The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:53 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Well, what can I say. My taste in music is eclectic and horrifying. You know how a lot of folks say, "I like everything but ---- ", be it rap, metal, whatever. Well I tend to go for stuff that's in the "but..." category. I guarantee you that no matter how extreme or eclectic your taste in music is, something in my collection will make you look at me like an alien and go, "What the *fsck* is wrong with you, dude?"

I'll start with metal. Nothing dilletantish! No hair bands, grunge, or nu metal. I cut my teeth on the Big Four (Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer) and just got more brutal from there. Lots of late nineties thrash such as Testament, Exodus, Paradox, Vio-lence, Nuclear Assault, Atrophy, Flotsam & Jetsam, Detent and Fear Of God (feat. the late Dawn Crosby), dead horse, Dark Angel (Gene Hoglan is God!), Death Angel, etc.

Of course let's not forget the mighty Motorhead!

Early death metal such as Death, Entombed (who have sort of reinvented themselves as a garage/punk/Motorhead type band), Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Deicide (their first album, before Glen Benton became such an asshole) and Bolt-Thrower.

I like some more modern death metal, especially the Gothenberg scene. Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquility, At The Gates, In Flames, Hypocrisy, Amon Amarth (from Stockholm) just to name a few.

Not much for the Norwegian black metal but a couple of bands, namely Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth really stand out in my opinion.

I also really dig any project with Devin Townsend, but especially Strapping Young Lad because Gene Hoglan is their drummer and as I mentioned before, he is godlike.

There's a little punk in my collection. Misfits, Gwar, Ramones, some DRI, some early NYC hardcore such as The Beastie Boys (before they went hip hop) and Bad Brains. I once saw UK Subs and that was a fine show.

I absolutely love The Gathering. I'd marry Anneke Von Giersbergen (except for the fact that she's already married and has a kid). I'd say they started out as kind of death metal but really have evolved into a class by themselves. Very trippy and ethereal stuff.

I'm into some trip-hop such as Portishead, Moorcheeba, Massive Attack, Sneaker Pimps (even if they are a little commercial), and Tricky. I had the privelage of seeing Portished when they toured for their self-titled second album.

I absolutely love Dead Can Dance and have just about everything they ever put out. I got to see them as well before they broke up. I understand they are getting back together and I am stoked.

I'm into some old school hip-hop such as LL Cool J, Run DMC, Biz Markie, Rodney O and Joe Coolie, DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince (I remember him as an up and coming rapper before anybody ever heard of a guy named Will Smith).

The stuff that really causes people to go WTF is probably the Screw. I'm into local H-town screw in a big way and actually have an original DJ Screw tape somewhere in the pile of crap under my bed. Swisha House, Mike Jones (who?), To Down, Paul Wall, Boss Hog Outlawz, Magno, 281 Boyz. It's enough to completelly blow your perception of me.

Last but not least has to be Tori Amos. She's really in a class by herself and it probably doesn't hurt that I want to jump her and sire her next child.

This was me BTW. What is this guest business? Mods, can this be fixed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:36 pm 
Dude, I know almost no bands outside the big names, but I've heard of at least half of those you list.

You're sooo mainstream. ;p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:29 pm 
Placebo, Marilyn Manson, The Used, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Oasis, The Killers, Metallica, Stratovarius, Do As Infinity, See-Saw, Queens of the Stone Age, Sonata Arctica, HIM...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:10 am 
Opera is first and foremost, tending to listen to intently, I don't drive
at the same time. I would rather not kill anyone. It's Mozart for
beauty and intelligence, Italian opera for heavy romance.

When driving nothing but Classic Rock will do. Good vocals.

Recently started appreciating some Jazz. Favorite .
'Adventures in Blues', Stan Kenton Orchestra.

The scores from The James Bond movies are particular favorites.
John Williams, Michel LeGrand, Alex North, Lalo Schifrin... .

I think I like music, ya' think?