The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guild Wars
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:07 pm 
http://www.guildwars.com/

This up and coming MMORPG is not only crisp looking and looks like it will be entertaining to play. There is no monthly fee. None. You heard me right, as in $0.00.

Pretty darn cool if I do say so myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:15 pm 
So /that's/ where the people that fled Blizzard went to......

That game looks like it will rock muchly, more for the fact it will have no monthly fee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:20 pm 
Exactly. Everyone who has been steering clear of the genre because of that infamous monthly fee, this is your chance to try it out. It just makes it that much cooler that the game still will kick a whole lot of others collective bums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:50 pm 
Yes. That stupid monthly fee thing is the only reason I don't have every MMORPG ever made. I just don't have the time to devote to justify spending 10+ dollars a month to play a game. Sometimes I go a month with a max of one hour of gameplay. Then others I go for a while with a min of 3 hours per day. It just depends on my schedual. But I will probally get this game because, if I don't play it, I don't loose money for somthing I'm not using.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:22 am 
I think it's safe to say we all knew those guys would move on to something cool. Bill Roper's my best friend. He just doesn't know it yet.

Seiously though, this is fresh blood in an industry being strangled by clueless/underhanded publishers, foolish managers, and management shifts caused by large-scale buyouts. :)

I'm excited. Can you tell? :D:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:07 pm 
Free beta trial coming up, the 12th thru the 14th of may. The schedualed release is early October.

Mmmm.... I think I know where I'll likely be on Halloween!

-John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:09 pm 
Hmm, Might make a tolerable also-ran to ffxi. I've been avoiding other mmorpgs because I can't devote the time and money to two at once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:59 pm 
We should set up a meeting in game during the open beta. (By the way, for those who do not know, that is a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:33 pm 
Kazriko wrote:
Hmm, Might make a tolerable also-ran to ffxi.

Or it might be better. Remember that square has long been a company to play it safe and stick with a formula... they're known for it. These are the people who made Blizzard what it is. :P

Darth: concur. I'll probably be in there as much as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:48 pm 
Raif wrote:
Kazriko wrote:
Hmm, Might make a tolerable also-ran to ffxi.

Or it might be better. Remember that square has long been a company to play it safe and stick with a formula... they're known for it. These are the people who made Blizzard what it is. :P

And Blizzard isn't? Warcraft 2, and starcraft... If that isn't sticking to a formula...
Diablo was just a Roguelike game with Multiplayer, better graphics and more realtime gameplay. All of those elements had been done before on roguelikes, just not at the same time.

Square experiments as well, just not as much on their mainline products. If you don't believe me, look at the SaGa series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:30 pm 
And then Square is also messing around with the Final Fantasy name a lot lately. Crystal Chronicals is an awesome game, even though it is nothing like the other Final Fantasy games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:10 am 
Kazriko wrote:
And Blizzard isn't? Warcraft 2, and starcraft... If that isn't sticking to a formula...

It isn't.

Warcraft 2: Do you consider Super Mario Bros. to be the same as Mario 64? It's an entirely different game. Different mechanics, different feel, different style. Starcraft: Completely original franchise... not (as was feared before its release) "Orcs in Space." Are you saying any two RTS's are pretty much the same thing?

To put it another way, do you consider the Odyssey and "O Brother, Where Art Thou" to be the same thing? Do you think the latter was a good film?

Quote:
Diablo was just a Roguelike game with Multiplayer, better graphics and more realtime gameplay. All of those elements had been done before on roguelikes, just not at the same time.

D&D has been around for a LONG time. So have computers. Are you telling me that Baldur's Gate was just a trivial combination of the two? :) Was Ratchett and Clank a rehash one of the many other platformers? Most everything it did had been done before, at least as far as mechanics are concerned. Atmosphere was Diablo's big thing, IMO. The franchise, the feel, the context.

