The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:57 am 
Intern
Intern

The project is to write a simple electronic signboard program that communicates via COM port to a 20 character x 2 line VFD POS display to use it as an electronic signboard.

If it does line numbers, that's a plus for me because all the programming I ever did years ago was with BASICs that had line numbers.

The POS display is an old EMAX model. I found a manual for it and some software, but that won't install because it's missing _setup.dll Fortunately the manual covers all of the simple command language for all the modes of the display.

Why BASIC? Because I've written programs in it and I can still remember some of it, so it should come back quickly once I get to work on this. Why line numbers? Because they work and I never had problems keeping track of where loops and branches went.

Edit: I found an InstallShield _setup.dll that worked with the software I'd found, so now I have OPOS (OLE for POS) .dll and .ocx files and docs for OPOS Application Programmer's Guide and OPOS Control Programmer's Guide. There's also a demo program that shows what all the pole display can do in each mode. (The quick and dirty thing would be to hex edit the text in the demo program to say what I want, but it just runs a single pass through then quits.)

"I am a machine. I am a weapon of war. I am a destroyer of life in the service of life, the sword and shield of my human creators." Bolo Invincibilus, Mark XXIII, Model B (Experimental) 0075-NKE "Nike".

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:55 am 
What are you going to do when the program is written? Leave a computer running all day just to run a low-res LED signboard? If basic is all you want to program in, I suggest you pick up a Basic Stamp kit. It is, iirc, a microcontroller which runs a basic interpreter.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:22 pm 
Intern
Intern

It'd use such little resources it could be run on a PC that's doing other things. If we have a registration computer that actually works in real life* this year, it could be run on that.

*In testing it was perfect, never crashed. When put into use at the convention it constantly crashed.

"I am a machine. I am a weapon of war. I am a destroyer of life in the service of life, the sword and shield of my human creators." Bolo Invincibilus, Mark XXIII, Model B (Experimental) 0075-NKE "Nike".