The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bachelor Chow
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:08 pm 
Nightstar Graveyard Daemon

Okay, another listing... it's midafternoon and you just got home, and you know you have to cook but you're too lazy to "cook cook". So you end up whipping out a quick batch of Bachelor Chow. What's that for you?

I'm particular to the Nissin Cup Noodles. Cook 'em up with a drop of Dave's Insanity Sauce and you've got and interesting cup of slop.

If I'm willing to get a little more fancy, I'll make pork or oriental Top Ramen, then pan-fry the noodles. I heat up the skillet, drain the noodles and toss them into the skillet. The INSTANT they hit the skillet I sprinkle the flavor packet over the noodles, 'cause the moisture left on them is *just* enough to reconstitute the flavoriing. This is a good meal to work with because once I'm in the kitchen, sometimes the desire to not cook leaves and I end up making a full batch of "real" stir-fry to go with my noodles--I toss in frozen veggies and then, at the last minute, scramble a couple of eggs into the mess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:39 pm 
GARTH'S RAMEN THAT DOESN'T SUCK

1 package Cup Noodle
2 splashes soy sauce
1 dash Japanese rice seasoning mix
hot pepper oil to taste

Make the cup noodle as it says on the package, but add the other ingredients into the cup before covering. Tastes pretty decent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:40 pm 
Official Village Idiot

This is probably too work-intensive to be real bachelor chow, but it's still pretty easy.

Ingrediments:
1 can beef broth
1 lb fresh mushrooms
1 lb beef roast (optional)
1 package beef Ramen
3 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp ground black pepper
a pinch of rosemary
a splash of Madeira
2 cups water

Throw everything but the noodles (go ahead and add the flavor packet) in a crockpot and turn it on. Go to work. When you get home and are about ready for dinner, add the noodles and 2 more cups of hot water. Wait a half hour. Serve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:47 pm 

Beef Roast? Rosemary?!?

Take your skirt off, Julia. That's not Bachelor Chow. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:52 pm 
Bread and bread crumbs
Left over cheese
Chips
Pepperoni

Place together somehow, whether in a ball of a stack, and eat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:56 pm 
Official Village Idiot

Chalain wrote:
Beef Roast? Rosemary?!?

Take your skirt off, Julia. That's not Bachelor Chow. :P

Well, by "beef roast" I mean the precubed stuff that comes in a plastic tub for $1.50/lb in the butcher section at Wal-Mart. And by "rosemary" I mean screw you. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:43 am 
Ahem.

Take meet.

Throw on grill.

Take off.

Eat.

You can have bread or something with it if you want. I had a club that I used to belong to in my first high school that involved nothing but going out and doing service prodjects while following this recipe for food to the extreme. It is called Meet club. (It was mostly guys, but not all, and mostly wrestlers or football players. I played football and wrestled for one year and so I had a few freinds that did one or the other. We also had a few vegitarians. I'm not sure what they did for food at the meetings though.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:23 am 
Energizer Bunny

Hokay. You're gonna need one bottle Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce (Frank's Red Hot works too - other buffalo wing sauces should work too, but I don't know of any. it must be premade, though.), one packet of Good Seasons Italian dressing mix, some boneless chicken breasts, some portuguese rolls (the best for this, but you can use hamburger buns or whatever), some blue cheese salad dressing (I use Newman's Own), and some leaf lettuce (optional).

Mix a whole bottle of the frank's up with the packet of dressing mix, in a small saucepan. Cook it till it's nice and hot.

Flour the chicken breasts, then put them in a skillet that's been heated to saute-ing strength.

Baste the chicken breasts Very Liberally with the frank's stuff. Don't just pour it on, though.

After about 5 minutes, flip them over, baste very liberally again, wait 5, then take them off.

The sandwich is just a chicken breast and a leaf of lettuce (again, optional), dressed with the blue cheese dressing.

They call these "sliders". You'll figure out why when you eat one.

Vorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:52 am 
Kraft Dinner. Boil water, cook noodles, drain, add milk, margarine, and powdered cheese. Eat straight from the pot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:02 am 
My "Bachelorette Chow"

A quickly skillet-fried quesadilla with La Victoria taco sauce I have to have shipped over from the west coast.

A quick batch of pasta with pesto sauce.

Cheese toast, if I'm really lazy.

