The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So, what's your poison?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:41 pm 
Because no music forum should be without a "favorite music" topic.
So, what kind of music do you listen to? Favorite bands?

I listen mostly to rock and various mutations thereof, but I also like blues, some soul, ambiental, and of course the classics.
My favorite bands/artists include, but are not limited to: Queen, Europe, Iron Maiden, Bon Jovi, Joe Satriani, Bruce Springsteen, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Jean Michel Jarre, Djordje Balasevic, Daleka Obala, Sajeta, Parni Valjak, Bajaga... (the last few are Croatian and ex-Yugoslav)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:47 pm 
Pink Floyd, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, Elton John.

Mostly Pink Floyd, though. <i>The Wall</i> is the bestest album ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:36 pm 
Satriani!!!

I've seen him live a few times. He always rocks my socks.

Other than Satch, I listen to a whole lot of stuff: Magma (where my avatar comes from BTW), King Crimson, Del the Funkee Homosapien, Il Berlione, Gorillaz...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:05 am 
Energizer Bunny

Gomez.

Vorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:02 am 
Official Village Idiot

I don't know if I can really classify my favorite music - some of it is easy to catagorize but eclectic, and some can't really be pigeonholed. I do have a propensity toward stuff from the "oldies/classic rock" era ('50s-'80s), especially country rock from the '70s. Old country and classical are always welcome as well.

Favorite artists:
Jim Croce (at #1, he's the only one on my list who gets a rank), the Eagles (both collectively and as solo artists), Paul Simon (with or without Art Garfunkel), the Beatles (see the Eagles), Warren Zevon, Joe Walsh (who was technically an Eagle but rocks hard enough to warrant his own mention), Creedence Clearwater Revival, Badly Drawn Boy, Blues Traveler, Bach, Carole King, the Doobie Brothers, Tenacious D (say what you like, but Kyle Gass is a phenominal guitarist), John Denver, Hank Williams, Jimmie Rogers, Glenn Miller, Eddie Rosner, the Beach Boys, Barenaked Ladies, Squirrel Nut Zippers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:24 am 
I like all kinds of genres (mainly rock types) from classical rock to hard rock to heavy metal. I also like punk rock and sometimes hardcore and death metal. British rock sounds good and also some new wave, indie, garage and noise rock.

Favorite bands and artists? I have a ton of them. So many influenced me, past and present. I must be one of the cool "kids" who enjoy that stuff. 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:58 pm 
I like Rock. Especially classic rock (50's-80's). There are a few more recent bands that I llike (I've been into Nickleback a lot recently), but most of the stuff out there today really can't be counted as rock, more like pop or rap (though for some reason, I like a few of Eminem's songs. Has anybody here heard My Band with D12? It's hilarious!).

One form of rock I can't stand, though, is what I like to call "Screamers." That's where lead singer is screaming incomprehensibly into the microphone. That ain't music, that's noise.

I must admit though, that even though I profess not to like pop music, that only counts towards American Pop. For some oddball reason, I'm really into Jpop and Jrock (Japanese music). I guess it started when I started downloading the opening and closing songs to my favourite anime, but I eventually got stuff from those groups that wasn't on an anime. Even though I don't know what any of the words mean, on some of the songs I can sing along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:18 pm 
Classic Rock. Like most of the other people here.

The Eagles are good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:04 pm 
:popcorn:

I'll probably be classified as a geek for saying this but I'm an instrumental freak. When most people hear 'classical' they either think of cheesy aristocratic music like Mozart (18th century) or avant garde modern music that makes no sense at all (20th century onward). What surprisingly few people know is that in between the two (roughly 19th century) is 100 years of some of the most frickin' awesome music ever written. Brahms, Dvorak, Sibelius, go look 'em up. :wink:

I'm a sucker for film music too. Anything by John Williams is good to me (though for some reason Indiana Jones grates on my nerves). On that branch, video game music is real similar to film music, though slightly more animated. My personal favourites are Masahiko Yoshimura (Shining Force), Motoi Sakuraba (Tales of Phantasia) and Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger).

Whenever I try writing music it inevitably sounds like a combination of the above genres cause they're pretty much all I listen to. One of my theory teachers remarked that my music sounds like what Brahms would have written if he worked for SquareSoft.

