The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T9 predictive text
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:34 am 
What do you think of T9 predictive text in cellphones? I am using it i think its cool, makes texting really easy for me. Anyone here using it too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:41 pm 
Never heard of it. Does it make the person behind the wheel on a cell phone pay any more attention to the road?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:06 am 
Energizer Bunny

Pi: T9 predictive text uses a simple pattern matching system to make it so you can dial a word like you would if it were given as a phone number; each sequence of digits acts as a pointer to a list of words that would match those digits.

For instance, to get the word "fires", you type in 34737, and it shows you a list of words that match that (fires, and firer), and then you choose the correct word from the list. Compare this to the normal method, where to get fires, you would type 333444777337777.

It is particularly useful in cases where there are consecutive letters on the same key (like abcess: 222377 or 2,22,222337777,7777) where to get the second letter you must wait a few moments between keypresses. On the other hand, a word not in the dictionary still requires more input.

The advantage of T9 is only meaningful if you do text messaging.

Vorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:12 am 
I believe most phone models has it. I guess T9 has helped me in ways especially if I am on a rush, it instantly predicts the word i am keying in. Very handy too.