[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Nightstar Zoo • View topic - Worst book you own

The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Worst book you own
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:07 pm 

Post subject: Re: Worst book you own
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:12 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:26 pm 
Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card... I thoroughly loved Ender's Game, but I felt the series got weaker as it went on. And Ender's Shadow's retcon on a few things IMHO takes away from the original book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:57 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:15 pm 
Energizer Bunny

Donnerjack, by Roger Zelazny and Jane Lindeskold. Mostly Lindeskold. The syllables/word count is higher than most drug names. it doesn't help.

Vorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:42 am 
If a book still sucks for me by page 50, I stop reading. Ergo, I haven't read any truly horribly books. ;) However, I own several books that just look horrible. My grandmother had lame tastes, apparently.

Oooh, actually, my Greek textbook is pretty evil. I could make my enemies study it the same way I did... only they're not as linguistically overskilled as I am! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:28 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:07 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:45 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:18 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:19 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:39 am 
90 Trillion Fausts by Jack Chalker
I loved the concepts in The Demons at Rainbow Bridge and its sequel, The Run to Chaos Keep still managed to amuse me, but the final book was terribly executed. I'm starting to think that Chalker shouldn't be allowed to finish his own series. Simply put, he takes a great idea and f***s it all up.
Despite all that, I highly recommend the first book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:12 am 
Official Village Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:29 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:48 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:07 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:35 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:46 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:04 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:15 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:32 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:53 pm 
Either The Red Badge of Courage, Great Expectations, or Grapes of Wrath. I had to buy these books and read them in high school. The worst had to be GoW though. God was it boring...

I also had to read Common Sense by Thomas Paine for a US History course. That was terrrible. It was only 100 pages, and I still didn't finish it.

Oh! Or Uncle Tom's Cabin! I never got through that one either. It's amazing that I still got an 84 on the essay I had to write afterwards when I read about 100 of the 400+ pages.

Now that's not to say that everything I read in high school was terrible. I enjoyed The Scarlet Pimpernel and had a newfound respect for Shakespere by the end of grade 12 (Hamlet is my favourite play), but most of the stuff we had to read was just awful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:55 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:11 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:39 pm 
The Scarlet Letter was just as bad. The author was so busy beating the reader over the head with symbolism that he lost track of the story he was trying to write.

And something more modern that I found distastful was Mercedes Lackeys' Fire Rose. Normally I think she's an incredible author but this time she fell flat.

The Scarlet Pimpernel was a wonderful read and surprisingly well written and well paced. This one I do have to recomend everybody to read

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:28 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:59 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:34 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:48 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:12 pm