All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:37 pm 
Animal wrote:
SirGecko wrote:
DarthBaboon wrote:
There is no chili but green.

Red is for pansies.

Green chille shall rule the world someday. Its weird because the color of ones chili changes as you go through our state. The north is green and the south is red. Some people are quite passionate about their choice of chile. I fear that war may break out someday.

That's odd. Now that you mention it, a buddy and I once spent an evening eating Mexican food and quaffing cerveza in Silver City, and as I recall red chile was the only chile offered.

Silver City's a pretty cool town, by the way.

Well it's not a rule. Maybe I'm just off my rocker and making wild assumptions. All I know is that both Los Alamos and Albuquerque and green towns and all others should be ashamed if they are not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:01 am 
Oh, what the hell:

6 eggs, heavily seasoned with Morton's Nature's Seasons and a generous portion of cayenne pepper. Obviously these have to be added after cooking (seems spicing the eggs before cooking results in no flavor). Total cost: 1 buck, give or take a few cents. ;)

The same seasoning works with a lot of other things, a favorite being chicken breast strips. Just cut them very small, toss them into a pan with some butter, and cook until they just start to turn that golden color. The small pieces make the flavor sink in, so it'll be incredibly rich. Eat it with something bland if you don't like that (plain white rice works).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:17 am 
And a Crock Pot. Hey, it keeps Pi fed, too.

Here's an example. Chicken and Rice.

Start with a dozen cups of water in a slow cooker. Add chicken and seasonings, and wander away for a while. The seasonings I add? Garlic, poultry seasoning, and whatever I feel like at the moment. Oh, and boullion powder. I prefer the granulated powder, because it doesn't stick so much. I don't use exact amounts, I just cook by feel and taste.

Anyway, give it a couple of hours playing whatever before you come back. Add a couple of cans of chicken broth and take out the chicken to cool, then get the water to a boil for the rice. Figure five cups of rice, add to the hot water, and cover for a while. Go play your computer game about a quarter hour.

Come back, wash your hands and break up the chicken and throw it into the slow cooker, and stir things up. Reduce heat, and serve with appropriate condiments. I like a bit of butter and seasoned salt.

The nice part about this? Leftovers. Throw some into a bowl later on, add butter and seasoned salt, and you've got another quick meal out of it. Or you can get creative... If you let it settle, and you're willing to try your hand at things, there's always Fried Rice.

Mmmmm... I need to get some chicken. Too bad the roomie won't be here this weekend, but we'll have house guests before Fandemonium.... An interesting notion.

If you're willing to do some prep work, you can learn to love leftovers. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:38 am 
Flied Lice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:51 pm 
If I need to eat fast:

Pasta & canned red sauce & lightly fried bacon. Or fresh french bread, olive oil and some dried herbs in a warm oven with slices of good cheese on the side. Or roasted vegetables (again in the oven) in garlic and olive oil. Or heat a portion of the huge amounts of food I make every weekend. (These I've even done when I've had guests come over unexpectedly.)

When it's just me and I'm being very lazy, I can eat a whole bag of spinach with no dressing. Or throw all sorts of veggies, fruit, plain yogurt and protein powder in a blender and consume (it tastes godawful but is really filling.) Or on the opposite side of the health spectrum: a cheese omlette (I can do a nice fluffy one in 10 minutes or less).

If we're thinking more microwave-only foods:
Bacon in microwave, on buttered toast with lettuce, and tomatoes.
Instant mac but no cheese packet and real milk + cheese + tuna instead
Frozen cooked shrimp, butter and crushed garlic in the microwave until the shrimp is lightly fried. Toss over pasta.
Ramen (no sauce packet) drained + soy sauce, sesame seed oil and green onions and a little ginger in a big tupperware containter, shake and chill. Pair with cucumber slices.

I'm pretty fast in the kitchen and can have a pan of brownies or a fruit pie in the oven in about 10 minutes. After the rest of dinner is done and the dishes cleaned, the brownies/pie come out of oven for a great dessert. Or plain ice cream and pureed fresh blackberries.

Yeah. Better and faster than pizza.

C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:21 am 
Sounds good. I may try that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:06 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Macaroni and Cheese is surprisingly versitile. So far I've added the following to it
  • Hot Dogs
  • Canned Chili
  • Canned Tuna
  • Canned/grilled/roast/fried Chicken
  • Sausage
  • Broccoli & Cauliflower
  • Various combinations of the above (Chili/Hot dogs, and Chicken/Broccoli/Cauliflower both work really well.)

Really, you can add all kinds of meat and even some vegtables to it, it works well.

-K

Avatar by Steve Troop of Melonpool! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:29 pm 
Tabasco works with everything

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:06 pm 
K. Ivan Ruppert wrote:
Macaroni and Cheese is surprisingly versitile. So far I've added the following to it
  • Hot Dogs
  • Canned Chili
  • Canned Tuna
  • Canned/grilled/roast/fried Chicken
  • Sausage
  • Broccoli & Cauliflower
  • Various combinations of the above (Chili/Hot dogs, and Chicken/Broccoli/Cauliflower both work really well.)

Really, you can add all kinds of meat and even some vegtables to it, it works well.

-K

Sounds good, also sounds like a good, easy family meal that my kids would love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:48 pm 
Attilla wrote:

Yep. Tabasco with alfredo is one of my favourite sauces for pasta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:55 pm 
Attilla wrote:

Even ice cream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:32 pm 
Unless, of course, you dislike the taste of tabasco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:49 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

tabasco popcorn is really tasty.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:52 pm 
Animal wrote:
Attilla wrote:

Even ice cream.

I did that once as part of a dare. Not as bad as it sounds.