The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Obscurity
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:26 pm 
So does anyone have a little know, or widely disliked title that they can't get enough of?

I find people get attached to the weirdest games, my vice is Harvest Moon. Don't ask me why, it's just fun for some reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:44 pm 
Ohhh. I've been hooked on Harvest moon since I fired up the original SNES one in an emulator...

Since then I've bought the PS1 version, the PS2 version, the Gamecube version, and 2 different ones for gameboy.

I don't really care for the two new ones, but it's still a great series.

Obscurity...

Well, there is this very old game called Larn that I was addicted to for some time in high school. This has mostly been replaced Angband recently though.

Sherlock and Honeycomb Hotel are also very addictive.

Picross/ Picture Logic/Descartes Enigma. They rock! There's versions of these for a variety of systems, including Gameboy (Mario Picross), PalmOS, and Windows. I hope they release a better one for my Zodiac system.

Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter is a more mainstream game thats still not commented on often. It takes a bit to get used to, but it's quite worth it. Most BOF fans don't really like it because of how non-traditional it is. My avatar is from this game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:19 am 
Betrayal at Krondor was great, way too old for most people to care about.

Ditto about many such old (pre-'95) games. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:48 am 
Official Village Idiot

My two favorites were big - huge, even - in their day, but have since been supplanted by flashy graphics and sound - not to mention the simple passage of time. I still play 'em both whenever I have the time. First, who can deny the greatness of the original Civilization? It's the reason I almost had to repeat the ninth grade. :) And then there's Master of Orion. I found that one even more addictive than Civ. If you don't play as (or against) the Psilons, it's certainly the better balanced of the two.

These kids today - real gamers don't need more than 512k of memory. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:36 am 
Nethack and Rogue. Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri. MOO II. So many fun games, so little time...

-JB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:24 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

mmm...

Definitely nethack. Even 15 years after I discovered it, I still go back to it every once in a while.

Alpha Centauri is so far my absolute favorite strategy game. I love how it's incredibly deep and complex, but at the same time you can pretty much ignore all that complexity. I played for over a year before I discovered how to maximize efficiency by putting Workers to Talents...

Picross/Picture Logic/whatever: Also known as nonograms. Discovered these a number of years back, and I like the random ones better than the picture ones. The picture ones, you get enough completed and you can just blindly fill in the rest. The random ones make you think the whole way through.

One of my favorite games was Starship Titanic. Cool graphics, amazing parser, and funny as heck because Douglas Adams wrote it.

But probably my all-time favorite adventure type game, due to its offbeat graphics, intense storyline, and brilliant humor, is a little LucasArts game called "Grim Fandango". I replay it every couple years just for giggles.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:15 pm 
Alpha Centari rocks! No one ever knows what I am talking about when I mention it and here are two people that actually like it as much as me? Thats cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:01 pm 
Alpha Centari would be fun to play with other people if it was not so inconvenient to set up. Of course, that also wards off idiots who cut the game off and talk in leet speak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:34 pm 
Well, most of the games I like are not wildly disliked, but some are fairly unknown...
Trespasser for one didn't really get much acclaim, and I find it to be a superb game (if you can get beyond the awkward movements of the hand). Hollywood Mogul is also a nice game, though I've only played the demo. NetKar is a great racing game, much better than any of the "real" racing games. The same goes for Live For Speed.
I also play a lot of old games, my favorites are Elite (the best game ever, no contest), Alter Ego, Dark Empire (on the C=64), Test Drive 2, Need For Speed (the first one), Privateer, Their Finest Hour... there's tons of them, in all time periods. Let's not forget the legends such as Civilisation, Pirates!, Darklands, Silent Service II, Monkey Island, Leisure Suit Larry...

Alpha Centauri? It's one of the best games ever. Of course, the same can be said of any other Sid Meier game, but still... :)

Ahh, MOO :)
The days I spent on that one... and still do :)
I only wish the third was as entertaining as the first two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:59 pm 
What??
No Master of Magic??
No Colonization??
No Crescent's Hawk's Inception??
No Goldbox games??
No Planescape: Torment??
No It Came From the Desert I+II??
No Wings??
No Defender of the Crown??
No Secret Weapons over Normandy??

Sheesh.
:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:56 pm 
IS_Wolf wrote:
No Master of Magic??
No Colonization??
No Crescent's Hawk's Inception??
No Goldbox games??
No Planescape: Torment??
No It Came From the Desert I+II??
No Wings??
No Defender of the Crown??
No Secret Weapons over Normandy??

Yes there is, you just added it. ;)

I'm afraid i've never played any of those games however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:50 am 
You've got to at least play Planescape. It's very old (Infinity engine), but still highly playable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:47 am 
Planescape?
Very old?
Dude, I just played some Daggerfall :)

As for Colonization and MOM, I would have mentioned them, but I didn' really want to list all the old games I like. After all, that's more than 300 of them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:41 am 
Mravac Kid wrote:
Planescape?
Very old?

As for Colonization and MOM, I would have mentioned them, but I didn' really want to list all the old games I like. After all, that's more than 300 of them...

Well, considering it didn't sell a lot, I figured it merited a mention.
As for Daggerfall. *pthooeuy* I don't like games, where I get lost and there's no real indication of where I need to go next. Its buggyness didn't help either.

And hey, I didn't list ALL the old games, just some I happen to like. And some of which are Amiga games only. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:32 am 
Mravac Kid wrote:
Planescape?
Very old?

