Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 1:37 am 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

Mine has, many times over.

Seriously.

Yes, in cash.

Posting in the radio station thread really brought this to mind.

You see, back when I drove cab in Boise on Friday and Saturday nights (6:30pm - 8am), I got sick and tired of the crap that was on the radio, and of having to haul around a crate of CDs just to have a good variety and a good playlist length... So I stopped at a pawnshop one day and picked up a RioVolt SP90 CD/MP3 player for $40. Another $20 for a cassette adapter and power supply, and I was set.

I burned myself a few discs containing 12-15 hours of music, with a good assortment on each disc, and I started playing music that *I* wanted to listen to, matching it to each customer...

For the drunk kids coming out of the bars, it was pop or stuff like Rammstein... For the older people, it was lighter music... And for the family airport runs in the morning, I'd play various things like Sacred Spirit or Karl Jenkins...

It was a hit. My customized music not only got me bigger tips, but it also got me repeat business. My policy of putting on the music that the customer wanted (if I had it, of course) really impressed a whole lot of people.

I can't tell you how much fun it is to cruise across town at 3am, going 5mph above the speed limit with all the windows down and the stereo turned up full blast, with everyone in the car rocking out to Rammstein or Manowar. And the tips were fantastic.

I got pretty good at looking at a person and being able to guess what kind of music they liked... I'd adjust the player as they were approaching the car, so when they sat down, their kind of music was playing... It worked out pretty well.

So yeah, my MP3 player has definitely paid for itself many times over.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 2:41 pm 
Cool. It was a good idea, too. I don't use taxis, but I'm sure I'd rather take one which was playing some custom-selected rock than one that was playing the garbage on the local radio station.
And I'd definitely look for the same cab when returning :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:23 pm 
Mine hasn't payed for itself, but I still love it. I got a Gateway DMP-300 for Christmas. 256 MB and 10 hours of battery life on a single AAA battery. Don't believe the website, I can get over 4 hours of music on there (there are currently 47 songs on it). I listen to it at work, and have a new playlist every day. I don't need an I-Pod or anything like that kid of space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:12 pm 
My MP3 player payed for itself when it kept working even after it went through the wash. Just wish the software that came with it wasn't so crappy.