Or a yogurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:11 pm 
Blackened chicken breast, preferably fresh with skin and the bone, as God intended. I usually use any assortment of peppers at hand, usually black and some crushed red. And seasoning salt. Grilled on the good ole' George Foreman.

Toast cooked in a frying pan, via buttering the pan then laying the bread within.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:14 pm 
My bachelor chow during my last year of college:

Late at night, go for walk with wrist-rocket and steel ball bearings in coat pockets, and dog on leash.

See rabbit. If rabbit is in open field far from cover, unleash dog, point at rabbit and say 'fetch.' If rabbit is near cover, stalk and whack in head with ball bearing shot from wrist rocket.

Dress rabbit. Give rabbit innards to dog as treat. Quarter rabbit, roll in flour and pepper, fry. Yummy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:39 pm 
Animal wrote:
My bachelor chow during my last year of college:

Late at night, go for walk with wrist-rocket and steel ball bearings in coat pockets, and dog on leash.

See rabbit. If rabbit is in open field far from cover, unleash dog, point at rabbit and say 'fetch.' If rabbit is near cover, stalk and whack in head with ball bearing shot from wrist rocket.

Dress rabbit. Give rabbit innards to dog as treat. Quarter rabbit, roll in flour and pepper, fry. Yummy.

Well, thats definatly the cheapest option so far.

Maybe not to easy for everyone, but the most entertaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:17 pm 

Vorn the Unspeakable wrote:
Flour the chicken... Baste the chicken

This sounds like a good recipe. However, I guess I misrepresented the definition of Bachelor Chow.

I meant "something that's easy to cook. So easy, that you're willing to cook it when you really don't feel like cooking." I call it Bachelor Chow because the thing guys are willing to sacrifice the most when they don't want to cook is the finesse or quality of the meal.

The perfect compromise is something resembling Alpo in consistency and texture that requires almost no cooking effort at all. "Open can. Maybe heat up."

I'm willing to accept that some people like to cook, and/or have much (much) higher standards than me when it comes to eating their own glop. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:51 pm 
I understood what Bachelor Chow was. "/

My I don't wanna cook food is real simple, take fish, sprinkle on lemon pepper and lemon juice (from the squeeze bottle that looks like a lemon) grill, eat. If being fancy, insert "put fish on plate" between steps 3 and 4.

Since I moved, and have a 20 minute drive to the gulf, I don't make this as much as I did when I lived within 5 minutes of good salt water fishing. I've got to get some decent fresh water tackle (I live within walking distance from a good fishing river now. 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:55 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

MMMmmmm, fish.

Hopefully this year the bluegill in the front yard will be big enough to eat. And there's a couple bass ponds right down the road which I have permission to fish in anytime.

Don't even need a license, they're both private ponds.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:57 pm 
Rakka wrote:
My "Bachelorette Chow"

A quickly skillet-fried quesadilla with La Victoria taco sauce I have to have shipped over from the west coast.

That really is good salsa, isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:01 am 
Energizer Bunny

For REAL bachelor chow, uh, hm.

Well, apples are good.

And so is crusty bread.

Salami dipped in mustard too.

Vorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:15 am 
Goldfish.

It's the meal that smiles back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:38 am 

Rakka wrote:

Oh, MAN. That reminds me... here's a bachelor chow meal that takes a bit of preparation, but once you've done the hard work, you can make megatasty BC anytime you want.

When I lived with the Taylers (Howard and Sandra Tayler, as seen on the Schlock Mercenary forum), we would go once or twice a year to the store and buy a few pounds of anaheim chili peppers (the long pointy green ones). Put them on a cookie sheet and broil them just long enough to sear them. Remove from oven, and run them under cold water. The skins can then be removed fairly easily, leaving the meat of the pepper behind.

Slice the peppers open & clean out the seeds; now you've got pepper "filets" on your cutting board. Mince them into teeeeeny little bits (like maybe 1/16" square). Think relish--you'll be spreading it with a butterknife. Scoop the relish into an empty jar, dribble a tsp or so of vinegar over it--just enough to keep it wet (this prevents the peppers from turning brown) and place in the fridge. This will keep for months. It won't last that long, however....

