It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite breakfast foods
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:22 pm 
Here's one of mine:

"MEXICAN" TORTILLA STRIPS

4 tortillas, cut into ~1/2" wide strips
2 eggs per person
2 tbs. salsa per person (really to taste)
some grated jack cheese
enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of your frying pan

Put the oil in the pan and get it hot. Toss the tortilla strips into the pan and cook them until they're stiff. While the tortillas are frying, crack your eggs in a bowl and whip them up with a fork like you're going to make scrambles. Mix the salsa into the eggs, and pour it over the tortilla strips. Once the eggs set, sprinkle the cheese over the top, turn off the heat, cover the pan, and let it sit for 1 minute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:25 pm 
Bacon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:27 pm 
Cheereos with sliced banana and milk (2% is best, but 1% will do in a pinch).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:36 pm 
Breakfast tacos, of course.

(I like cereal right before I go to bed)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:59 pm 
Official Village Idiot

On the rare occasions that I actually bother with breakfast, I generally have an avacado, a pear, a glass of milk, and some coffee. Otherwise it's a cup of coffee and an early lunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:08 pm 
Bagles. Nothing beats bagles when you have no time to make a breakfast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:35 pm 
Energizer Bunny

Fried eggs on buttered-right-out-of-the-toaster-so-it-melts-in whole wheat toast.

With Bacon on the side.

On days when I don't feel like that, Total Raisin Bran. Dry.

Vorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:07 pm 
Pancakes with blueberry syrup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:19 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

Depends on how ambitious I am feeling... I'd have to go with my three favorites...

Potatoes O'Brien and fried eggs.

Belgian waffle, nice and crispy.

Cheese blintzes.

Oh, and when I'm camping, there's nothing quite like a breakfast of fresh-caught brook trout fried up in a cast iron skillet over the campfire.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:25 pm 
Bacon. Eggs, sunny side up. Hash browns. Toast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:34 pm 
Cheese!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:38 pm 
Omletes if someone will make them for me. I always mess it up.

When my dad was still active duty in the Navy we would go to the officer's club for easter brunch. Now that was a good meal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:51 pm 
On Sundays I always make scrambled eggs. I've become quite good at them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:02 am 
The General wrote:

When I make scrambled eggs I add a bit of milk. Is that standard practice of just me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:02 am 
I always do. Water makes for fluffier eggs, but milk enhances the flavor noticeably, which is far more important. I always assumed it was normal but my roommate blanched at the idea. Maybe he just doesn't make scrambled eggs very often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:31 am 
I eat pizza. Or hamburgers. Sometimes frozen dinners.

I don't care for "breakfast food" - and I tend to wake up after lunchtime. ;)

Although, I do enjoy a Bagel of Sin, though I'm just as likely to eat them for dinner.

1 bagel with everything
[2 slices of cheese] (not for me, I'm lactose intolerant)
3 sausage patties
4 rasher of bacon

Then you stack it...

Bagel top
cheese
bacon
sausage
bacon
sausage
bacon
sausage
bacon
cheese
Bagel bottom

It's yummy. And full of pig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:46 am 
Woapalanne wrote:
I eat pizza. Or hamburgers. Sometimes frozen dinners.

I don't care for "breakfast food" - and I tend to wake up after lunchtime. ;)

Although, I do enjoy a Bagel of Sin, though I'm just as likely to eat them for dinner.

1 bagel with everything
[2 slices of cheese] (not for me, I'm lactose intolerant)
3 sausage patties
4 rasher of bacon

Then you stack it...

Bagel top
cheese
bacon
sausage
bacon
sausage
bacon
sausage
bacon
cheese
Bagel bottom

It's yummy. And full of pig.

That is the bagel from heaven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:49 am 
But, you see, I'm Jewish. ;) And there's nothing quite as traditionally Jewish as a bagel. Then you pile tref food llike sausage and bacon on it... and mixing meat and dairy on one plate is supertref, but I can't do dairy, so I can't be quite as sinful. :(

It's really yummy. And GREAT for when you have a hangover, except for all those popping noises in the frying pan that try to make your head explode x_X

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:12 am 
Lucky Charms cereal or bagel and cream cheese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:45 am 
SirGecko wrote:
The General wrote:

When I make scrambled eggs I add a bit of milk. Is that standard practice of just me?

Nope, I do too. That's how I learned to make them.

