The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:26 pm 
According to New Scientist, a new variety of Coffea arabica has been found that is naturally uncaffeinated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:12 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

That would be nice.

Here's the way it works. Why decaf tastes raunchy.

Decaffienation involves removal of the caffiene by use of solvents (even though the Swiss method uses water as its solvent), and this removes essential flavor compounds from the bean at the same time.

To compensate for this, and make decaf taste like regular, you have to use premium, top of the line beans. But that'd make it way more expensive.

And then there's all the industrial equipment involved. That stuff ain't cheap. So that adds to the price of decaf.

So, to get decaf down to the price of regular, to offset the cost of the equipment and employees needed to run the industrial procedure, you have to use low quality beans.

But then your coffee tastes like ass, and even the most nondiscriminating coffee gourmand will be able to tell you that.

So you sneak a small portion of premium top of the line beans back into the mix, to offset the nastiness of the cheap beans. And then you find that you're able to charge about the same price for decaf as you do for regular.

And it doesn't taste like ass. It still tastes nasty, but not nasty enough for your typical coffee gourmand to be able to tell. Only us true gourmets can tell. (I can, can you?)

So. If this naturally caffiene-free arabica tastes good, that's a very good thing in the world of coffee. And who knows, maybe we can put the decaf gene into other types of coffee, like kona and sumatran and others... I just hope the decaf gene is a RECESSIVE. In fact I wouldn't mind if it was a DOUBLE RECESSIVE. That'd mean that you'd have to SPECIFICALLY BREED the plants to be decaf. That'd mean that all the new plants in the world would be fully caffienated. And caffiene is nice.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:57 pm 
(Coffee - caffeine) + taste = Coffee - caffeine

And another absolute statement for you...

Coffee - taste > (Coffee - caffeine) Columbian

'nuff said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:23 am 
Ogredude wrote:
So. If this naturally caffiene-free arabica tastes good, that's a very good thing in the world of coffee. And who knows, maybe we can put the decaf gene into other types of coffee, like kona and sumatran and others... I just hope the decaf gene is a RECESSIVE. In fact I wouldn't mind if it was a DOUBLE RECESSIVE. That'd mean that you'd have to SPECIFICALLY BREED the plants to be decaf. That'd mean that all the new plants in the world would be fully caffienated. And caffiene is nice.

I would expect it to be recessive, but not double recessive. It's probably a defective gene for an enzyme involved in producing caffeine. If the plant has a non-defective gene for that enzyme, it will have the enzyme and be caffeinated, but if it doesn't have any non-defective copies of the gene, it won't have caffeine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:08 am 
I wonder though, if the Caffeine itself is a part of the flavor one expects from Coffee. It's a stimulant after all, so it makes nerve cells happy. I wonder if it affects tastebuds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:42 pm 
Madcat wrote:
I wonder though, if the Caffeine itself is a part of the flavor one expects from Coffee. It's a stimulant after all, so it makes nerve cells happy. I wonder if it affects tastebuds.

I've heard that at least one soda manufacturer claims that they add caffine for flavor.

It shouldn't be too hard to test using soda.