The next time you want quick and easy AND TASTY Bachelor Chow, get out the griddle, the peppers, some cheese and a tortilla. Dab a pat of butter on the griddle and turn the heat up high. Now, quick, grate some cheese. About the time the butter starts to sizzle, slap an open tortilla onto it. Sprinkle the cheese on half of the tortilla. Open the pepper jar and use a butterknife to wipe as much or as little pepper on the other half of the tortilla. I usually use less than 1/2tsp. Add more if you want more heat, but what you're really after here is the heavenly flavor.

As soon as you're done with the peppers, grab a spatula and close the tortilla. Wait 30 seconds or so for the tortilla to brown up, then flip it and brown the other side.

Serve with a glop of sour cream.

Months after I moved out of the Taylers', I lamented to Sandra the fact that I hadn't had a good tortilla in forever because I was too lazy to roast my own chilis, and she gave me half a bottle of the peppers. Bless her!

I went back to my apartment and made a tortilla, then sat down to watch TV with my roommates. A moment later, one of them looked at me and said, "Dude, you're enjoying that tortilla way too much."

I had been "MMmmmmmm"-ing with each bite.

Yes, it's that good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:04 am 
Ogredude wrote:
MMMmmmm, fish.

My bachelor chow: Poached whiting (which someone else has caught and cleaned) with soy sauce. Quick and easy. Had that today with a tomato and some cos lettuce (sliced -- not peeled leaf by leaf, that takes too long :)) to launder the guilt out of having gone to Unlucky Fried Kitten the other day.

Or if I'm really lazy, mum's spaghetti sauce with any cheap beef (diced), half an onion (shredded) and home brand pasta.

About rosemary and other herbs, I have some growing in my garden. They are useful for making cheap meat taste expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:07 pm 
SirGecko wrote:

Depends on how much a 'wrist rocket' costs. Plus, remember, you have to take care of the dog.

gwalla wrote:

Oh, god, yes. People here look at me like I'm nuts when I complain I can't find any good "green" taco sauce.

"What, you mean guacamole?"

"....no."

Thank goodness I've got grandparents in California.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:22 pm 
Rakka wrote:
SirGecko wrote:

Depends on how much a 'wrist rocket' costs. Plus, remember, you have to take care of the dog.

Wrist rocket cost, at that time, about five bucks; I got the ball bearings for free. And part of my motivation was taking care of the dog; I'd had her before I got into a tight financial spot my last year of school, and she had to eat, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:32 pm 
There is no chili but green.

Red is for pansies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:25 pm 
DarthBaboon wrote:

Red is for pansies.

Green chille shall rule the world someday. Its weird because the color of ones chili changes as you go through our state. The north is green and the south is red. Some people are quite passionate about their choice of chile. I fear that war may break out someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:29 pm 
SirGecko wrote:
DarthBaboon wrote:

Red is for pansies.

Green chille shall rule the world someday. Its weird because the color of ones chili changes as you go through our state. The north is green and the south is red. Some people are quite passionate about their choice of chile. I fear that war may break out someday.

That's odd. Now that you mention it, a buddy and I once spent an evening eating Mexican food and quaffing cerveza in Silver City, and as I recall red chile was the only chile offered.

Silver City's a pretty cool town, by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:30 pm 
DarthBaboon wrote:

Red is for pansies.

They're really not that different.

*starts looking for cover*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:49 pm 
Rakka wrote:
gwalla wrote:

Oh, god, yes. People here look at me like I'm nuts when I complain I can't find any good "green" taco sauce.

"What, you mean guacamole?"

"....no."

Thank goodness I've got grandparents in California.

Ah, the green stuff. I thought you meant the red (La Victoria makes both kinds). Yeah, the tomatillo salsa is excellent too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:04 am 
The General wrote:
DarthBaboon wrote:

Red is for pansies.

They're really not that different.

*starts looking for cover*

:snipersmile:

You cannot hide forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:54 pm 
Sweet Orental ramen:

1 packet cooked and drained ramen noodles
1 oriental flavor packet
~1 tbsp honey (I didn't measure, I just poured)

Coat the bottom of a frying pan with oil, mix cooked ramen/packet/honey, fry in oiled pan until honey starts to caramlise in the bottom of the pan (my noodles were juuuust starting to stick to the pan, because they had sopped all of the oil up)
add salt to taste, enjoy!

(it turned out rather sweet, which I like, personally)