[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Nightstar Zoo • View topic - Truly Favorite Authors

The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Truly Favorite Authors
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:23 pm 
What is your favorite author? I mean the kind of writer that just their name has you picking up the book to read because you know it will be good or going back and reading the same book again because it was just too good not to.

To start off mine is Patrica McKillip. Her worst is still worthwhile reading. Her best draws you back deeply into the story and you almost feel like you are completely part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:50 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:54 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:07 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:18 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:28 pm 
Official Village Idiot

Robert A. Heinlein (I've only been disappointed once)
Dave Barry
Isaac Asimov on *any* subject

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:25 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:09 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:45 am 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

Heinlein. Haven't been disappointed yet.

A few years ago, I'd have said Piers Anthony. But now that the publishers won't buy anything from him except more Xanth, and he's sick and tired of writing Xanth, his latest ten or so Xanth books really suck. Any of the first six or eight Xanth books, and any non-Xanth Anthony, is usually pretty good.

Douglas Adams. I've already read everything he's written, multiple times. Listened to the radio series, many times, watched the TV series, many times, played the video games, many times. Including Bureaucracy. Would Mary Poppins please pick up the White Courtesy Phone?

David Weber is quickly becoming one of my new favorites. I loved the Honor Harrington series, and I'm eagerly devouring the March Upcountry series he co-wrote with John Ringo.

OK, I find myself rambling a bit while I write this, so here goes...

The gent who runs my favorite used bookstore in town recommends anything by Philip K Dick, anything by Harlan Ellison, anything by A.E. Van Vogt... Last time I went in there, I got off easy. Came out with a copy of Heinlein's "Door Into Summer" (Read it, want my own copy), Douglas Adams/Terry Jones "Starship Titanic" (Ditto), HP Lovecraft "The Shadow Over Innsmouth and Other Stories of Horror", the June '03 issue of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine, and the January '00 issue of Analog. Usually I end up hauling more paper home. Couple visits ago, I found myself leaving with no fewer than SEVENTEEN books. Bleh. 'Course, it's my favorite bookstore because those seventeen books cost me a whole $8... He sells most of his paperbacks for 5/$1 and most of his hardbacks 3/$1... His priced stuff is usually $0.50 to $1.50 each. Although he's soon going to have a SIGNED COPY of "Stranger in a Strange Land", he's probably going to price it between $300 and $500. He'll be bringing a *FULL SET* of EE Doc Smith (all the books, all the posters, everything) to Fandemonium to sell in the dealer's room, so if you're a Smith fan, you might want to show up.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:30 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:03 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:18 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:05 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:12 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:20 am 
Several that have already been mentioned plus Orson Scott Card. Some of his stuff is more re-readable than others, but it is all worth reading at least once.

Ender's Game - probably 20 times or more.
Lost Boys - once, it is just too emotionally draining. I keep thining about picking it up because it is so good, but I'm afraid of the emotion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:16 pm 
Knight of Daisies, Tulip Slayer

Okay, I was waiting for a friend at the grocery store last night, and wandered over to look at the books. I usually find absolutely NOTHING of interest there, but you never know, you know? :)

Anyway, there on the shelf, was a shiny new copy of "Callahan's Con" by Spider Robinson.

I immediately and without thinking about it grabbed the book and dropped it into my cart.

Everything I've read from Spider has been absolutely wonderful and fun. I own the vast majority of his books, and am always on the lookout for new ones. Spider is as pleasant to read as Heinlein. And Spider's not dead yet, so we'll get more works out of him!

Oh, yeah, and he's turned me on to some truly terrific music.

Nampa Civic Center - Nampa, Idaho (Only 20 minutes from the airport!)
(Idaho: It ain't just potatoes anymore.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:42 pm 
Terry Pratchett, of course. And not just for the humor - he tells a story wonderfully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:30 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:10 pm 
For fiction, Douglas Adams (no surprise there, eh?)

Non-fiction - I love Bill Bryson's travel books. I must have half of In A Sunburned Country memorized. Just got A Short History of Nearly Everything, but haven't had a chance to read it yet, having recently developed something of a social life and started playing golf again.

And for both fiction and non-fiction from the same author, I'll just say one word: Asimov.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:10 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:39 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:43 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:36 am 
Official Village Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:53 am 
I'm Probally going to have to go with Heilein. I've almost managed to wear my copy of Starship Troopers out entirely. On the other hand there is always Neil Gaiman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:06 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:16 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:02 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:13 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:07 am 
Official Village Idiot