The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:30 pm 
I'm trying to compile Ncurses under MSYS (latest "current" build, MinGW et cetera et cetera) on Windows 98 (because I want a minimalist MSNM client and the only ones I can find are for Unix). Problem is, I'm having trouble compiling Ncurses - when I attempt to do so, gcc throws its hands up in frustration during the "make" stage. I've included the text of the error below. Does anyone have any idea what piece of software the two missing .h files are from and whether the "has incomplete type" errors are purely a result of the missing headers/libraries, or possibly something else?
I've tried google (admittedly, not very thoroughly) and though I've found documents describing what the two .h files do and how to use them, I haven't found any documentation as to where to get them and what software they are a part of. Any hint whatsoever would be appreciated, no matter how obvious.

Code:
gcc -o make_hash.exe -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../ncurses -I. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../ncurses -I. -I. -I../include  -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED -DNDEBUG -O2 -DMAIN_PROGRAM ./tinfo/comp_hash.c 
In file included from ../ncurses/curses.priv.h:260,
                 from ./tinfo/comp_hash.c:40:
../include/term.h:133:19: sgtty.h: No such file or directory
../include/term.h:134:23: sys/ioctl.h: No such file or directory
In file included from ../ncurses/curses.priv.h:260,
                 from ./tinfo/comp_hash.c:40:
../include/term.h:699: error: field `Ottyb' has incomplete type
../include/term.h:700: error: field `Nttyb' has incomplete type
make[1]: *** [make_hash.exe] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Richard/ncurses-5.4/ncurses'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:43 pm 
The files in question are part of libc, the standard C library. This is usually glibc on Linux, and part of the standard OS on other Unixes. (Unices? Unixen?) Other things in libc are stdio.h, stdlib.h, etc.

I'm not really sure about how much of libc MinGW includes. Judging from the MinGW download page, there's something for it called pdcurses, which might include enough of ncurses so that the libc issue won't matter.

Of course, MinGW doesn't offer full Unix source-code compatibiliy. For that, there's Cygwin, although there may be licensing problems if the program in question isn't GPL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:45 am 
Ah, thank ye very much. I'll have to see about that pdcurses package, aye. I wasn't aware that that existed.