Hell, even for the sake of argument let's say they don't come up with revolutionary game design (which they have). They are known, both by fans and within the industry as being a pack leader. Assuming totally pre-existing core mechanics, they can add flavor where other companies rely on old, tired crap. Elves, fairies and dwarves, oh my! :)

Summing up: It's all in the franchise, and in a period where publishers have never been more cautious they're coupling a new universe with a new business model. I don't care if you don't like Bliz, but at least give its founders their due credit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:37 am 
Heh, Only if you'll give SquareEnix its credit where it is due. Enix is the company that started the entire console RPG, and Square is the first one that came along and extended it in an intelligent manner. Both of them continued to revolutionize Console as much as R&C revolutionized platformers, and Diablo revolutionized Roguelike games. (Even if they didn't do it on their mainline franchises as much.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:44 am 
Raif wrote:
Warcraft 2: Do you consider Super Mario Bros. to be the same as Mario 64? It's an entirely different game. Different mechanics, different feel, different style. Starcraft: Completely original franchise... not (as was feared before its release) "Orcs in Space." Are you saying any two RTS's are pretty much the same thing?

Well, any two top-view, 2D RTSs are pretty much the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:48 am 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

The General wrote:
Well, any two top-view, 2D RTSs are pretty much the same.

Then why is it that I love Warcraft II but I don't care for Warcraft, and I can't stand Starcraft?

Back into obscurity for a moment here, my favorite RTS game of alltime is "The Outforce"

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:25 pm 
Kazriko wrote:
revolutionize Console as much as R&C revolutionized platformers, and Diablo revolutionized Roguelike games.

Ahem. That was supposed to be "Console RPGs."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:28 pm 
Raif wrote:

BTW, the SMB-Mario64 thing is kind of a false analogy. It's more like SMB -> SMB3. Better graphics, slightly enhanced gameplay, same old 2d jump-and-run.

If you want a SMB->Mario64 jump, try comparing Starcraft to Homeworld. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:10 pm 
Raif wrote:
Darth: concur. I'll probably be in there as much as possible.

I will look over what I can and try and pick a time and place. When I do, I will post it here. Do they have a map up on the site...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:11 pm 
Thats a really short beta test. And it's in the week before my finals. But I'll probally still play it because I have no real love of sleep. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:36 pm 
It's less of a 'beta test' and more of a 'we're showing this off at E3 and want more than 10 people on' and 'dear god I hope our server survives'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:23 pm 
Yeh, but it would be more fun if it was longer. :cry:

Oh well. I'll probally be buying the game anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:47 am 
Kazriko wrote:
Heh, Only if you'll give SquareEnix its credit where it is due.

Alright. Just so long as we're not writing off games as runners-up before we try them. ;)

Kazriko wrote:
BTW, the SMB-Mario64 thing is kind of a false analogy. It's more like SMB -> SMB3. Better graphics, slightly enhanced gameplay, same old 2d jump-and-run.

If you want a SMB->Mario64 jump, try comparing Starcraft to Homeworld. :)

Don't get too bogged down in the little details. The game play was significantly different, such that the two didn't resemble the same mechanics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:43 pm 
I thought I would find out what everyone is planning on trying for the show off beta, in case we group. I am going to be either a Ranger or a Monk. What about you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:55 pm 
Elementalist, Monk, Necromancer, Mesmer (in that order of preference). Could be any of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:00 pm 
Hmm... I dunno I gotta look at it some more. Right now it just isn't enough info for me to make a deffinitive choice. I'd be all of them but I want to see how they work ingame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:04 pm 
As of Noon Today (EDT, Tuesday, May 11) Guild Wars is /live/ and it kicks serious ass.

[edit] Ok, the game is definatly in a Beta state, but it's fun enough as it is (it needs some things it lacks..like music). Hopefully the full version comes out soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:56 pm 
Gah! They started early! I gotta get on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:35 pm 
The game is great, especialy for an early build.

I am playing a Ranger, sub class monk, named Kane Shinseki. I hope to see you on. We need to find a time to group and adventure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:08 pm 
The damn thing keeps crashing for me! :mad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:28 pm 
There is only one town in the game right now. So I asume we will meet there, possibly tomorow?