The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Radio stations?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:50 pm 
I really hate the near universal-format stations that are currently plaguing America (damn you, Clearchannel Communications), and that's about all you can get around here in Denver except for one college station that you can't hear at night thanks to the FCC's AM regulations.

Know any cool stations that have netcasts, or any nifty net stations? Post them here, please. Here's what I've found that I like so far:

Radio 1190 - Denver's only independent radio station. Random songs throughout the day, widely varied formatted programs in the evenings and weekends, late-night they switch to a genre that I think is called "ambient". My favorite shows are BaseMentalism (an underground rap program), Testosterone Detox (all girl-groups), Japanese Pop for a Beautiful Life (J-Pop), and Route 78 West (country, surf music, and spaghetti western themes).

KCRW - From L.A. This is where David Chase (writer, director, and producer of the Sopranos) first heard The Soprano's theme "Woke Up This Morning" by Alabama 3 . Website has live netcast or optional news only/music only feeds.

WFMU - New Jersey, New York. I haven't been listening to this one long, but I like what I've heard so far. Again, widely varied independent programming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:29 am 
My favorite radio stations:
New Rock 107.3- features mainly hard rock music with some cool stuff including Saturday Night Concert Series, Lunchtime Requests (weekday), Mandatory Metallica (daily) and a Sunday show featuring top 20 songs in scrambled order called Out of Order. It's a pretty good station but they outplayed a lot of songs because they're from Clear Channel. I don't think they have webcasting. :(

I sometimes listen to these college stations: KCPR and KCSB only when I get bored. They're pretty good stations but I usually listen to rock stuff. KCSB has webcasting that works but I'm not sure about KCPR's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:28 am 
KFOG - my "default" station. Your basic adult-alternative station, but it's independent, and will occasionally play some stuff you don't hear elsewhere (Johnny A) or just not on adult-alternative (Joe Satriani).

KALX - The University of California at Berkeley's radio station. They'll play all sorts of bizarre crap. On the plus side, you can find all sorts of out-there avant garde stuff, underground hip-hop, and just downright funky shit, and they tend not to play things to death like commercial radio. On the minus side, the student DJs will ramble on about stupid shit, say "ummm..." and "uhh...", and play some real garbage (which usually takes the form of crappy hardcore punk bands). IT's a grab-bag.

KCSM - Jazz radio, and not "smooth jazz". One of the few public stations left that isn't 24 hours of "Car Talk" and "All Things Considered", it has a tendency towards small ensemble jazz, especially bebop, but will also play some swing, cool jazz, free jazz, etc. About the only thing you won't find here is Kenny G. Downside: pledge drives a couple of times a year. But hey, they're making up for not running ads the rest of the time, so it's no big deal.

The Bone - They have a site but I have no desire to link it because you probably have a station just like this nearby. Your basic classic rock station with cock-rock leanings (used to be more of a "classic hard rock/metal" station, a.k.a. "all Sammy Hagar, all the time"). Sometimes I just want to jump up and down and headbang mindlessly, and it's usually good for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:44 pm 
WNCI Columbus. Your basic top 40 station. I only ever listen to it in the morning though. The WNCI Morning Zoo is the Number one morning show in Ohio for good reason. It's freaking hilarious! Join up to download some of their "Zoo Tunes", which are parodies of top songs. One of the best is the recently done "Jimmy's Mom" (about one of the DJ's Mom, she makes comments throughout it too) done to the tune of "Stacy's Mom has Got It Going On" :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 1:29 am 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

When I listen to the radio, it's usually on either NPR or NPR News. We don't have any radio stations around here besides those two that aren't ye olde standard mass-market stations.

All the other radio stations are owned by either Citadel, Clearchannel, or Journal Broadcast Group. And that includes the country stations.

So there's absolutely nothing unique or original on anything except the two NPR stations.

Now, KBSU, the local NPR affiliate, has some interesting programming in the evenings... (All program descriptions from the KBSU website, since I'm too tired and uncreative to think up my own)

Weekday nights from 8pm - 10pm is Echoes, one of my absolute favorite radio shows

Tuesday nights 10pm - 1am is Edges with Arthur Balinger -- The more nebulous, ethereal and "other worldly" side of "new age;" from Steve Roach to Brian Eno; from Robert Rich to David Parsons; an interesting and enjoyable consciousness altering musical experience.

Thursday nights 10pm - 1am is Fluid Drive with Arthur Balinger -- A fluid mix of jazz and blues, blues-rock, jazz-rock and "world" fusion with an emphasis on more recent releases.

Friday nights is their best night. I used to listen to NPR for 12-14 hours every Friday night while I was driving cab.

Starting at 8pm - 10pm is Echoes.

10pm - 12am is Shakedown Street with Arthur Balinger -- Hour 1 - Bluegrass, "jazz"-grass and "new"-grass with such artists as David Grisman, Tony Rice and Bela Fleck. Hour 2 - The Grateful Dead in concert and in the studio from 1965 - 1995; including solo recording efforts from individual band members.

12am - 6am is Dawn Flight with Arthur Balinger -- An energized offering of blues and blues rock and jazz rock, older and newer material - a shift into mellower gears after 4 am.

At 6am till 10am is my other favorite radio show, Laz Spectrum with Linda Laz -- A unique blend of folk, jazz, blues, bluegrass, International, Celtic and singer/songwriters. It's what Saturday morning is supposed to sound like.

Unfortunately, I don't get to listen to my Friday night/Saturday morning lineup anymore, since I no longer drive cab. But back when I did, I'd listen to NPR straight through the night and into the morning, and the vast majority of my customers (all except the ones who become royal assholes when they're drunk) liked the music too.

Saturday nights were a different story. After "Thistle & Shamrock" and "Celtic Connections", there wasn't a single good thing on the air till 8am Sunday (Car Talk)... So on went the MP3 player which was chock full of 15+ hours of assorted stuff from Rammstein and Front Line Assembly to Enya and Karl Jenkins... I'd switch music according to my passengers, and I usually manged to find something listenable.

There were many times when the MP3 player hit just the right combination of songs, and everyone in the cab would rock out as we cruised through town. A couple times, fares would make me drive another mile or two just to finish out the song, and then tip me big on top of it.

I tell you, that MP3 player, and KBSU's Friday night lineup, were responsible for a goodly amount of my extra tips.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:16 pm 
Radio here sucks greatly - you'd think there'd be one decent station in the country's largest city. Our only rock station - "K-Rock" - is horrible, plus you lose the morning to Howard Stern (who bores me greatly.)

Only decent radio station around here is the station out of Seton Hall University. Here's their top group list for 2003- read down the Top 25 and I like almost everything on it (except Thursday, who is way too "screamo" for me, and Opeth and 40 Below Summer, neither of which I've heard yet - but both are on my "check them out" list.) And I have to admit I can only take Primus in small doses.

There is - or at least used to be - a decent hard rock/metal station out on Long Island. I haven't been out there in a few years, but when I first moved to NYC almost six years ago, I distinctly remember them playing a speed-metal version of "Boys of Summer" that rocked greatly (The Ataris remake from last year isn't bad, but this was much better) - I wish I knew who did it.

Only commercial station I can stand is when I visit the family down in Tampa - 97X. Not perfect, but not bad. (Actually, 98 Rock in Tampa isn't bad either, despite being ClearChannel.)

(The only thing on NPR I ever listen to, other than the news once in a great while, is "Car Talk", strangely enough...)