The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:59 pm 
Apparently when you buy the Hard drive for the PS3, it may come preinstalled with Linux according to this interview. http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/09 ... 27219.html
Quote:
KK: I believe its wrong that, while we've been calling PlayStations "computers," Nintendo, which is in our same business, keeps telling the world their consoles are "toys." So even though we're making something that has the capability to be recognized as a supercomputer and requires paperwork when exporting or importing, the government sees it as a "toy." The PlayStation 2 has something as great as the Emotion Engine, and it can even run Linux, but it's still considered a gaming machine. I thought that the situation would become better since Microsoft appeared [in the gaming industry] from the IT field. But they won't say it either, since they want to protect their business. They see problems if the Xbox could run Windows, so they keep calling the Xbox a "game machine." It is really a pain in the neck. This time, we're positioning the PS3 as a "supercomputer." But people won't recognize it as a computer unless we call it a computer, so we're going to run an OS on it. In fact, the Cell can run multiple OSes. In order to run the OSes, we need an HDD. So in order to declare that the PS3 is a computer, I think we'll have [the PS3's HDD] preinstalled with Linux as a bonus.


Any thoughts on this?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:11 pm 
If Sony puts a HDD in the PS3, they will have the same problems Microsoft did with pirating that the Xbox did. You don't need the game disc to play a game on the Xbox if you have played it once. You can save the game to the HDD, and play it from there. In other words, like a rental? Keep it! No late fees cuz you can bring it back to the store on time, and still play the game later. Also, since all consoles are now connected to the internet, you can download the game directly to your HDD, and nexer pay a penny for it. Sony can do all they want from making the discs funky colors (why do you think the old PS1 discs were black?) to coding it into the CPU, someone is going to find a workaround and get free games. Especially with an open source OS like Linux.

Oh, and last I heard, Xbox 360 didn't have a HDD for this very reason.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:17 am 
Hey, that's great, if people start downloading games for consoles, the market becomes less profitable, and it might return investment to the PC :wink:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:03 am 
Maveric wrote:
If Sony puts a HDD in the PS3, they will have the same problems Microsoft did with pirating that the Xbox did. You don't need the game disc to play a game on the Xbox if you have played it once. You can save the game to the HDD, and play it from there. In other words, like a rental? Keep it! No late fees cuz you can bring it back to the store on time, and still play the game later. Also, since all consoles are now connected to the internet, you can download the game directly to your HDD, and nexer pay a penny for it. Sony can do all they want from making the discs funky colors (why do you think the old PS1 discs were black?) to coding it into the CPU, someone is going to find a workaround and get free games. Especially with an open source OS like Linux.


The PS2 had a hard drive AND linux, and nobody figured out how to pirate games onto it. They DID figure out how to put a mod chip in and play games off a copied DVD though. The PS3 will not ship with a hard drive but will both have a bay for a 2.5 inch hard drive, and will support external storage through the network. The PS2 discs had no odd colors at all. The PS3 won't either past the fact that they are Bluray discs. Piracy just isn't as widespread of problem as you indicate. It's pretty much limited to a handful of people. The PS3 will take a mod chip that is a heck of a lot more complex than the ones for PS2.

You will also need a tremendous hard drive to store and huge broadband to download PS3 games. I can't imagine keeping several 50 gigabyte games on the hard drive. Can you?

One sidenote about PS2 linux, they had everything as open source except the drivers for the IO chip. These were closed source and they did not include the SDK documentation for that one chip.

Quote:
Oh, and last I heard, Xbox 360 didn't have a HDD for this very reason.


Last I heard, Xbox360 was coming with one. MS may have changed their mind though. At least all the Xbox360 fanboys have been using this as a reason to bash the PS3. "The Xbox360 comes with one free, and you have to pay extra for the PS3's hd. *point, laugh*"

Edit: added a note about the sheer size of PS3 games.


Last edited by Kazriko on Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:05 am 
Dark wrote:
Hey, that's great, if people start downloading games for consoles, the market becomes less profitable, and it might return investment to the PC :wink:


There will always be PC games, just because the barriers to entry on the Console market are so high. But then again, you probably don't like games like Galactic Civilizations and Stellar Crisis.


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group