The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:00 am 
Intern
Intern

I've done a lot of searching* but haven't found any open source or freeware BREW apps or games for cellphones.

Does it require some mega-money SDK to code for BREW, so anyone doing it has to charge for the apps just to try and make their money back for the SDK?

*Which is rather difficult since practically every article ever written on non-cellphone uses of Java includes the word "brew", and search engines are too brain dead to have a case sensitive option.

"I am a machine. I am a weapon of war. I am a destroyer of life in the service of life, the sword and shield of my human creators." Bolo Invincibilus, Mark XXIII, Model B (Experimental) 0075-NKE "Nike".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:33 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Did you check Wikipedia?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:33 pm 
Intern
Intern

Sooo, it looks like Qualcomm is trying the Nintendo business model- with much less success. (If it was working well, there would be thousands of programs by now.)

One thing for certain, that's completely squashed innovation in BREW apps that would come from an open system. It also relieves Qualcomm and cell service providers from having to write their own BREW software, or at least write any that's exceptionally good, because they've fenced off the sandbox with razor wire, put a money collector on the only gate into the playground, and a bouncer in the sandbox to toss out anyone they don't like the looks of after they've paid to play.

"I am a machine. I am a weapon of war. I am a destroyer of life in the service of life, the sword and shield of my human creators." Bolo Invincibilus, Mark XXIII, Model B (Experimental) 0075-NKE "Nike".