The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:37 pm 
In my days of bachelorhood, I've ended up with many an empty cuboard.By dint of this, many impromptu meals have been founded. To be perfectly honest, I'm not an incredible cook - I can impromptu stuff to be edible and at least non-toxic, but impressive tends to elude me, not least due to growing up with a very meat-and-potatoes kind of diet where 'creative cooking' involved my younger brother getting into the spices cabinet halfway through preperation...

So here's the idea: I'll list a number of basic ingredients that I've actually had in the cuboard at times, and I'm curious to see what other people will think of with regards to a recipie...
Generally speaking, the 'very basic' extras are avalable - salt, pepper, butter, milk, Mixed Veggies (frozen peas, carrots, corn, beans), tomato soup/sauce, onions (nevuh run out of onions, dood!), some spices (Oregano, cinnamon, paprika, chilli, chives, etc - but more exotic stuff, not so much), etc. In fact, it was usually the bigger items (carbohydrates, meat) that were the choke points in the meal.

1. Rice. Soy sauce, eggs, bacon/sausages are avalable, and possibly a broccoli in the chiller.
    2. Rice again. This time with a can of canned tuna. Is this even salvagable?
    3. Potatoes, fish, mixed veg.
    4. Sausages, spagetti.
    5. Mince(aka Ground beef), potatoes or rice, mixed veg.

So. Any bright ideas on how to make these edible? You don't have to use all of the ingredients, but these are what I've sometimes literally had in the cuboards...
And I'm terribly curious as to whether anyone has something better than 'stick it all in a pot and hope it works'. ;)[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:28 pm 
you may have been a bachelor, but you were never a poor college student =P

That said, Ramen noodles make a fairly good 'base' for stir fry if you run out of rice.

Cook the ramen per package instructions, but leave them a bit underdone, drain, rinse (always rinse ramen, this gets rid of the wax used to preserve the noodles) and set aside, put some oil in a large pan, and get it hot, dump in veggies (since you said you were missing meat, I won't add it, but if you have it cube chicken or pork and cook completely first before veggies) let them get mostly done, add ramen, add soy sauce and whatever spices seem 'chinese'y stir, add an egg. cook at high temp stirring constantly, until the egg is cooked through.

The 'poor college student' recepie leaves out the veggies, and sometimes the egg, depending....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:25 pm 
Hey, I was so a college student.
...I just spent all my beer money on food. :P

The ramen trick is good, though. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:19 am 
Reaver wrote:
    1. Rice. Soy sauce, eggs, bacon/sausages are avalable, and possibly a broccoli in the chiller.
    2. Rice again. This time with a can of canned tuna. Is this even salvagable?
    3. Potatoes, fish, mixed veg.
    4. Sausages, spagetti.
    5. Mince(aka Ground beef), potatoes or rice, mixed veg.
[/list]

1. That's stir fry in a nutshell.
2. Boiled rice. Live with it.
3. Lemon pepper (a fairly basic spice) fish with mixed veggies and baked potato. Heck, that's practically servable to guests.
4. Sausages actually make good meatballs. Assuming you have a can of Ragu handy, you're set.
5. This is actually easier for me, since I possess a bread machine and always have flour on hand. I'd make burgers.

How about a challange?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:10 pm 
Cook rice serve with canned tuna and shoyu. (ultra lazy)

Bake sliced potatoes with meat and whatever veggies you like, seasoned to taste wrapped in foil, throw into oven at 350 for an hour. (Just lazy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:20 am 
We went for the cheap route when I was growing up. Ground beef and gravy over rice. Occasionally we had mixed veggies or broccoli with it as well. The end. Not much of a challenge, really, I know.