The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:36 pm 
Preferably G++, but I was so confused by the directions on the GNU Project site that I sort of gave up on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:16 pm 
Energizer Bunny

GCC apparently requires cygwin to install on Windows; that makes it a poor choice. Microsoft also releases its own compiler for free: Visual C++ Toolkit 2003.

Vorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:15 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Try MinGW. It's GCC, but without all the Cygwin crap.

[EDIT]
Ye gods and little legalese fishes! 8O
The EULA for Microsoft's Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 wrote:
You also agree not to permit further distribution of the Redistributables by your end users except you may permit further redistribution of the Redistributables by your distributors to your end-user customers if your distributors only distribute the Redistributables in conjunction with, and as part of, the Licensee Software and you and your distributors comply with all other terms of this EULA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:16 pm 
That seems very useful.

Although, I'm such a novice that I still don't know which files to download.

And I have no idea what that EULA is saying, but it doesn't seem good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:38 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Ok, so apparently the frakking morons have replaced the good old package with a web installer download. :roll:

Still, you could try it: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/MinGW-5.0.0.exe?download

You can also check out Dev-C++, which is a popular IDE that comes bundled with MinGW.
It has its little quirks though, so personally I juse use MinGW + SciTE. But to each his own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:12 pm 
Alright, that worked. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:16 pm 
Okay, now for another problem. The compiler is demanding a "newline at end of file," something my resource book doesn't seem to mention. What is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:26 am 
Energizer Bunny

It wants you to put a blank line at the end of the file. Some compilers get cranky if you don't put it.

Vorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:12 pm 
*Tries to imagine how this could possibly matter*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:12 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

AFAIK it's a precaution so you don't end up with funky results after the preprocessor has done its magic (like in the case of an #include).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:15 pm 
It is part of the spec for a text file. All must end with a trailing newline.

Windows is somewhat forgiving on the matter, where gcc and the like are pretty staunch on standards, even the crap that's pretty much inconsequential.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:26 pm 
Raif wrote:
It is part of the spec for a text file. All must end with a trailing newline.

Interesting. I don't remember ever reading anywhere that a standards group had actually gotten together and put out a spec for how to lay out a text file. Do you have a link to this spec?

The closest I would have considered would be the ASCII character set which serves as a translation table between 7-bit numbers and printed characters. AFAIK, everything else is up to implementation, and it is only by an urgent need to interoperate that any further congruency was forged.

You'd think that if somebody had actually written an all-encompassing spec on how a "text file" should be organized, they'd at the very least have a consistent character sequence to signify a newline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:52 pm 
There's no "spec" for a text file. Ending with a newline is just Unix tradition, so when you "cat" the file, the shell prompt shows up its own line instead of stuck to the end of the last line of the file, and when you "cat" two files together, the last line of the first file doesn't stick to the first line of the second file, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:34 am 
Call it ad hoc standard then. Point is it's enforced as a standard by some software. gcc is among it.

I suppose I did a very poor job of stating why gcc does so, but ah well. I stand corrected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:56 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

GCC enforces it because while there is no standard for text files, there is one<sup>*</sup> for C, and it explicitly specifies that non-empty source files should end with newlines. :)
I suspect that goes for C++ as well.

<sup>*</sup> several, actually. But they all require it, AFAIK.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:53 pm 
The General wrote:
Preferably G++, but I was so confused by the directions on the GNU Project site that I sort of gave up on it.

Don't touch the GNU stuff? I make this a personal policy. GNU software just is* but their documentation always seems to be written with the sole requirement that it be overly formal and confusing.

Instead, you might try http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html for an easy-to-install MinGW implementation with built-in compiler. It's G++, but without the hassle.

(* I mean this is a semi-Taoist sense. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm not saying it's good. It just IS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:01 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Uhm. That post makes very little sense. :)

"Hey, don't use MinGW! Use MinGW instead!" ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:45 pm 
gnolam wrote:
Uhm. That post makes very little sense. :)

"Hey, don't use MinGW! Use MinGW instead!" ;)

What I mean is:
Don't bother with the hassle normally associated with installing MinGW, instead try using this particular prepackaged version of it which includes a reasonably nice IDE and is much easier to install.

Wider point:
GNU software works but GNU documentation tends to be overly formal, complicated and crap. So what I'm reccommending is that you use versions of GNU software that have been put together with installation routines and documentation that are actually suitable for us mere mortals.