The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mexican food recipes?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:54 pm 
Today at work one of my colleagues mentioned that he'd like some tacos, so I remembered eating something like that back in '97 when I was in the USA, and I might have liked it. Now I got the idea to see if it can be made with stuff available here in Croatia. So, can anyone give me some recipes or links for some tacos, burritos or whatever those things are called?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:16 pm 
I dunno, can you get tortillas in Croatia?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:22 pm 
I dunno if they can be bought, but my aunt and cousin have made a Mexican-themed wagon for last year's carneval, and I found a few recipes on how to make tortillas for them. I forgot where I found those, so I'm kinda stuck. I did some googling, but results are inconclusive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:30 pm 
I think what you want is "Mexican Family Favorites Cook Book" by Maria Teresa Bermudez . It has recipes for everything even the tortillas. Very yummy cookbook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:39 am 
Finnaly, a subject perfectly suited for me!

As you may or may not know, I live in New Mexico. We have New Mexican style mexican food here, which is like Mexican food but better. Biggest thing you have to have making mexican food is chile. Chances are you are gonna be hard pressed to find some fresh roasted green chiles over there, but try. Red chile powder don't count.

I will tell you a really easy recipe for fajitas I can think of of the top of my head. You don't even necesarily need green chile for this one, although it would never hurt. Basic things you need:

Ground beef if on a budget, steak sirlon if you want to make it good
Green Peper
Onion

You take all those and toss them in a frying pan (meat first of course). Do not ever drain it, let the veggies soak up the juice. You can add any type of seasoning or other ingrediants you want depending what you are in the mood for. Then you just take tortillas, cheese, and your tasty skillet and roll everything up and eat.

I don't have a recipe on my, but sopapillas are excelent. Gotta get some of those. Fry Bread works too. Serve them both with honey. Also gotta make Pasole, it is a traditional new years meal, but it is great any time of year.

I will see what else I can dig up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:28 pm 
Thanks!
I don't think I've ever seen anything other than powdered chili, but we do have some kind of hot peppers that might substitute.
I won't make it totally mexican-style, my mediterranean palate is used to the soft taste of fish, pasta and pizza Margherita, so a full dose of chili would likely fry my tongue :)
But my dad likes spicy (I guess it's because he's got no sense of taste anymore, according to his cooking ;) ), so I might be able to persuade him to do it.

I seem to recall that the item I ate back in '97 was a bean burrito, and not all that spicy...