The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:16 pm 
hey all, this is my first post in this section of the board, and this is a warning. unless you want to hear me rant about something that has been pissing me off for years: dont read any farther.

Ok, i was linked to the papermate site, and saw that they had a contest giving away an Ipod mini every day for x amount of time. Because i live in quebec i have to check the rules for these contests because more often than not quebecers are excluded from these contests. Lo and behold, we are excluded. I am a canadian citizen. I live in this country and have for all my life. The contest rules say it is open to all american and canadian citizens (not quebec tho). I can understand that canada has different import laws than the states, and i would understand it not being open to ALL of canada. but why is quebec the only one not allowed? what did i do wrong to not have the chance to win an Ipod or a dvd box set (im looking at you Space channel).

ok, rants out of the way, lets open the floor to comments and insults ( i know there are quebec bashers out here, so bring it on) as well as informed opinion as to why this is happening. any one care to comment on why a huge part of canada is being discriminated against?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:54 am 
Well, aside from being an unabashed Quebec basher...

Among other things, you have seperate immigration and import laws than the rest of Canada, one 'benefit' of being semi-independent.

Short of that, it's just easier for many of these companies not to deal with the complications presented by the different rules of Quebec rather than make the possibly minor or non-existant alterations necessary to accommodate them. In short, somebody needs to be paid a non-trivial sum to keep up with a third set of laws, regulations, customs, and culture, even when there isn't very much overall difference. Why bother? ;)

At least, that's my hypothesis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:51 am 
good theory, but the problem is there are no different import laws for quebec. everything coming into quebec passes thru Canada Customs. this i know, personal experience and 6 months of my life. not to mention not even getting what i ordered.. but i digress. any other ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:30 am 
Janitor
Janitor

I don't know. As an American who lives in Hawaii, the same thing gets on my nerves too.

All the time, the ads read, *blah blah blah great deal free stuff OFFER NOT VALID IN ALASKA, PUERTO RICO, AND HAWAII*

Call em up, ask what's up with that?

"It costs more to ship the item to Hawaii".

...right. Little bastards. What about Alaska then, it's only REALLY the biggest state in the Union.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:18 pm 
My guess is there's some dumb Quebec law requiring all contests to be held in French. So it's either discriminate against Quebec by excluding them from the contest, or discriminate against the rest of North America by having the contest in a language they can't understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:36 pm 
BeinSane wrote:
My guess is there's some dumb Quebec law requiring all contests to be held in French. So it's either discriminate against Quebec by excluding them from the contest, or discriminate against the rest of North America by having the contest in a language they can't understand.

Now thats plausible. yeah, a little research on my part, coupled with a friend that works at an english television station here in montreal tells me that they do exclude quebec because of language. Because the company or station or whatever that is running the contest in question has to post all the rules and such in and french and offer a french version of the site for french qubecers.

to this i say: screw em. if they cant read it, they wont enter anyway, so why do i have to be descriminated againts because of where i live?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:48 pm 
chiphead wrote:
why do i have to be descriminated againts because of where i live?

That would be because of the governmental folks <strike>ruin</strike>running your province. It's the age-old dilemma of democracy, really. If you don't like what your representatives are doing, vote 'em out, kill 'em, or move away.

Just be aware that the politics aren't much better anywhere else either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:31 pm 
we vote em out, and no matter who takes their place nothing changes... man, this sucks. i cant afford anything because they tax me into oblivion and they wont let me win anything either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:41 pm 
chiphead wrote:
i cant afford anything because they tax me into oblivion and they wont let me win anything either.

Now you understand the goal. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:33 am 
Ishidan wrote:
I don't know. As an American who lives in Hawaii, the same thing gets on my nerves too.

All the time, the ads read, *blah blah blah great deal free stuff OFFER NOT VALID IN ALASKA, PUERTO RICO, AND HAWAII*

Call em up, ask what's up with that?

"It costs more to ship the item to Hawaii".

...right. Little bastards. What about Alaska then, it's only REALLY the biggest state in the Union.

In terms of actual land area, yes. In terms of population or populated area, far from. And, like Hawaii and Puerto Rico, it's inaccessible by road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:24 pm 
From Disney:

Q: Why are residents of Quebec restricted from entering your online contest when it is open to residents of other parts of Canada?

A: This is due to strict laws in Quebec that make residents of that province ineligible to enter many of our online contests.
Quebec law requires that all promotional materials related to any such contest be presented in both English and French.

Unfortunately, this is not feasible for us. We hope that you understand.

From MuchMusic:

Q. I live in Quebec. Why can't I enter MuchMusic contests?
A. When we do contests in Quebec, we have to go through a separate body called the "Regis des Jeux et des Lotteries" before we can do ANYTHING. This involves weeks of applications, and justifications, and reports, and very often these contests are on very strict schedules. Even if we wanted to give away t-shirts in a contest, we have to do this. Often, the sponsor doesn't want to wait 4-6 weeks to get approval from this body. They're on their own deadlines. Honestly, often, there just isn't TIME. But there's good news! Our sister station, MusiquePlus, has cool contests and stuff for all of you itchin' to get involved - Check it out!

My advice, google for "Why can't Quebec enter contests?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:48 pm 
Guess I wasn't too far off. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:18 am 
quebec bureacracy at its best. gotta admit, when they screw us, they do it hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:31 pm 
And enthusiastically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:37 pm 
Raif wrote:
And enthusiastically.

do i detect a fellow working quebecer in the room?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:45 pm 
Nah, we just switched Raif with a new and improved quebecer...let's see if chip notices the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:56 pm 
chiphead wrote:

Consider me an observer of the folly. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:03 am 
Raif wrote:
chiphead wrote:

Consider me an observer of the folly. ;)

i just hope you are a good distance away. i wouldnt want to get any of our stupd on you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:10 pm 
Oh, I've got all kinds of stupid where I am, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:37 pm 
ok Raif, now i am curious. where are you that has a much stupid as quebec, but not in quebec? dont answer if you dont want, but i really am curious now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:16 pm 
The good old United States, chip.

Or, as you might note under my avatar: "Over there."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:46 pm 
over there is a perspective thing. over there can be germany for the view of someone in poland. or mexico from a texans point of view. im just curious. but youre right. you got plenty of your own stupid to deal with. mine seems pretty inconsiquential now actually..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:06 pm 
chiphead wrote:
over there is a perspective thing.

You're beginning to understand... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:44 pm 
noo... i dont think so. wait...! nope. still nothing.