Oh yeah. I've recently taken a liking to anime themes, or just J-pop tunes in general. The chirpier the better. Sometimes annoyingly so, but eh, can't take myself seriously all the time. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:51 pm 
gyoza wrote:
I'll probably be classified as a geek for saying this but I'm an instrumental freak. When most people hear 'classical' they either think of cheesy aristocratic music like Mozart (18th century) or avant garde modern music that makes no sense at all (20th century onward). What surprisingly few people know is that in between the two (roughly 19th century) is 100 years of some of the most frickin' awesome music ever written. Brahms, Dvorak, Sibelius, go look 'em up. :wink:

Actually, I think that most people's idea of "classical" owes more to the Romantic period anyway: Beethoven, Brahms, Liszt, etc.

20th century "classical" is unfairly maligned. Stravinsky and Bartok r0x0r my b0x0rz. Even the widely despised serialist movement produced some great music, and not just "great in theory": check out Berg and Dallapiccola.

Quote:
I'm a sucker for film music too. Anything by John Williams is good to me (though for some reason Indiana Jones grates on my nerves).

No doubt Williams has done some very recognizable work (Jaws, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, etc.), but I'm not that fond of him. He has a habit of ripping off Romantic composers and relying heavily on trumpet fanfares to create drama. Danny Elfman, while not as technically adept as Williams, and despite a bad habit of rehashing the same sort of thing over and over, nonetheless has a very idiosyncratic quoality that I like.

Quote:
Whenever I try writing music it inevitably sounds like a combination of the above genres cause they're pretty much all I listen to. One of my theory teachers remarked that my music sounds like what Brahms would have written if he worked for SquareSoft.

Hee hee!

BTW, are you familiar with KAH on the Keenspot boards, and his "Souvenirs d'Avalon" suite for Avalon? He's a Romantic/gamemusic fan like yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:31 am 
gwalla wrote:
Actually, I think that most people's idea of "classical" owes more to the Romantic period anyway: Beethoven, Brahms, Liszt, etc.

20th century "classical" is unfairly maligned. Stravinsky and Bartok r0x0r my b0x0rz. Even the widely despised serialist movement produced some great music, and not just "great in theory": check out Berg and Dallapiccola.

About most people's idea of 'classical', I guess it could go both ways. Most people I know think of Eine Kleine or Pachelbel Canon or something when the word 'classical' is mentioned. Stravinsky/Bartok/Berg (and Shostakovich, another favorite of mine) wrote lots of cool stuff, but the majority of composers used serialism and atonality to hide the fact that they had no idea what the schtoink they were writing. :mad:

gwalla wrote:
No doubt Williams has done some very recognizable work (Jaws, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, etc.), but I'm not that fond of him. He has a habit of ripping off Romantic composers and relying heavily on trumpet fanfares to create drama. Danny Elfman, while not as technically adept as Williams, and despite a bad habit of rehashing the same sort of thing over and over, nonetheless has a very idiosyncratic quoality that I like.

How'd I forget to mention Elfman? He did a tremendous job on Nightmare Before Christmas. Those little kid voices going 'LALALALALALA' stayed in my head for weeks.

gwalla wrote:
BTW, are you familiar with KAH on the Keenspot boards, and his "Souvenirs d'Avalon" suite for Avalon? He's a Romantic/gamemusic fan like yourself.

Ohh, now you've gone and inspired me to go check out the KS boards just for that. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:05 am 
gyoza wrote:
video game music is real similar to film music, though slightly more animated. My personal favourites are Masahiko Yoshimura (Shining Force), Motoi Sakuraba (Tales of Phantasia) and Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger).

I have a ton of Final Fntasy music that I listen to all the time. Usually to study, or even just to read. Nice mood music.

Quote:
Oh yeah. I've recently taken a liking to anime themes, or just J-pop tunes in general. The chirpier the better. Sometimes annoyingly so, but eh, can't take myself seriously all the time. :)

The chirpier is always the better! I'm not sure the Japanese know how to make non-chirpy music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:54 pm 
It's easier to mention what music I *DON'T* like - most operas, and most rap. I've yet to find a type of music which I didn't like at least some of.

*shrug* Some of the musical geniuses I particularly enjoy -

Elfman (and Oingo Boingo), Chet Atkins, Zappa (Frank, not his kids), Pink Floyd, Evanescence, Paula Cole, Heart, Holst's "Planets", Copeland's "Fanfare for the Common Man" as performed by ELP, Moby, Charlie 'Bird' Parker, Satchmo, (not old) Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Berle Ives.

