The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gameboy Games
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:52 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

OK, so I finally joined the handheld gaming movement. I got my hands on a Gameboy classic. Yeah, it's the really old boxy one with B&W screen and nothing fancy...

Anyways. It's got Tetris, which is one of my alltime favorites, but I'm unsure of what other games to look for. One that I'll definitely be picking up as soon as I can find it is Kirby's Dreamland.

Otherwise, I have no idea.

I like puzzle games a lot. I like games with a storyline. I like RPG type games. I like platform games if there's something unique about them (like Kirby).

Suggestions? Advice? Remember, I can't run GBA or GBC games on this thing. Classic gaming only. :)

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:07 pm 
Duuuuuude, I so found my place at the Zoo. :D

As far as classics go, the ones for the original Game Boy (including the Pocket) that I clearly remember are Super Mario Land, Xevious, (shoot me) the Pokemon series, and (I can't remember if this is for GBC or not, sorry) Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages.

Let me look through the library (yes, I have that many games) and I'll get back to you with more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:26 pm 
The Final Fantasy Legend series is most definitely worth a glance, if you can find them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:16 pm 

Bought a couple cheap ones today... "BrainBender", a puzzle game involving bouncing a laser beam to pop all the bubbles and then hit the target... And "Heiankyo Alien", an action-puzzle where you have to block in aliens and get them into the traps... $3 each at GameStop.

I still want Kirby's Dreamland and Kirby's Dreamland 2, but those were $16.99 and $19.99 at GameStop today.

They had "The Humans" which I wanted desperately, but the cartridge was borked. I even went so far as to get out my digital camera cleaning kit to clean the contacts on it. *SIGH* I played that game once on the PC when it was fairly new, and then I upgraded to a 486 and haven't been able to play it since. Apparently the GB version is very similar to the PC version. I'm never gonna get to play that game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:45 pm 
Definently go with anything Zelda you can get your hands on. They are all excelent. Also, I am not sure an origonal GB would run it, but you need to get the Dragon Warrior games they have released for the GB. Those things are addicting.

People may hit me for saying this, but you may want to check out the origonal Pokemon (Red and Blue). Despite what the game escalated into later, they are actually quite entertaining.

Last edited by DarthBaboon on Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:46 pm 
Oh, and since no one else has seemed to mention it, of course check out the Mario games. I can't really think of any bad ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:07 pm 
On the Gameboy, I played (and liked) Mario in "6 Golden Coins" (I forgot what's the real name), Bionic Commando, Spiderman, and one of the Dreamlands. And, of course, Tetris, though it's way too easy - I got to some 95000 before deciding that spending an hour or so on doing the same thing is somewhat unproductive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:37 am 

Okay, so I found some DVDs in my collection that I didn't particularly care for... Went to a local game store and traded them for a GBC, Prince of Persia, and Super Mario Bros Deluxe.

The SMB DX is awesome! It's a pixel-perfect port of SMB from NES, the game that gave me severe Nintendo thumb when I was younger. Plus there's lots and lots of extras. Sweet cartridge.

Prince of Persia plays just like it did on the PC, and it's even colorized on the GBC even though it works on the GB Classic.

Yay me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:30 pm 
Hmm... platform games w/ something unique.

Metroid, anyone?

I also recommend getting the pokemon series (good despite the kiddy hype), Harvest Moon (Farming on the go has never more fun) and the Game and Watch galleries.