Another good breakfast is a toasted sesame seed bagle, with cheese, bacon, and an egg, over easy. Eat as a sandwich. They make these at Manhattan Bagle. mmmmmmmmm....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:01 pm 
Turkey bacon, with scrambled eggs (usually 1 whole egg and some egg whites) and a toasted english muffin with jam.

Or french toast...yum.

Sausage for special occasions :)

That's for weekends/days off though :)

My favourite cereal is Shreddies. Also like Cheerios and Raisin Bran :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:01 pm 
Call me old-fashioned, but I like a couple of slices of mutigrain toast with Vegemite on one and jarrah honey on the other, plus white tea without sugar and an apple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:37 pm 
Gwalla and Animal, you guys must have a degree in 'What Gyoza Likes' because both your breakfasts are just the type I wish I could have everyday.

I usually get up 5 minutes before classes, so no time for eating at all. On rare occasions that I have a couple spare minutes, I go with leftovers from the previous night's dorm food: usually a pack of Doritos and Hershey's Fudge milkshake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:39 pm 
Depends on what kind of time I have and what kind of preplanning I do as well. Toast or muffins(the fresh made from scratch kind) if I have to get kids out the door early. Lazy sundays though I sometimes go for the big brunch of eggs scrambled with cheese, coffee cake or muffins and sausage or bacon.

Here's a yummy oatmeal muffin reciepe that I came up,

1 1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup rolled oats (though you can use granola too :) )
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts(or what ever else you like in the way of nuts :twisted:, hazel nuts are also yummy)2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon

3/4 cup milk
1/4 oil
1 egg
mix up the dry ingredents then add the wet ingredents all at once and mix just until everything is combined. Fill greased muffin tins about 1/2 way up. Mix about 2 tablespoons each of brown suger, oatmeal and chopped nuts along with about 1 tsp cinnamon and sprinkle on top of muffins. Bake in a 400F degree oven for about 20 min.

Makes about 1 dozen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:44 pm 
SirGecko wrote:
The General wrote:

Use some half & half or light cream instead. It's even better. Not much though.

Heavy cream is pushing it, however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:01 pm 
Woapalanne wrote:
But, you see, I'm Jewish. ;) And there's nothing quite as traditionally Jewish as a bagel. Then you pile tref food llike sausage and bacon on it... and mixing meat and dairy on one plate is supertref, but I can't do dairy, so I can't be quite as sinful. :(

It's really yummy. And GREAT for when you have a hangover, except for all those popping noises in the frying pan that try to make your head explode x_X
]

Bagels are perfect for backpacking. I take a bunch of them and make up sandwiches with cream cheese and hard salami.

Bread will disintegrate in a pack, but bagels are like little tires. They last.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:04 pm 
Animal wrote:
Woapalanne wrote:

]

Bagels are perfect for backpacking. I take a bunch of them and make up sandwiches with cream cheese and hard salami.

So does pita bread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:07 pm 
SirGecko wrote:
Animal wrote:
Woapalanne wrote:

]

So does pita bread.

I tried that once, and it did work, but I like bagels better. Coupla bagel sandwiches, a couple apples, a couple bottles of water, and I'm good for the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:18 pm 
Official Village Idiot

gwalla wrote:
SirGecko wrote:
The General wrote:

Use some half & half or light cream instead. It's even better. Not much though.

Heavy cream is pushing it, however.

In the "strange but good" category, you might try using a bit of Irish cream sometime. That's if you don't mind your eggs a bit sweet, of course.

Another good place for Irish cream is in pancake batter, or as part of the dipping mix for French toast. Don't worry about the alcohol - it cooks out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:52 am 
Animal wrote:
SirGecko wrote:
Animal wrote:
Woapalanne wrote:

]

So does pita bread.

I tried that once, and it did work, but I like bagels better. Coupla bagel sandwiches, a couple apples, a couple bottles of water, and I'm good for the day.

I guess it depends on the quality of bagels you get. I've tried bagles before but they got the really cheep ones so there were more like bread rolls than bagels.

But I can't exactly expect my normal backpacking group to understand the concept of good food giving you energy because their favorite hiking activity is chugging honey. It's pretty fun, but you run out pretty quickly. And too many bottles of honey can add weight to your pack. That and mixing Tang/gatoraid mix in their mouths. That way you don't have to take out your cup if its in your bag or already up in the bear bags.