Some much less-brilliant but still fun stuff:
AC/DC, Metallica, Brittany Spears, Spice Girls, Bob Hope, Bob Marley, and so much more it ain't even funny.

YMMV, 'course.

-John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:03 am 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

I'm with John.

I don't like the vast majority of rap. I can handle Beastie Boys occasionally.

I enjoy some opera. Not a lot, but some.

I don't care too awful much for 70's or 80's music, but I can handle it.

About the only thing that'll drive me to demanding the music be switched is gangsta rap and boy bands. Blah.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:40 pm 
I dunno, even rap can be well done sometimes methinks.

I'm with Maveric about hating "Screamers" music though. The shame about it is that usually the accompaniment sounds pretty cool, but the lead singing part sounds like ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:54 pm 
Quote:

Blackalicious, 2 Skinnee J's, Beastie Boys, The Roots, Outkast, Cypress Hill, Del the Funky Homosapian, Dizzee Rascal, The Streets, and of course the Sherwood Forest Raps from Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

Rap done right, in my opinion anyway.

Last edited by Ghoti-Heads on Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:22 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

gyoza wrote:

I'm with Maveric about hating "Screamers" music though. The shame about it is that usually the accompaniment sounds pretty cool, but the lead singing part sounds like ass.

Hmm, that's exactly why I can't stand AC/DC. The lead screamer is horrible.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:46 am 
Ogredude wrote:
gyoza wrote:

Hmm, that's exactly why I can't stand AC/DC. The lead screamer is horrible.

*chuckle* That's one of the reasons I *LIKE* them - they're so horrible, they're absolutely hilarious. That and their wonderful instrumental mastery....

-JB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:19 pm 
Yeah, the raucous voice is one of the trademarks of AC-DC. What I can't stand is the "grumblers", aka Death Metal and stuff. Those that bark out the lyrics in a "demonic" voice. I only despise them slightly less than Croatian hip-hoppers. :)

gwalla wrote:

Yeah, KAH is good. "Souvenirs d'Avalon" is very nice. Can't wait until it's finished :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:35 am 
Mravac Kid wrote:
Yeah, the raucous voice is one of the trademarks of AC-DC. What I can't stand is the "grumblers", aka Death Metal and stuff. Those that bark out the lyrics in a "demonic" voice. I only despise them slightly less than Croatian hip-hoppers. :)

The Cookie Monster vocals? ;) Actually, I like some death metal. Death and Voivod can be quite musically interesting (and Death has interesting lyrics, when you can understand them).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:01 am 
Energizer Bunny

My musician friend John likes strange juxtapositions. One of his most entertaining songs was about thirty seconds long. It was death metal.

"LILACS! THEY HAVE A PLEASANT SMELL!"

Vorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:33 pm 
*chuckle* Reminds me of SOD's "Jimi Hendrix Song". Three chords and "He's DEAD!"

Matched by their Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin songs.

-JB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:15 pm 
Great Big Sea and similar groups.

Chess - London Cast Black Box version

Gods save me from Rap...

Everything else is fine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:13 pm 
Discarnate wrote:
*chuckle* Reminds me of SOD's "Jimi Hendrix Song". Three chords and "He's DEAD!"

Matched by their Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin songs.

-JB

So, that's what it was :)
I remember a friend of mine had a 60 minutes cassette with some 90 songs on it, I forgot what it was until you reminded me of it :)

I think the longest one was a little under a minute :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:31 pm 
I'm on top of this one.

I'm a progressive rocker, which is a form of music to combine classical, jazz, and rock together in a sometimes-odd fusion.

Yes
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
King Crimson
Jethro Tull
Gentle Giant
Genesis (up until about 1978. They were best with Peter Gabriel fronting)
Ezra Winston (a little more obscure than the others)

I also like a good bit of acoustic and/or electronic instrumental. Not techno, necessarily, but what is often called "new age":

Vangelis ("The Friends of Mister Cairo", done with singer Jon Anderson, is one of the best albums ever)
Kevin Braheny
Ray Lynch
Jean-Michel Jarre
Larry Fast (aka Synergy)

If I think of more, I probably won't bore you all with them. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:22 am 
The only stuff I listen to with any regularity is Nightwish, so much that theirs are pretty much the only CDs I ever even buy. Guess they could be classified as some kind of rock, you'd have to listen to it to make up your own mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:34 pm 
Lots of rock - a lot of it is classified metal /nu-metal/alternative metal/whatever or punk/emo, although the labels sometimes don't make any sense to me. Most of the time I'm listening to music, I'm either driving or at the gym, and I need something to keep the aggression level up. (Remember, you should drive defensively, and the best defence is a good offence. :P )

When not driving/working out, I lean toward lighter rock, classical, some jazz and Big Band, and the occasional Gilbert and Sullivan. (Wanna freak someone at work out? Play Static-X and a selection from H.M.S. Pinafore back to back!)

