[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Nightstar Zoo • View topic - Establishing some ground rules.

The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:02 am 

Last edited by Maveric on Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:31 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:41 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:12 am 
Should fanfictions be restricted to Nightstar-related webcomics? Or is a fanfiction of just about anything okay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:32 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:42 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:07 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:34 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:03 pm 
I'd suggest a set of contracted labels to say exactly what kind of fiction the story is.

For instance, FF for FanFiction, PFF: Participation FanFiction, FFLe: FanFiction Lemon, OF: Original Fiction, OFLi: Original Fiction Lime.

Also labels for FF sources: CRFH: College Roomies From Hell; IW: It's Walky, etc.

See my FF Basket Case for an example.

I'd suggest a list of official labels, so that everybody uses the same contractions.

--FreeFlier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:59 pm 
Excellent idea Freeflier. Implimented.

Now to go change the title on my fic...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:18 am 
Janitor
Janitor

I have doubts that there are any labels or stickies that WILL stick. Here's my label theory;

<Comic or anime fic is based on> Title of fic.

<Original> Title of piece.

And then tags in [ ], such as [Lemon] etc...

And that's enough for me.

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:48 am 
Does anyone have a list of what all the tags mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:12 am 
Yup

Last edited by Maveric on Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:35 am 
Thanks

Trying to taste the difference 'tween the lemons and limes
The pain and the pleasure and the church bells softly chime

XTC, Senses Working Overtime

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:15 am 
You seem to specify fiction and fanart, but I was wondering if maybe other creative stuff could be posted?...such as poetry or such...If not, that's okay, I'll just try to get a poetry forum or some such made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:48 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Don't mind poetry. It's all good.

But here's something that everyone should keep in mind; you post Original material on this forum, it becomes public domain. If you don't know what this means, look it up. In other words, if you want to post it, fine, but it's at your own risk and don't bitch about what might get done with it.

You've been warned. 'Nuff said.

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:55 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:14 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:02 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Guys, I have a degree in Creative Writing from BGSU, technically, all three of us are right. See, this is how it works. Copyright is established when the work is created, but if said work is distributed on an open medium where there is no said retention of copyright, then the medium is declared public. Most standard net TOS's contain a little something that says that you guys retain the rights to the name NightStar and the site, blahblahblah. That's fine. But most TOS's ALSO go on to say that YOU get the rights to anything published on your site, which means things that are posted.

This is the reason that more original fiction / poetry whatever doesn't spread on the net. The authors don't want to give up copyright, and I agree with them. I don't either. Because, there's nothing to say that someone can't come along and filch whatever you've done for their own nefarious gain. And, once public, there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

So, unless retention of copyright is somewhere in NightStar's TOS (not that I remember reading one, but that was a LONG time ago), then the Zoo is public domain. Willis posts through Keen, which I would imagine have quite a healthy section about copyright and retention. And, if they don't, it would be quite shocking to me.

In conclusion, Originals can be posted here, but "watch your ass" is the name of the game. I won't be posting originals here, just fanfiction. And, if I feel like torturing anyone, fanart. :wink:

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:30 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:38 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:40 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Father of IW! Fanfiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:39 pm 
I know I've read some things on fictionpress that had a blurb on the bottom of the page saying the content was copyright of the author. There isn't one on fanfiction.net, but that makes sense since we're using copywritten material for inspiration.