The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:12 pm 
Mr Gently wrote:
BTW, I regret to report that the new Ben & Jerry "Carb Kharma" ice cream is disgusting. My attitude towards ice cream is just like beer - I don't have it that often, but when I do, I want the good stuff, dammit!

Ugh. Even if the whole "low-carb diet" thing wasn't a total con, the idea of "healthy ice cream" is retarded. You don't eat ice crem because you want to lose weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:12 pm 
Ice cream isn't good unless there is real cream in it. I also think that some of those artifical substutes are worse for you than the real thing in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:08 am 
MRs_Keradon: that would be transfats a.k.a. margarine a.k.a. partially hydrogenated <soybean/corn/etc.> oil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:49 pm 
gwalla wrote:
Ugh. Even if the whole "low-carb diet" thing wasn't a total con, the idea of "healthy ice cream" is retarded. You don't eat ice crem because you want to lose weight.

I agree 100% with that! I just thought I'd mention that they are teh crap in case someone was considering trying them.

I've tried low-carb (I mean super-low-carb diets like Atkins, where your carb intake is 100g/day or less) dieting and and not gotten any special results. In the long run, most people I know who've tried them give up on them. I'd like to think I've learned a bit about this: I've lost 65 pounds in the last three years and am still gradually losing weight (and eat pretty much whatever I want on weekends without any rebound, so I haven't screwed up my metabolism), and that's just from reducing overall calorie intake and exercising. Atkins-type diets do work for a while, but most of what I've read suggests that that comes from just counting calories than anything special about ultra-low-carb eating.

There's something to be said for reducing carbs somewhat - considering human diet on an evolutionary scale, there's a strong argument for reducing refined carbs and (especially) sugar, and you can eat a little more (emphasis on "a little"!) on a higher-protein/somewhat-lower-carb diet because your body has to use more calories to extract energy from high-protein food. A ultra-high carb/high-sugar diet can also make your body more prone to store fat - thank you, insulin. I've gotten my best results from a diet that's about 40-45% carb/40-45% protein/10-20% fat. To put that in perspective, if I remember right, the USDA's "Food Pyramid" calls for something like 60-70% carbs.

As long as you eat a generally healthy diet, and balance calorie intake to use, there's no bloody reason why you shouldn't enjoy good ice cream and other "bad" foods in moderation (or occasionally, even not in moderation! :P )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:19 pm 
Well, the food pyramid said how many servings of different food groups you should eat. Later they produced what percentages of your daily calories should come from each source, i think it was like 50% carbs (primarily starches) 30% protein and 20% fat (with only 30% of the fat being saturated fat)