The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:45 pm 
Is there a game you've recommended to someone, even though it wasn't their usual genre?

...especially if it turns out that person liked it?

E.g. My wife, Mrs. Keradon, is usually a Turn-based RPG gamer, with a good dose of puzzle gamer thrown in.

I was uncertain about showing her Black and White, but I figured that if she liked The Sims, she'd like a god-sim.

I actually had difficulty tearing her from the computer. :twisted:

Ever have a similar situation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:25 pm 
It's hard not to get addicted to Black & White, no matter your usual preference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:49 am 
Unless it's ridiculously slanted against your style of play. :P

I still suspect few of the testers really did much with the light side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:29 am 
I'm the only person I know who refused to play evil. I think that's largely because they didn't balance the two enough. It was easiest to be both good and evil, depending on who you're dealing with, but the game considers that just plain evil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:47 am 
Whenever I play B&W and try to be good, my pet ends up creeping toward evil anyway. It never fails to frustrate me. And when I get frustrated, I start killing followers for the fun of it. And then I realise what I am doing and try to be good aain, but then my pet continues to do evil, and...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:01 pm 
DarthBaboon wrote:
Whenever I play B&W and try to be good, my pet ends up creeping toward evil anyway. It never fails to frustrate me. And when I get frustrated, I start killing followers for the fun of it. And then I realise what I am doing and try to be good aain, but then my pet continues to do evil, and...

Why? Being evil is much more fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:50 pm 
Because their key selling point was "You can play however you want" without the addition of "so long as it's evil." :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:21 pm 
DarthBaboon wrote:

You're not training him well enough. That's basically what the first island is for. Just watch him for extended periods of time, and teach him not to do anything bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:30 pm 
The General wrote:
DarthBaboon wrote:

You're not training him well enough. That's basically what the first island is for. Just watch him for extended periods of time, and teach him not to do anything bad.

Bah. Feeding him villagers is so much more enjoyable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:33 pm 
The General wrote:
DarthBaboon wrote:

Maveric wrote:
Why? Being evil is much more fun!

Exactly. I just don't have the will power to make him good. Evil is too... enticing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:08 am 
I was doing very well at teaching him to be good (a cow, no less, predispositioned toward good). I moved on to the second island and he complained that I wasn't giving him enough attention. So did the villagers. He went extremely evil and everything went to hell by stage 3. :P The funny thing was that all he ever did was cast the dove miracle and rain on fields, and occasionally sh*t on a house (every time I trained him to go into a field he'd head for a house instead. I think that was a bug). And he was still considered evil. :P

Also, I was considered an evil god because 1) leaving villagers to their own devices is evil and 2) helping villagers too much makes them expect unreasonable things, and then they think of you as evil. 3) there didn't seem to be an acceptable mixture of the two that actually worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:24 am 
Raif wrote:
Also, I was considered an evil god because 1) leaving villagers to their own devices is evil and 2) helping villagers too much makes them expect unreasonable things, and then they think of you as evil. 3) there didn't seem to be an acceptable mixture of the two that actually worked.

Perhaps they're trying to make a philosophical point, there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:25 am 
Doubt it. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:39 pm 
I think you all just suck at being good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:03 pm 
But they're very good at sucking. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:07 pm 
I thought Black & White was a hoot, but this computer won't run it. The game installs and loads fine, but the video goes freakin' nuts every time I try to play the game.

I suppose I could try it on my laptop. At least CFS3 runs on this machine OK.