Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:34 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

Raif wrote:
Also, thread necromancy is bad.

You know, I still haven't figured out exactly why everyone thinks this is so. Personally, I'd much rather have one thread about a topic instead of eleventy-seven.

Maybe I should dig through all the forums and merge all the threads about the same topics, just to piss people off. That'd be fun.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:17 am 
Intern
Intern

Thread necromancy is bad because no one who comes later on will bother to read through the topic, if it's humongous in size like the CPT and SaWG. New topics make discussions more compartmentalized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:30 pm 
Thread Necromancy is bad because it brings back an old topic that the current (at the time) forum members felt had been discussed sufficently. (if they hadn't thought that, then the thread would have had more replies) Then a new person comes along and has to add a two word response (often, ME TOO! but sometimes more verbosely) that (to use your word) has already been said eleventyseven times in said thread. Another thing: Sometimes the threadnecromcancy digs up threads so old that half of the original posters aren't there anymore, and the other half have changed viewpoints at somepoint or another. Someone reading said thread would get a wrong impression of the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:00 pm 
I dislike thread necromancy. If someone wants to post something from a past thread; post a new one and save the trouble. That's my short opinion on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:17 pm 
ok, since i was blamed for the thread necromancy, i guess i should answer to the charge. i am not fond of it either. for the most part its dead for good reasons and should stay dead. i was blamed for it under that spandex bicycle thread. my answer to that is: it was at the top of the list when i logged in, and it had a yellow marker telling me there was a new reply, i checked it out, and posted. i figured it was new, and i didnt bother checking the date. for that i apologize, and i hope to avoid it in future by being more observant. thank you. now can we let this rest in peace?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:31 pm 
No kidding... one flippant comment and everyone takes it seriously. Since when does anyone take me seriously? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:34 pm 
sorry man, i didnt know i wasnt supposed to. next time ill remember to laugh it off. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:20 am 
chiphead wrote:
sorry man, i didnt know i wasnt supposed to. next time ill remember to laugh it off. :D

Go ahead and do that. We all make mistakes. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:06 am 
Vorpal Bunny Slipper
Vorpal Bunny Slipper

Raif wrote:
No kidding... one flippant comment and everyone takes it seriously. Since when does anyone take me seriously? :P

PUT DOWN THE GUN, MAN

NO ONE NEEDS TO GET HURT

Mit Beton gießt du es aus, das Fundament vom Knochenhaus.
Scharr, scharr, verscharr das Gebein, da ist noch Platz, da paßt noch wer rein.
Hier tobte sich der Teufel aus, unten im Keller im Knochenhaus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:32 am 
That's not a gun. It's a twig.

*points it at jer and pulls the "trigger".* :machinegun:

Uhh... woops. Guess you were right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:18 am 
I've got this thread bookmarked and in about eight months I'll post my position on thread necromancy...

Just kidding. (Please don't thwack me...yet.)

If one doesn't like thread necromancy just don't post in the necromanced threads.

At that point (if thread necromancy is a universally despised thing) the necromanced thread will return to its well-deserved oblivion. Of course if the views against thread necromancy are uncommon then the necromanced thread can do OK and those who are against thread necromancy can ignore it.

*All* (at least 99.44%) posts can be described as trolling for responses (even if they're not an evil malicious troll) and if you don't feed the troll the troll will often wander away.

Personally I believe that the action of complaining about something in order to discourage it is manipulative and doomed to failure. (Of course that's a complaint; now you can thwack me for being a hypocrite.)

Hmm... Why not write a routine into the forum software that auto-locks a thread after three months of inactivity and makes a final post (backdated so it won't bring the thread to the front page) in the thread encouraging someone to post a new thread with a link to the old one if the subject/thread is still of interest?

Of course then we'd have complaints about the auto-locking of threads...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:20 am 
Hey, I ressurected the Not A Mecha thread...does that make me a bad person?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:48 am 
Undoubtedly.