Current rock bands of various flavours and degrees of "hardness" from the last year or two - favourite is a tie between Thrice and Lostprophets. Following behind, in no particular order: AFI, Story Of The Year, Papa Roach, Yellowcard, Static-X, Something Corporate, Disturbed, Drowning Pool, Count The Stars (fairly "pop"-py, but still good), Taking Back Sunday, Audioslave, Chevelle, The Ataris, Powerman 5000, Saosin, Avenged Sevenfold, and an "Overrated and Overhyped But I Still Like Them Anyway" special mention for Linkin Park.

Some lighter stuff: Oleander, Vertical Horizon, Three Doors Down, The Juliana Theory, Barenaked Ladies, some Tragically Hip, Nickelback, Matchbox 20, etc.

Going back a few years: NIN, Stabbing Westward, Op Ivy, Living Colour, New Radicals, Lenny Kravitz, Red Hot Chili Peppers (some of their recent stuff has sucked IMO) and some stuff I'm forgetting 'cause I lost a bunch of my CDs when moving.

Even Further Back - Hair Bands: Tesla (although their recent regroup was disappointing), Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Queensryche, Whitesnake.

Even Further Back - non-hair-bands: The Who (possibly the best band ever)! Billy Idol, Judas Priest, ELO, some Queen, Joan Jett (she was teh sexay!), Genesis, some older Rush, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, a little Jethro Tull (although I can only take so much woodflute in one sitting) and going way back, Steppenwolf.

And I like Pink. Make fun of me if you will, but I do.

As for classical, I like traditional symphonies and piano and violin concertos. I like traditional jazz, like Louis Armstrong, although some of the more recent stuff is OK. There are a couple of pop/countryish bands that I like, like Blue Rodeo. I like some Sinatra, too.

What do I hate? Most rap (although I do like some Eminem, even if I don't own it, and the Beasties are OK), virtually all country, and most pop. Britany Spears and her ilk will burn in an outer ring of Hell (except Shakira, who is actually fairly talented, even if not my style, and very hot!) While I don't mind some screamed lyrics when the words and emotional state of the song call for it, I can't handle "screamo" bands where virtually all the lyrics are screamed - Thursday, for example. The inner rings of hell will be populated by boy bands (bring me the head of Justin Timberlake!)

As long as I'm venting, just let me say I am sick of Creed, so very, very sick. (I liked them at first.) I am also sick of high-school-angst-teen-emo bands. (Although I like Simple Plan, 'cause they're funny - they don't take it so damn seriously.) Can't stand Blink 182 for some reason - I'm not sure why. Suprisingly, I don't detest Good Charlotte, although they are to punk what Taco Bell is to Mexican cuisine...okay for what they are (I actually like a couple of songs off their last album), but that's about it.

And Teh Worst Band Evah, IMO? Aerosmith. I LOATHE AEROSMITH!!! If you put a gun to my head and said "N'Sync or Aerosmith?", I'd choose N'Sync (and pray for the release of sweet, sweet death.) I saw an Aerosmith album yesterday with a sticker on it to that said something like "America's Best Rock Band" and almost threw up. AAUUUGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

But just remember, de gustibus non est disputandum. :D Unless you actually like Christina Aguliara or the Backstreet Boys, in which case there is no hope for you. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:49 pm 
Consul wrote:
I'm on top of this one.

I'm a progressive rocker, which is a form of music to combine classical, jazz, and rock together in a sometimes-odd fusion.

Yes
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
King Crimson
Jethro Tull
Gentle Giant
Genesis (up until about 1978. They were best with Peter Gabriel fronting)
Ezra Winston (a little more obscure than the others)

I also like a good bit of acoustic and/or electronic instrumental. Not techno, necessarily, but what is often called "new age":

Vangelis ("The Friends of Mister Cairo", done with singer Jon Anderson, is one of the best albums ever)
Kevin Braheny
Ray Lynch
Jean-Michel Jarre
Larry Fast (aka Synergy)

If I think of more, I probably won't bore you all with them. :)

I really like Yes, Kansas and Floyd (if you consider Floyd progressive), and Rush is OK, but I'm unfamiliar with a lot of other prog-rock. Since I wasn't alive during its heyday, and since it's usually pretty album-based and can be hard to find on the radio, it's taken me some work to find the good stuff.

