The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ice Cream
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:07 am 
Because there are just so many possibilities. Anything to do with frozen confections goes here.

To start things off, favorite flavor? My all time favorite is mint with cookie dough, fudge, and peanut butter cups. The only place I can get it around where I live is Cold Stone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:00 pm 
There's a flavor I haven't had in forever, but I remember shivering (and not from cold) when I first had it.

"Goo-Goo Cluster".

For right now, since I'm in Maine, it's all about the Ben & Jerrys ice cream. :wink: We get it cheap, here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:14 pm 
Ben & Jerry's all the way. There's a Cold Stone store in town here, and I haven't been that impressed. If I want plain ol' ice cream instead of the high-grade stuff, I'll just go with Dreyer's.

There's also a place downtown that used to be called Mondo Gelato (that didn't last long, it's something else now but I can't remember the new name). Great stuff, but pricey. I especially like their madeira raisin and tortufo (chocolate hazelnut) flavors. And in the fall they have a pumpkin gelato that is absolutely the best ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:30 pm 
Cookies N' Cream.

I'm not picky. I'll take the store brand stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:42 pm 
Nightstar Graveyard Daemon

If I'm eating something with my ice cream, it's gotta be Breyers all natural Vanilla with Real Vanilla Bean Specks. If it's straight ice cream, I'll take Breyers Chocolate.

A recent happy discovery for me has been the Breyers "Carb Smart" line... comes in Vanilla, Strawberry and Chocolate flavors. All three are wonderful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:27 pm 
Rakka wrote:
There's a flavor I haven't had in forever, but I remember shivering (and not from cold) when I first had it.

"Goo-Goo Cluster".

For right now, since I'm in Maine, it's all about the Ben & Jerrys ice cream. :wink: We get it cheap, here.

My mom actually went to college in Vermont when the first Ben & Jerry's opened, run by Ben and Jerry. They would let some of them go around back and clean the bowls they used to make it (aka eat the left-overs).

She says they were pretty cool guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:45 pm 
Swensen's Sticky Chewy Chocolate, Haagen-Dazs Belgian Chocolate, Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie.

Rocky Road is so good that whatever brand has a rocky road flavour it's bound to be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:40 pm 
I still miss Ben & Jerry's Wavy Gravy flavor. That stuff was awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:47 pm 
My ice cream favorites: Mint chocolate chip, mocha almond fudge, most types of ice creams with candy in them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:01 pm 
Black walnut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:37 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

hrmmm...

There's one flavor called "Death By Chocolate"...

I love an Arctic Circle dipper cone...

Original Fudgesicles... Schwan's Fudge Bars...

Too much to choose from, can't say a favorite.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:12 am 
Energizer Bunny

Cherry Garcia.

Vorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:15 am 
We actually used to have an ice cream making machine. I don't remember what happened to it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:21 am 
DarthBaboon wrote:
We actually used to have an ice cream making machine. I don't remember what happened to it...

Sold it or something. We never used it anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:20 am 
Vorn the Unspeakable wrote:
Cherry Garcia.

Vorn

In my house, Cherry Garcia is the new vanilla. If somebody goes out to buy a pint of ice cream, and they don't have anything specific in mind, Cherry Garcia is the default flavor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:20 am 
There is no vanilla but vanilla bean.

Post subject: Mmmmm
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:25 pm 
Any forum that talks about ice cream is good with me XDD

Mmm Ben and Jerrys, I wish it wasn't $5 for a tiny container here >/ *complains* It's SOOOO good. ...I also like mint chocolate chip, and strawberry so long as it's made with read strawberries, really, I can't go wrong with any ice cream! Has anyone tried Dulce de leche ice cream? ...mmm....

....OH I HAD AN ICECREAM MAKER ONCE and I made cookies and cream icecream! ...where do those things go =/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:29 pm 
DarkBaboon,
thanks for the link to the food trough, I never would have come here otherwise and seen this thread on ice cream.

favorite brand: Blue Bell
favorite flavors:
lemon tart
peppermint
cookies and cream
chocolate chip cookie dough
mint chocolate chip

but none of them compare to my grandma's homemade vanilla ice cream. (I have had the priveledge of having it only 2 times in my life so far)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:46 pm 
No problem.

Those are all good flavors. Because I am a citrus fanatic, I would love to try that lemon tart flavor. Mmm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:53 pm 
DarthBaboon wrote:
No problem.

Those are all good flavors. Because I am a citrus fanatic, I would love to try that lemon tart flavor. Mmm...

It is extremely good, but it cannot be mixed with any other flavors. (no scoop of lemon tart in the same bowl as a scoop of anything else, otherwise you get a less than good flavor mix)

It is also the only lemon flavored thing that tastes better than eating a lemon like an orange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:56 pm 
For mixing flavors: mint chocolate chip and cookie dough. So good.

Also, vanilla bean is the ultimate versatile ice cream. When in doubt about what flavor to use to serve with pie, cake, or by itself, use vanilla bean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:58 pm 
DarthBaboon wrote:
For mixing flavors: mint chocolate chip and cookie dough. So good.

Also, vanilla bean is the ultimate versatile ice cream. When in doubt about what flavor to use to serve with pie, cake, or by itself, use vanilla bean.

I agree whole heartedly, and 2nd to that for serving with other stuff is country vanilla, then regular vanilla ice cream, then french vanilla.
vanilla seems to go with everything well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:00 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:01 am 
DarthBaboon wrote:

all vanillas are just over processed versions of vanilla bean, since it all comes from vanilla bean anyway. (overprocessed is bad)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:17 am 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

Sakai style raw trout. mmmm.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:38 pm 
Nightstar Graveyard Daemon

I can't believe I forgot about this one:

Go get a six pack of those powdered sugar covered, raspberry-filled donuts. Drop one in a bowl, and put a big scoop of vanilla on top of it. It's just like cake and ice cream, only with raspberry filling and you don't have to wait for somebody's birthday first.

Note: I detest raspberry flavor anything, except this dish. That's how good it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:25 pm 
Death by Chocolate Ice Cream made with oreos, hershey's syrup, some other form of chocolate, and liquid nitrogen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:25 pm 
kreely wrote:
Death by Chocolate Ice Cream made with oreos, hershey's syrup, some other form of chocolate, and liquid nitrogen.

I know the perfect starting flavor to work with. It's call Triple Chocolate, chocolate ice cream with chunks of brownie and fudge mixed in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:55 am 
Ogredude wrote:
Sakai style raw trout. mmmm.

...?

Trout ice cream? Ewww!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:46 am 
Trout ice cream? ICK! You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding.

Favourite ice cream flavour of all time was Ben and Jerry's "Dastardly Mash" - chocolate ice cream, chocolate chunks, nuts, and raisins! God, that was good stuff...

BTW, I regret to report that the new Ben & Jerry "Carb Kharma" ice cream is disgusting. My attitude towards ice cream is just like beer - I don't have it that often, but when I do, I want the good stuff, dammit!