The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Food of the Week: Pizza
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:14 pm 
Hello everyone! Ready for some lively discussion? Ok, here we go.

This is a new forum feature I plan to update at least once a week discussing the obsession we have with certain foods. Hopefully you will enjoy it.

On to the main event. This weeks food is...

Pizza!

You may notice that the image I have chosen is of a rather odd pizza. Your eyes do not deceive you, that is broccoli and asparagus on the pie. This is not even the weirdest of them. Pizza is a changing art form, a new specification of food with as much variation as chicken. Any topping you can dream of, someone has put it on a pizza and liked it. How did a food of such humble beginnings come to be the huge, international industry defining product it is today?

The pizza is a very old dish, although the current form is quite new. There have been records of pizza-like dishes being eaten as far back as the 6th century, BC (in Greece, no less). This dish would not look like your modern day pizza though. It was simply flat bread, cheese, and sometimes dates and honey. Though a completely different dish, the evolution had to start somewhere.

Pizza took its first big step toward Papa John's with the importation of tomatoes from the New world in 1522. The tomato was at first thought to be poisonous, but it has edged its way quite firmly into Italian cooking (just about every dish uses them). It was the poor people of Naples who started using tomatoes on pizza. This innovation landed Naples on the map as the Pizza capital of the world. Neapolitan pizzaioles have served for royalty, most notably Queen Margherita di Savoia, who the "Pizza Margherita" is named after.

Pizza took its first big step into America in 1905 with Gennaro Lombardi's Pizzeria in New York, New York. From here, pizza began its American evolution. Chicago-style deep-dish pizza was created in 1943 by Ike Sewell in his bar and grill called Pizzeria Uno. This style of pizza is still uniquely associated with Chicago, although you can find the poor brother of it at your neighborhood Pizza Hut.

The pizza industry exploded in the 1950's. Famous Italians such as Frank Sinatra, Joe DiMaggio, and Jerry Colonna help spike the public's interest in this obscure dish. It was even incorporated into a song by Dean Martin. Pizza Chains, such as Dominos and Pizza Hut began to appear. Frozen Pizza became America’s number one frozen food, and Pizza started appearing in movies as the hip thing to eat.

Pizza is now a global sensation. I should not even need to point out the... interesting Japanese creations, but I will for the uninitiated. The broccoli asparagus pizza above could be considered normal next to some of these monstrosities. I mean, look at this:

That is a pizza with squid ink sauce. This stuff stains your mouth black. Whoever created this deserves a medal or something for being so freaking crazy.

But I digress. The point is the popularity of pizza is spreading. Ask and elementary school student what their favorite food is, and you are likely going to hear them shout out with glee "Pizza!" Pizza requires only the effort it takes to pick up the phone and dial a number. Pizza is good both hot and cold, perfect for leftovers. Pizza can easily serve more than one person and it is hard to find someone who refuses to eat plain cheese. You can put different toppings on different parts of the pizza; pizza is easy to eat on the run. Pizza is the perfect college food. Pizza is easy, affordable, and just tastes good.

Just thank God you don’t live in Japan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:58 pm 
i just had a Barbecue Chicken & Bacon pizza from Papa John's over the weekend... strange, but damn good :D

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:41 pm 
DarthBaboon wrote:
Any topping you can dream of, someone has put it on a pizza and liked it.

Chocolate? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:48 pm 
It's not like squid ink sauce is a particularly odd item (it's used in a lot of Italian and Spanish dishes), but putting it on pizza is kind of different.

What I don't get are those Japanese pizzas with mayonnaise or marmalade (or both). That's just funky. Hawaiian pizza is actually pretty tasty though, and it sounds weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:51 pm 
gwalla wrote:
It's not like squid ink sauce is a particularly odd item (it's used in a lot of Italian and Spanish dishes), but putting it on pizza is kind of different.

What I don't get are those Japanese pizzas with mayonnaise or marmalade (or both). That's just funky. Hawaiian pizza is actually pretty tasty though, and it sounds weird.

It doesn't sound weird... pineapple belongs on pizza! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:55 pm 
gwalla wrote:

I assume it's just me, but I'd love pizza with mayo on it. It seems right somehow. :?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:56 pm 
gyoza wrote:
DarthBaboon wrote:
Any topping you can dream of, someone has put it on a pizza and liked it.

Chocolate? :D

https://store.chocolate-pizza.com/osb2/ ... Category=1

I've also seen regular pizza with chocolate sauce and pepperoni pizza with chocolate chips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:08 am 
I just had homemade pizza for dinner that my dad cooked a few hours ago. It has a thick crust and pizza sauce made out of spaghetti sauce that my family used two nights ago.

BTW, the chocolate pizza looks weird yet tasty but more expensive in size than an average pizza.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:34 pm 
gyoza wrote:
gwalla wrote:

I assume it's just me, but I'd love pizza with mayo on it. It seems right somehow. :?

There is nothing right about mayo. On anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:51 pm 
SirGecko wrote:
gyoza wrote:
gwalla wrote:

On the contrary. There is everything right about mayo. On everything. However, I now lead a mayo free existance after my mayo addiction led me to consume 1/2 pound to a pound of macaroni salad every day for three months straight. My cholesterol levels were in sorry shape before I kicked the habit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:28 pm 
Yeh. I know most people like mayo, but I don't. I'm just weird like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:30 pm 
SirGecko wrote:
Yeh. I know most people like mayo, but I don't. I'm just weird like that.