And? The paintings of Lasceaux predated the roman empire... Is Rome not old?

BTW, on what OS did you run Daggerfall? I've heard less that stellar success getting it to run properly in XP. I've been meaning to try it for years. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:45 pm 
Valkyrie Profile for PS1. Made by Enix before the merger with Square. Nifty RPG with a ton of characters, and each of them has some speaking parts! Voice in a PS1 game? That's almost unheard of (at least for me). Plus it has a really cool battle system that focuses on combos to cause the most damage. Do a good combo, and you can do an uber-cool super move to really rip apart the foes. Plus, there are 3 different endings. The only real beef I have with the game, is that it's so damn depressing.

Quartet for Sega Master System. Well, it is for the SMS. Quartet is just an 8-bit side scroller, but was one of my favourite games back in the day (it's called Quartet because the arcade version was the first to support 4 players)

And for PC: Commander Keen. Numbers 1, 4, 5, and 6. My dad used to play these all the time and try to find every stinking piece of candy in the entire game so he could get the max score. It used to drive me nuts when he'd spend 10+ minutes on the pogo stick trying to get a single piece of candy that was maybe worth 100 points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:25 pm 

I *LOVED* the Commander Keen games!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:50 pm 
Ditto. We had all of them. We even got Keen Dreams after a while (though it sucked). Similar such games that we enjoyed include Duke Nukem 1 and 2, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures (1, 2 & 3)... The newer Jazz Jackrabbit (1 & 2) of course. Jill of the Jungle, too. :)

Damn this brings me back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:38 pm 
Oh yeah, we had Duke Nukem #2 as well. I was surprised when the FPS's came out, and they were a Doom clone rather than kinda similar to the originals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 4:50 pm 
Energizer Bunny

Marathon, System Shock.

Vorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:44 pm 
There was a game called Team Buddies for the PS1. It was like a cross between Bomberman and Warcraft. Loved it very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 4:09 am 
Maveric wrote:
Oh yeah, we had Duke Nukem #2 as well. I was surprised when the FPS's came out, and they were a Doom clone rather than kinda similar to the originals.

I was surprised and disappointed. It was kinda the death of what Duke Nukem was. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:51 pm 

I'd never really played Duke Nukem and Duke Nukem 2, so I wasn't too attached to the platform aspect of it. So when Duke Nukem 3D came out, I was very pleased with it.

We used to play multiplayer in the college computer labs all the time. It was great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:14 pm 
Raif wrote:
Mravac Kid wrote:
Planescape?
Very old?

And? The paintings of Lasceaux predated the roman empire... Is Rome not old?

BTW, on what OS did you run Daggerfall? I've heard less that stellar success getting it to run properly in XP. I've been meaning to try it for years. :)

Windows 98 Second Edition. Can't beat it for non-new games.
I think there's a patch for Daggerfall that allows it to work with XP.

When I think of "old games", i think mostly of games that predate 3D accelerator cards. True, lately I've begun thinking of games that predate my system as old (that's '98 and earlier). But that's only for games with 3D graphics, the 2D games have a much longer sell-by date.

Keen and Duke were great games, and the epitome of platformers for the PC. I don't think there will ever be better platformers. But I was always more into games with a bit more freedom (i.e. flight sims), so I liked Duke 3D a lot (I still think it's one of the best FPS games ever).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:20 am 

As far as platformers goes, I quite liked Abuse. It had an interesting engine, where your mouse aimed and fired your gun 360°, and your keyboard moved you around.

Fun game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:22 am 
How's this for obscurity:

I picked up an old SNES game a while back called Odysseia, from Vic Tokai. Thing is, the cartridge is the only proof I've got that this thing ever existed. There's no information anywhere about it, not even on GameFAQs (which until then I'd believed to at least have the name of every game ever made for the console)

And to make matters worse, I'm currently stuck in the second kingdom, and can't figure out how to proceed 8O It's been awhile since I had a challenge.... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:48 pm 
weekendrisktaker wrote:
How's this for obscurity:

I picked up an old SNES game a while back called Odysseia, from Vic Tokai. Thing is, the cartridge is the only proof I've got that this thing ever existed. There's no information anywhere about it, not even on GameFAQs (which until then I'd believed to at least have the name of every game ever made for the console)

And to make matters worse, I'm currently stuck in the second kingdom, and can't figure out how to proceed 8O It's been awhile since I had a challenge.... :twisted:

According to theunderdogs.com, the company is defunct.

theunderdogs.com wrote:
Small publisher of little-known action, adventure and simulation games from small developers. They were more successful on the console systems, with some minor hits. They appear to have gone out of business sometime in 1998.

From what I can tell from the website, it's dead as a gaming company, but is still in business as a communications company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:06 pm 
Well I find Planescape: Torment excellent, I hear the sales for that weren't too good
and the same for Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem for the NGC, that was an excellent game, but I hear the sales weren't that good for it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:48 pm 
I'm not sure if Bahamut Lagoon for SNES qualifies as 'little-known', but it was never released outside of Japan. It used a very interesting battle system that was a combination of moving your characters around a battle map (a la Shining Force) and Final Fantasy style menu-based battle rounds.

Aside from the story making little sense I thought it was a really cool game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:20 pm 
I've always loved Harvest Moon myself... as far as the current generation of consoles, I've liked (if not appreciated/loved) Gitaroo Man, Disaster Report, Rez, and Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis. I'm sure I'd find more, but I'd have to check the database. (I think that my fiance and I are reaching close to 250 next-gen games.)