The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

How much water do you leave on your Ramen when you add the flavor packet?
All of it (soup) 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
A cup or more 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Half a cup 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
1/4 C or less 33%  33%  [ 6 ]
None, I drain them 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Other 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 18
 Post subject: Top Ramen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:14 pm 
Nightstar Graveyard Daemon

This is something I have found interesting. No two people seem to make Top Ramen the same way, and nobody seems to think there is more than one way to make it. How do you make your Ramen? This is just "straight ramen", nothing fancy like fried noodles or whatnot.

I boil the ramen, then dump the flavor packet into a dry bowl. I cook the ramen for 4.5 minutes, then pour about 2 Tbsp of water into the bowl. Whisk with a fork to make a strong sauce. Drain the noodles, then dump them into the bowl. Makes for dryish noodles with a strong, tangy sauce. Added advantage that stirring the noodles into the sauce, then lifting to hang cools the noodles very quickly and you can eat within a minute of cooking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:28 pm 
Official Village Idiot

I use a small pan, and only boil enough water to cover the noodles. I add the packet *first* - that way the salty goodness is cooked right into the noodles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:40 pm 
I never make Top Ramen. I'm all about the Maruchan, baby! (which I make according to the instructions on the package BTW)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:48 pm 
Other. I eat it straight, no water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:07 pm 
Energizer Bunny

I also use Maruchan, and I use slightly less water than it asks for. That way a whole packageful can fit in my soup bowls.

Vorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:32 pm 
I'm going to have to go with 'other':

I make mauchen (however it's spelled) either by micorwaving it with my soup-cup full of water (which is soupish) and the whole packet. or I fry it without water with egg and a bit more than half the packet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:16 am 

Ah, very good point, Gwalla. I refer to "3-minute noodles" as Top Ramen, even though I will not actually touch that brand. I liken this to how in some areas of the american South you can call any carbonated beverage a "Coke"--including Sprite and Pepsi. Mine is a Maruchan house, and don't be bringing that other crap in here.

Funny, I ate Beef Top Ramen exclusively as a child. A bowl of Ramen & a glass of milk passed for breakfast for several years in high school. Nowadays, I will only eat Maruchan, and then it has to be Pork or Oriental flavor. But to this day, I cannot eat Ramen without wanting to chase it down with a glass of milk. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:48 am 
I also use Maruchan, and I drain it, then add the flavor pack and however much water is needed to get the right consistency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:00 am 
I usually eat the noodles with hot broth (sometimes it burns my tongue). I mostly like beef and oriental flavors. I'm tired of chicken-flavored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:37 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

Lotsa water, long noodles, chopsticks. Yeah baby.

My favorite flavor so far is either sesame chicken or creamy chicken, although I've been known to throw sesame seeds and a dash of sesame oil in just about any flavor.

With creamy chicken, I usually go with about half the liquid as milk, makes it richer.

I've also been known to make miso ramen. Cook noodles in plain water or dashi, throw a blob of miso into a bowl, ladle out a few tablespoons of hot water, whisk with fork, add back to main batch, stir, serve. Nummy.

Don't even get me started on fancifying my ramen. I can get rather creative at times.

One of the simplest fancying I like is to toss in some wakame (seaweed) and a handful of crushed dried shiitake mushrooms. I always have this stuff on hand, btw. And the miso, and the dashi.

Anyway, this thread begs the second question... Long noodles or crushed noodles?

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:03 pm 
When I was a kid I ate almost exclusively Samyang ramen. Now I can't stand them. The only reference I've found to the name is a Korean ramen noodle brand. I'm not sure who made these, and I only ever saw them in Western family/associated foods stores.

I use a mix of Top ramen and Maruchan personally (whichever is on sale this week.) I've also tried the Campbells ramen (I don't think they make it anymore,) the Smack ramen, walmart GV ramen, and a wide assortment of more expensive ramens from the oriental food store. I probably cook them the least of anyone, I pull it out when it's still mostly recognizable as a ramen brick, right as the noodles start seperating. I actually drain them completely, and put the flavoring packet with 3-4 tablespoons of water in the bowl. The time this takes differs by brand of ramen. Maruchan seems to cook much faster, about a minute and a half, while top ramen is a little closer to 2 minutes.

I've moved away from top ramen now that they've cancelled the Sesame chicken flavor. :(

On a sidenote, shortly after they cancelled that I started keeping a bottle of sesame oil for my ramen noodles...

My old recipe when I was a teenager:

Crushed ramen. Take 1 bag of Samyang chicken or beef, stomp on it till you have little noodle fragments and put the fragments in a bowl. Smooth out/flatten top. Sprinkle flavoring packet on it, then fill with just enough water so that it's even with the top of the noodles. Microwave for 1-1.5 minutes. Makes it pretty heavily flavored, and most of the water boils off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:06 pm 

Ogredude wrote:
Anyway, this thread begs the second question... Long noodles or crushed noodles?

Other.

I take the package of Maruchan, unopened, and snap the noodlebrick in half. Then I open one end of the wrapper and take out the flavor packet. When the water is boiling, I pour the whole mess into the pot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:07 pm 
Long noodles is the only way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:09 pm 

Samalander wrote:
I fry it without water with egg and a bit more than half the packet.

Clarification request: you fry the dry noodles, or cook & drain completely before frying?

If you fry them dry, please post a recipe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:26 pm 
Chalain wrote:
Clarification request: you fry the dry noodles, or cook & drain completely before frying?

If you fry them dry, please post a recipe!

Naw, cook and drain them completely. although there is a very good salad I wish I had the recepie for that uses uncooked crushed ramen and italian dressing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:57 pm 
Another poll question on Ramen:

Do you rinse your cooked noodles?

Personally, I do, it gets rid of all the wax and allows the flavors to come through. (it's amazing how cloudy the water is after heating up the noodles)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:40 pm 
I lived in Hawaii so it's Saimin, but it's really the same thing. You can get it at McDonalds over there. And it doesn't matter which brand, I will eat any and all be it in a packet, cup, or bowl (technicly, saimin noodles have egg while ramen noodles do not, but I don't think anyone cares). The best ones are the asian ones with lots of sesame oil and spices. (just go to your local asian grocery store and buy one of every brand that they carry).

I always use the full amount of water, add the flavor packets, oil, garnish whatever before boiling, and I always try to garnish.

Just like when making cocktails, always garnish! Put in bits of shrimp, char siu, lettuce or cabbage, fish cake, carrots, Spam, whatever. In a pinch I have used beef jerky (let it soak for a couple of minutes or add it before you boil).

"Broke da mout"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:22 pm 
Extra large coffee cup, about 2/3rd full of water. Nuke it till it's good and hot. Add the flavor packet and then the noodles. Stir until the noodles are soft.

Chicken flavor only because I'm boring, Maruchan only because that's what the Dollar General down the street carries.

If I'm feeling less boring I add some cooked chicken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:41 am 
I keep all the water in when I have them but I also add a lot of frozen peas to cool it off and put in some extra flavor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:03 pm 
Sometimes I eat it dry
Sometimes I make my own stock
Sometimes I use theirs
Sometimes I roast it a bit over a flame (so I get that yaki taste) then use my own stock (bonito and seaweed flavor)