The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why Johnny Can't Code
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:26 am 
Intern
Intern

Science Fiction author David Brin on why BASIC still has a place in education. He and his 14 year old son bought a Commodore 64 off eBay after not being able to find any really simple BASIC for Macintosh or PC.

Math textbooks have BASIC examples in them? Didn't when I was in school in the 80s'! A simple language like BASIC would be an ideal learning tool for algebra and other math classes.

"I am a machine. I am a weapon of war. I am a destroyer of life in the service of life, the sword and shield of my human creators." Bolo Invincibilus, Mark XXIII, Model B (Experimental) 0075-NKE "Nike".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:34 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

IMO, the limited yet powerful nature of the C64 architecture makes it great for two things: learning how to code efficiently, and (more importantly) learning how to solve tricky problems with a limited toolset. However, most BASICs (including Commodore BASIC) really should be avoided. The learning curve for BASIC programming is not that much better than for anything else, and the coding habits it teaches are just horrible. If you want to start coding for the C64, ditch BASIC and go all-out 6502. It's both more educational and less painful.

If I wanted to teach kids to program I would expose them to something like Python (with pygame!) or Squeak...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:13 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I concur. While I currently don't hve any kids to teach (my cousins show depressingly little interest, except for the one who's being mangled at school by Java and a really horrible process) I have been playing around with pygame a little just in case.

I even wrote a brief guide to teaching yourself inspired by said cousin, although I don't think he ever looked at tit. A few other people have, though.

The rise of the PC, with an OS that was not programmable, severly limited many people's chances to learn. I know I was stuck for several years until I managed to get my hands on a bootleg copy of Turbo Pascal. These days, with Linux becoming more widespread, hopefully the situation will improve somewhat. I don't think we'll ever see a single ubiquitous language again, though. This is sad, but not as sad as that single ubiquitious language being BASIC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:06 am 
Intern
Intern

The guy that wrote the 'Build' 3D game engine used in Duke Nukem 3D and around a dozen other titles started out with TI-BASIC on a 99-4/A Home Computer as his first computer.

Many versions of BASIC aren't very 'basic' at all. RapidQ could compile many different styles of BASIC code into an executable program file.

Ever see that fully functional 8-bit Nintendo emulator written completely in Microsoft's Quick BASIC? ('Course it requires a 1Ghz PC to run full speed, and was written when 300Mhz was the fastest PC available.)

BASIC ain't just line numbers and GOTO statements!

"I am a machine. I am a weapon of war. I am a destroyer of life in the service of life, the sword and shield of my human creators." Bolo Invincibilus, Mark XXIII, Model B (Experimental) 0075-NKE "Nike".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:10 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

bizzybody wrote:
BASIC ain't just line numbers and GOTO statements!

Indeed. However, I have yet to encounter an implementation that fully transcends its origins without becoming a completely different language. Qbasic is probably about the best BASIC has ever gotten, and that's rather difficult to get hold of, these days. Visual Basic is hardly BASIC any more and it's horrible in completely different directions. I'm a little out of date on BASICs these days, but I did quite a lot of research back in the days when my dad got his first XT and I was allowed to play with it.

I still have a soft spot for my old C64, though, and one of these days I'll fire it up again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:34 pm 
Nightstar Graveyard Daemon

jerith wrote:
Qbasic is probably about the best BASIC has ever gotten

Minor nitpick: the name you're looking for here is QuickBASIC, not QBasic. They were different, mainly in the sense that DevStudio's Professional and Academic versions were different.

They were the same language and sported the same TUI editor. QBasic came free with whatever version of DOS they were pushing at the time (4.2, I think?) and you had to launch QBasic and open a .BAS file with it.

QuickBASIC cost US$45, but ohh, blessed joy of joys, it came with a compiler.

I got my first programming job in QuickBASIC doing the computer animation for a movie called Nightmare at Noon. (HOLY SHIT! I'm in IMDb!)

Anyway, QuickBASIC fed my family for the first couple of years I was married.

Mmm... good times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:31 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Chalain wrote:
Minor nitpick: the name you're looking for here is QuickBASIC, not QBasic. They were different, mainly in the sense that DevStudio's Professional and Academic versions were different.

They were the same language and sported the same TUI editor. QBasic came free with whatever version of DOS they were pushing at the time (4.2, I think?) and you had to launch QBasic and open a .BAS file with it.

I was unaware of the distinction (I thought one was just a shorter name for the other) but it this case it's mostly moot. I was commenting more on the language than the toolchain and I only ever played with the free version.

Chalain wrote:
I got my first programming job in QuickBASIC doing the computer animation for a movie called Nightmare at Noon. (HOLY SHIT! I'm in IMDb!)

Interesting. I was an extra in (I think) this BBC Krakatoa movie but I'm not credited on IMDB. (Nor was I expecting to be -- I was 20% of a Dutch marching band.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:10 pm 
Logo is a better teaching language than BASIC, really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:44 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

gwalla wrote:
Logo is a better teaching language than BASIC, really.

I quite agree. I wouldn't teach anyone basic unless there really was no alternative. Back in high school we did half a year (or maybe a full year? I forget) of Logo. Since I had played with C64 logo for several years beforehand, I quickly grew bored and started pushing the limits of the language. My group's final project did stuff most people didn't know was possible, including the teacher.

Programming music one frequency at a time -- fun days, those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:10 am 
As I've said before, I think Python would be the language of choice these days; it is a modern mutliparadigm language, yet almost as simple to learn as Logo, and has an interpreter listener so you can write programs on the fly. The only disadvantage it has over some BASICs is that you can't save what you write at the listener directly; to write a program you would save, you need to use the editor. However, there are ways around this too.

I understand that Ruby would also make a good choice, though I don't know much about it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:19 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I probably wouldn't teach Ruby as a first language for many of the same reasons I wouldn't teach Perl. It's a great language, but messy. I'd also hesitate to introduce blocks (essentially lambdas) into an introductory course in an essentially imperative/OO language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:45 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

jerith wrote:
I even wrote a brief guide to teaching yourself inspired by said cousin, although I don't think he ever looked at tit. A few other people have, though.

I can't believe I didn't notice that <strike>Freudian slip</strike> typo until now. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:37 pm 
Intern
Intern

How about Squeak? That's had some quite recent updates.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:09 pm 
Intern
Intern

When I was in college in the late 80's studying Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, our math books had Fortran examples for many of the more complex numerical methods. Frankly they weren't very good examples.

Generally speaking, you can solve just about any problem in any language, but I wouldn't try writing a Fast Fourier Transform in COBOL.

That said, I agree that Python is a great first programming language. My first computer was a TRS-80 Model III with BASIC in ROM, but I ended up writing assembly code for speed. I did very much like the convenience of being able to single-step through the BASIC interpreter, though. Python is very easy to understand, can be used directly from the command line, and can be compiled for speed.

"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
Jack L. Chalker
"Magic is just another way of saying 'I don't know how it works.'"
Larry Niven
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
Florence Ambrose