The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegetarian Chili
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:22 am 
Yeah, I know it heresy to make a vegetarian chili (unless it's Texas Chainsaw Chili made with vegetarians, I guess... but long pork isn't very healthy, so I'll pass on the Chili con Hombre), but I was in a weird mood and wanted a chili that wouldn't push my diet into the red zone. It came out ok, actually, but really, it wasn't what most people would call chili.

Vegetarian Chili Experiment #1
17 cups

2 cups Dark Kidney beans, dried
1/2 c navy beans, dried
1/4 c black beans, pinto beans, cannelli beans, dried
1 cup cracked bulghur
1/8c roasted kasha
1 med onion, diced
1 fresh tomato, diced
1/2 cup kernel corn
12 oz tomato paste
8oz tomato sauce
1 1/2 cup salsa
2 tbsp garlic
2 jalepeno peppers, finely diced
2 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp tabasco sauce
1/2 tsp worcheshire sauce

Reconstituted dry beans, drained. Diced and sauteed onion and jalepenos. Put onions and peppers in pot, added 4 cups water, bulghur, beans, and remaining ingredients. Simmered for 20 minutes.

Notes: The rationale behind this was that the mixture of the bulghur wheat and the different sized beans were supposed to (according so the recipe I was vaguely basing this on) simulate the texture of a beef chili. Since I wanted to make more than the original called for, and I wasn't using some of the odder ingredients (like carrots!), I increased the amount of both beans and grain by fourfold.

The ingredient balance was way off, esp. the bulghur and the tomato. I added the salsa to try and add more tomato, but I really needed about half again as much tomato paste, if not twice as much. The bulghur (which really does do a passable job making a meat-like texture) expanded far more than I anticipated, and even with the huge amount of beans, it dominated the chili.

WW Points: Onion (1) + kidney beans (8) + navy beans (4) + black beans (2) + pinto beans (2) + cannelli beans(1) + tomato paste (1) + corn (1) + kasha (1) = 23 / 17 = 2 for 3 cups

Notice the ratio of points to cups. I did not make that up. Hail Eris.