table and ready to go before starting the next step.

Use slabs of wood under the cast iron skillets, and don't worry about the scorch marks, because if you're doing this, there WILL be scorch marks on your wood. Put the skillets on the wood plaques and MOVE FAST at this point.

Slap the skillets full of fajita filling, and rush them out to the table. The fajitas should sizzle for about a minute, if you've got your cast iron hot enough. Now, sit down with your family and gorge yourself.

IMMEDIATELY after dinner, scrub the cast iron with steel wool in water, no soap. Dry thoroughly, and use a paper towel dampened with cooking oil to rub every surface of the cast iron, then rub the skillets clean with a dry paper towel. This will ensure that the cure stays put nicely.

Anyways, it was a huge hit. Dad said he enjoyed that better than going out for dinner. I'm happy. And full. Oof.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:02 am 
Wow. *pens down steps*

When I move off campus I'm cooking that everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:30 am 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

If you don't have cast iron already, do not settle for anything but Lodge brand. They are bar none the best.

This is coming from a serious cast iron junky, who's tried many many brands.

Lodge is the thickest and the sturdiest and holds on to a cure the best. I can start a thread if need be about cast iron care.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:54 am 
For an easier, quicker, and in general safer aproach, it is possible to make the fajitas in a steel skillet over a range. You will not really be able to serve them sizziling, but they taste great just the same.

Also, I noticed a suspicious lack of green chile in your recipe. I am sure your fajita seasoning had some chile in it, but it was most likely red. Green is the way to go. Slice up some green and add it in with all the juices... delicious.

On another note, I would like to add that I have never found a good place for Mexican food outside of New Mexico. Our style is simply the best. If you are ever in the state, be sure to try some New Mexican cuisine. And be sure to get a breakfast burito from the Frontier if you are in Albuquerque.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:11 am 
Jalapenos work with it really well too