I don't like mayonnaise either but mayo on pizza is very strange. Whoops, pizza time! I got to eat!

Last edited by Nick101 on Wed May 12, 2004 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:53 pm 
I hate mayo. HATE it. It's absolutely disgusting. My opinion of it's been made worse by certain incidences, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:55 am 
SirGecko wrote:
gyoza wrote:
gwalla wrote:

It's pretty much required for tuna salad. Other than that, yeah, it's pretty pointless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:12 am 
Okay, let's cut the mayo and get back to the pizzas.

I usually have pizza for dinner every Friday night from various sites; lately, it has been mainly Pizza Company. Most recently, I tried Domino's. They tasted good, but it is quite expensive. Straw Hat is good as well. Papa Murphy's is cheap, but it's take and bake and doesn't taste as good as Pizza Company's pizza. I used to have Klondike Pizza four years ago and I was hooked on roadkill pizza (I forgot what was in it because my memory's quite fuzzy). But the best pizza was from Giavanni's. I used to have it every week or two, but it was expensive and I haven’t had it since.

I used to have frozen pizza every Friday a couple years back from Celeste, Red Baron, Freschetta, DiGiorno's, and almost every other brand but I always ended up peeling near-burnt cheese that my dad added to the frozen pizzas.

Recently I ate pizza at the hospital cafeteria; the four-cheese pizza looked the best because I was practically drooling looking at the ricotta cheese mixed in other cheeses. It tastes okay and sure beats peeling added cheese from a frozen pizza.

As for toppings, I always prefer pepperoni, sometimes extra cheese, and sometimes with sausage as extra toppings. I don't like many other toppings.

Last edited by Nick101 on Fri May 14, 2004 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:35 pm 
Domino's is plastic pizza. Round Table is somewhat closer to being edible, but not much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 5:43 pm 
Energizer Bunny

Best pizza place I know of in CT is definitely the Recovery Room, on Ocean St. in New London. It's right by the hospital, which is where it gets its name. It's New Haven (as in New Haven, CT) style, and it's DANG YUMMY.

Vorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:14 pm 
Finals are this week, so hopefully I will write up the new food of the week on Friday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:47 pm 
Round pizza is an American invention. In Italy, pizzas are usually rectangular because that's what shape ovens are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:59 pm 
Best pizza I ever had was in a little Italian restaurant just south of Stuttgart, Germany. It was awesome. I've pined for it ever since.

It was square, in fact. I couldn't identify the toppings, but little pepperonis and some kind of sausage were among them. Not that much cheese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:04 pm 
I've had minimalist pizzas. Just tomato and cheese, maybe some herbs. I know a lady who makes them with potato and pumpkin too. Your Pizza Supreme with everything is American too. Mostly in Italy people who make their own go for simple ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:09 pm 
GrassyNoel wrote:
I've had minimalist pizzas. Just tomato and cheese, maybe some herbs. I know a lady who makes them with potato and pumpkin too. Your Pizza Supreme with everything is American too. Mostly in Italy people who make their own go for simple ones.

Yeah, I'm sure that's true, but the Pizza Hut Meat Lover's is still awesome. It's a real, Man-Show-style, artery-plugging, testosterone-inducing feast. Just thinking of one makes me break into primal grunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:18 pm 
Ahh, fave pizza would have to be Fruit Pizza. Sugar cookie crust, cream cheese and powdered sugar sauce, a variety of fruit for toppings, smothered in Pineapple or strawberry gelatin/preserves to keep the fruit from spoiling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:13 pm 
DarthBaboon wrote:
It doesn't sound weird... pineapple belongs on pizza! :P

Hell, yes! My friends and I had one of those "each of us choose one ingredient" nights, and came up with the perfect pizza: pineapple, linguica, Canadian bacon, and extra cheese.

(In case you're not familiar with it, linguica is a spicy Portugese sausage. Hard to find in some areas - I had meat department managers thinking I was making it up when I'd ask for it in Florida.)

BTW, believe it or not, I have trouble finding pizza I like here in New York City. I know NYC has this reputation as the home of good pizza, but most of it is mediocre at best - almost all pizza here has good crust, but the sauce tends to be very bland (the entire concept of "onion" or "garlic" eludes them) and I find plain cheese pizza boring. I do admit to taking some perverse satisfaction in ordering a "pizza", not a "pie" and then explaining to them that once you leave the Northeast, a "pie" is something you have for dessert and has fruit in it. Yes, I have moments when I get in touch with my inner jerk. :lol:

My favourite pizza place? Popolo's Pizza, in Fresno, CA. And I had a filet mignon appetizer pizza a couple of weeks ago that was fantastic! If you're ever in Red Bank, NJ, go to Ashes (it's a cigar bar/restaurant) and try it. Good stuff. (Also a pretty well stocked humidor, with very reasonable prices for a cigar bar.)

Favourite frozen pizza is California Pizza Kitchen's BBQ Chicken or Thai. Not as good as fresh pizza, of course, but not bad at all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:08 am 
That pizza sounds great!

By the way, the best place to get pizza in the New York/New Jersey area is... my uncle's house. His homemade pizza is the best I have ever had.