The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EverQuest meets the Army
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:27 pm 
The U.S. Army has contracted video game designers to develop a virtual Earth MMORPG for mission training. It'll backfire when they can no longer get their soldiers away from the computer to actually carry out missions IRL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:20 pm 
Cool. Ridiculously ambitious, but cool. I'm sure the military will throw enough money at it to make it work. Gotta love grants. >:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:33 pm 
I wonder if they'll release it to the public? :)

I'm still waiting for America's Army: Soldiers, but they got sidetracked by that side-project, America's Army: Operations ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:48 pm 
Mravac Kid wrote:

I'm still waiting for America's Army: Soldiers, but they got sidetracked by that side-project, America's Army: Operations ;)

We're looking at three (at least) new updates for this year alone. So Soldiers appears to be quite some way off. :P

Me?? Want more badges. Like the badges. :lol:

(Only 7% of over two million players, who've completed basic training are qualified as snipers. Only 425.000+ are qualified as medics. Only 196.000+ have completed their SF training. And who knows how many have failed to get their airborne school.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:29 am 
Wolf, you're the first person to make me want to download this. I bet I could be a sniper. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:55 pm 
Raif wrote:
Wolf, you're the first person to make me want to download this. I bet I could be a sniper. :)

Don't be so sure, firing range can be a real pain. My personal best was 38 out of 40, but my comp crashed and I never got the chance to upload it. Took me awhile to get the 36 minimum for sniperschool. And hitting the targets with both the M24 and M82 is definitely a challenge. :)

M16A2 firing range has you firing 20 shots standing, and 20 prone. Getting 20/20 while prone is easy. It's the standing bit which is a pain, due to gunsway. (Plus hit detection seems off sometimes, I've tested it offline and even with a Sopmod with scope, hitting a target dead center, didn't make it tip over)

But you should definitely give it a whirl. There's some definitely fun maps. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:37 pm 
IS_Wolf wrote:
Mravac Kid wrote:

We're looking at three (at least) new updates for this year alone. So Soldiers appears to be quite some way off. :P

(Only 7% of over two million players, who've completed basic training are qualified as snipers. Only 425.000+ are qualified as medics. Only 196.000+ have completed their SF training. And who knows how many have failed to get their airborne school.)

Dammit, still no soldiers.
So, I'm in the top few percent? Wow, there are some lazy and incompetent people out there :p
I had no problem getting the required 36 shots, and my best is 39 (though I have never been able to replicate that achievement). I also had no problem on the sniper range, it took me only three tries before I got all the targets (on the first one I mistook a bush for the target, as I didn't know what I was supposed to look for). The SF and medic training were quite easy, though the SF needs some care around the guard posts.
The Airborne school was the most difficult, but I still managed in a few tries. I even managed landing in a couple of missions :)

Raif, get it if you can. It's a lot of fun, especially when you get the chance to use the SAW >:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:57 pm 
Mravac Kid wrote:
IS_Wolf wrote:
Mravac Kid wrote:

Dammit, still no soldiers.
So, I'm in the top few percent? Wow, there are some lazy and incompetent people out there :p

Kids these days have no patience what so ever. :lol:

Mravac Kid wrote:
I had no problem getting the required 36 shots, and my best is 39 (though I have never been able to replicate that achievement). I also had no problem on the sniper range, it took me only three tries before I got all the targets (on the first one I mistook a bush for the target, as I didn't know what I was supposed to look for).

Finding the right spot to hit with the Barret was a pain at first, but I managed after shot 5. Tried it again few times after that, till I managed to hit it 10/10. M24 was rather easy, hit detection seemed more accurate as well for some reason.

Mravac Kid wrote:
The SF and medic training were quite easy, though the SF needs some care around the guard posts.

Yup, E&E took me about 45 minutes to complete. And I did it in my first go too. :lol:

Medic was way too easy, surprised that so few people have passed it really. It's an easy way to get a lot of honour points.

Mravac Kid wrote:
The Airborne school was the most difficult, but I still managed in a few tries. I even managed landing in a couple of missions :)

Same here. Though that airfield mission is insane. Chances of Assault winning are very very slim indeed. Farm mision is easier, personally don't like Radio Tower.

Mravac Kid wrote:
Raif, get it if you can. It's a lot of fun, especially when you get the chance to use the SAW >:)

No, the Soviet version is a fun weapon. Far more accurate for some reason, even with the non-familiarity penalty. Though if what I've heard is right, we'll be able to gather SF badges which will give us bonusses with foreign weaponry pretty soon. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:25 pm 
IS_Wolf wrote:
Don't be so sure, firing range can be a real pain. My personal best was 38 out of 40, but my comp crashed and I never got the chance to upload it. Took me awhile to get the 36 minimum for sniperschool. And hitting the targets with both the M24 and M82 is definitely a challenge. :)

I got 35 on my third try, but I can't seem to connect to the server at all (and they have no information on what ports they use that I can find), so I've lost interest. It said it "timed out" but it only tried to connect for about a half second.

Another fun bug: I have no forward key I'm on dvorak and assigned the key to comma (where the W key usually is). All the other reassigned keys work fine, but I can't walk forward.

For a game funded by the military, it should be a little more solid. ;) At the very least it should have no bugs that make the game unplayable.

Quote:
M16A2 firing range has you firing 20 shots standing, and 20 prone. Getting 20/20 while prone is easy. It's the standing bit which is a pain, due to gunsway.

Take very careful aim and zoom in. The gun sway is predictable, so you can compensate.

Quote:
(Plus hit detection seems off sometimes, I've tested it offline and even with a Sopmod with scope, hitting a target dead center, didn't make it tip over)

I noticed that, but chalked it up to a wider deviance in trajectories (a little randomization).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:19 pm 
Raif wrote:
IS_Wolf wrote:

I got 35 on my third try, but I can't seem to connect to the server at all (and they have no information on what ports they use that I can find), so I've lost interest. It said it "timed out" but it only tried to connect for about a half second.

Another fun bug: I have no forward key I'm on dvorak and assigned the key to comma (where the W key usually is). All the other reassigned keys work fine, but I can't walk forward.

For a game funded by the military, it should be a little more solid. ;) At the very least it should have no bugs that make the game unplayable.

Sounds like your firewall might be causing the prob.

Q: What ports need to be open on a firewall to run the game?
A: UDP ports 1716 for the game, 1717 for the gamequery, 1718 for master server query, 8777 for standard UT query, 27900 for GameSpy and TCP 20045 for Auth server.

If that doesn't help, then try the support forums they should be able to help you figure out what is going wrong.

As for the forward bit, check your defuser.txt file in your system folder
Remapping keys shouldn't be that much of an issue. Though I wonder if it being a dvorak has anything to do with it. Again, something for the support forum guys.

Did forgot one thing. AAO is in perpetual beta, because they keep cobbling on new things. Some bugs are to be expected, they tend to get eliminated in the following update though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:25 am 
I let 'em all through, no good. Ah well. ;)

Manually setting "Comma=MoveForward" in User.ini solved the movement problem, though.