I don't really like rap, punk, the sort of bubblegum-pop like Britney Spears that's popular nowadays, the sort of country sung by guys in gigantic hats and centering around pickup trucks and confederate flags, or alternative rock (though I have a few songs of the genre on my playlist to remind me of junior high school).

I like classic rock, blues rock, early metal, surf rock, arena rock like Boston and Frampton -- in fact most subsets of rock.

I also enjoy classical, jazz and blues, but have the same problem as I do with progressive (especially classical -- not only do you need to find a composer, but a good performance as well).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:43 pm 
theguy23 wrote:
I really like Yes, Kansas and Floyd (if you consider Floyd progressive), and Rush is OK, but I'm unfamiliar with a lot of other prog-rock. Since I wasn't alive during its heyday, and since it's usually pretty album-based and can be hard to find on the radio, it's taken me some work to find the good stuff.

The New Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock might help. rec.music.progressive can be helpful too, when it's not bogged down in yet another flamewar.

I suggest checking out King Crimson, particularly the albums In the court of the Crimson King (their first, 1969), Red (generally considered the best of their mid-70s incarnation), Discipline (their first 80s album, think Talking Heads with more compositional complexity), and The Power to Believe (2003, a synthesis of the mid-70s and 80s styles).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:51 pm 
Well, what can I say. My taste in music is eclectic and horrifying. You know how a lot of folks say, "I like everything but ---- ", be it rap, metal, whatever. Well I tend to go for stuff that's in the "but..." category. I guarantee you that no matter how extreme or eclectic your taste in music is, something in my collection will make you look at me like an alien and go, "What the *fsck* is wrong with you, dude?"

I'll start with metal. Nothing dilletantish! No hair bands, grunge, or nu metal. I cut my teeth on the Big Four (Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer) and just got more brutal from there. Lots of late nineties thrash such as Testament, Exodus, Paradox, Vio-lence, Nuclear Assault, Atrophy, Flotsam & Jetsam, Detent and Fear Of God (feat. the late Dawn Crosby), dead horse, Dark Angel (Gene Hoglan is God!), Death Angel, etc.

Of course let's not forget the mighty Motorhead!

Early death metal such as Death, Entombed (who have sort of reinvented themselves as a garage/punk/Motorhead type band), Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Deicide (their first album, before Glen Benton became such an asshole) and Bolt-Thrower.

I like some more modern death metal, especially the Gothenberg scene. Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquility, At The Gates, In Flames, Hypocrisy, Amon Amarth (from Stockholm) just to name a few.

Not much for the Norwegian black metal but a couple of bands, namely Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth really stand out in my opinion.

I also really dig any project with Devin Townsend, but especially Strapping Young Lad because Gene Hoglan is their drummer and as I mentioned before, he is godlike.

There's a little punk in my collection. Misfits, Gwar, Ramones, some DRI, some early NYC hardcore such as The Beastie Boys (before they went hip hop) and Bad Brains. I once saw UK Subs and that was a fine show.

I absolutely love The Gathering. I'd marry Anneke Von Giersbergen (except for the fact that she's already married and has a kid). I'd say they started out as kind of death metal but really have evolved into a class by themselves. Very trippy and ethereal stuff.

I'm into some trip-hop such as Portishead, Moorcheeba, Massive Attack, Sneaker Pimps (even if they are a little commercial), and Tricky. I had the privelage of seeing Portished when they toured for their self-titled second album.

I absolutely love Dead Can Dance and have just about everything they ever put out. I got to see them as well before they broke up. I understand they are getting back together and I am stoked.

I'm into some old school hip-hop such as LL Cool J, Run DMC, Biz Markie, Rodney O and Joe Coolie, DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince (I remember him as an up and coming rapper before anybody ever heard of a guy named Will Smith).

The stuff that really causes people to go WTF is probably the Screw. I'm into local H-town screw in a big way and actually have an original DJ Screw tape somewhere in the pile of crap under my bed. Swisha House, Mike Jones (who?), To Down, Paul Wall, Boss Hog Outlawz, Magno, 281 Boyz. It's enough to completelly blow your perception of me.

Last but not least has to be Tori Amos. She's really in a class by herself and it probably doesn't hurt that I want to jump her and sire her next child.