[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Nightstar Zoo • View topic - Obscurity

The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Obscurity
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:26 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:44 pm 
Ohhh. I've been hooked on Harvest moon since I fired up the original SNES one in an emulator...

Since then I've bought the PS1 version, the PS2 version, the Gamecube version, and 2 different ones for gameboy.

I don't really care for the two new ones, but it's still a great series.

Obscurity...

Well, there is this very old game called Larn that I was addicted to for some time in high school. This has mostly been replaced Angband recently though.

Sherlock and Honeycomb Hotel are also very addictive.

Picross/ Picture Logic/Descartes Enigma. They rock! There's versions of these for a variety of systems, including Gameboy (Mario Picross), PalmOS, and Windows. I hope they release a better one for my Zodiac system.

Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter is a more mainstream game thats still not commented on often. It takes a bit to get used to, but it's quite worth it. Most BOF fans don't really like it because of how non-traditional it is. My avatar is from this game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:19 am 
Betrayal at Krondor was great, way too old for most people to care about.

Ditto about many such old (pre-'95) games. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:48 am 
Official Village Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:36 am 
Nethack and Rogue. Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri. MOO II. So many fun games, so little time...

-JB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:24 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:15 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:01 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:34 pm 
Well, most of the games I like are not wildly disliked, but some are fairly unknown...
Trespasser for one didn't really get much acclaim, and I find it to be a superb game (if you can get beyond the awkward movements of the hand). Hollywood Mogul is also a nice game, though I've only played the demo. NetKar is a great racing game, much better than any of the "real" racing games. The same goes for Live For Speed.
I also play a lot of old games, my favorites are Elite (the best game ever, no contest), Alter Ego, Dark Empire (on the C=64), Test Drive 2, Need For Speed (the first one), Privateer, Their Finest Hour... there's tons of them, in all time periods. Let's not forget the legends such as Civilisation, Pirates!, Darklands, Silent Service II, Monkey Island, Leisure Suit Larry...

Alpha Centauri? It's one of the best games ever. Of course, the same can be said of any other Sid Meier game, but still... :)

Ahh, MOO :)
The days I spent on that one... and still do :)
I only wish the third was as entertaining as the first two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:59 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:56 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:50 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:47 am 
Planescape?
Very old?
Dude, I just played some Daggerfall :)

As for Colonization and MOM, I would have mentioned them, but I didn' really want to list all the old games I like. After all, that's more than 300 of them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:41 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:32 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:45 pm 
Valkyrie Profile for PS1. Made by Enix before the merger with Square. Nifty RPG with a ton of characters, and each of them has some speaking parts! Voice in a PS1 game? That's almost unheard of (at least for me). Plus it has a really cool battle system that focuses on combos to cause the most damage. Do a good combo, and you can do an uber-cool super move to really rip apart the foes. Plus, there are 3 different endings. The only real beef I have with the game, is that it's so damn depressing.

Quartet for Sega Master System. Well, it is for the SMS. Quartet is just an 8-bit side scroller, but was one of my favourite games back in the day (it's called Quartet because the arcade version was the first to support 4 players)

And for PC: Commander Keen. Numbers 1, 4, 5, and 6. My dad used to play these all the time and try to find every stinking piece of candy in the entire game so he could get the max score. It used to drive me nuts when he'd spend 10+ minutes on the pogo stick trying to get a single piece of candy that was maybe worth 100 points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:25 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:50 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:38 pm 
Oh yeah, we had Duke Nukem #2 as well. I was surprised when the FPS's came out, and they were a Doom clone rather than kinda similar to the originals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 4:50 pm 
Energizer Bunny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:44 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 4:09 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:51 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:14 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:20 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:22 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:48 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:06 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:48 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:20 pm 
I've always loved Harvest Moon myself... as far as the current generation of consoles, I've liked (if not appreciated/loved) Gitaroo Man, Disaster Report, Rez, and Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis. I'm sure I'd find more, but I'd have to check the database. (I think that my fiance and I are reaching close to 250 next-gen games.)