[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Nightstar Zoo • View topic - The ultimate operating system?

The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:26 pm 
The Linux Desktop Distribution of the Future.

The problems he points out apply to every OS, not just Linux.

When he talks about application installation and the desktop he is spot on.

Whatever the actual OS filesystem is it should be hidden from the desktop user. If the OS drops all its system files into a randomly generated structure of unpronounceable subdirectories that's just fine as long as the desktop user never has to see it.

Ultimately the desktop user should *never* be forced to muck around in system files for any reason. Windows, every Linux distribution I've ever tried, and OSX (I've been messing with a Mac Mini for a few weeks now) arn't there yet.

Gimmie my applications, my documents, and let me connect easily to peripherals and network resources and I'm happy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:02 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:20 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:44 pm 
Intern
Intern

Fortunately for me, I'm a hardened Windows 98 user.

I think Linux as a system for ordinary folks is a bad idea. And it irritates people who knwo a bit about computers, too.

Here's some random opinions and ramblings of mine on Linux:

- "Where the Hell are the .exe files?!?" Despite continued exposure to Linux at school, I'm at a loss to locate them. The closest I was able to find were .rpm files that actually do something productive when clicked. All else are shortcut-like icons, I don't where they point to, though.

- I just want to meet the person who came up with the naming scheme for folders in Linux. Hell, even Microsoft realized that capitalization of some of the letters is aesthetically more pleasing than cryptic stuff like 'bin' ("What bin? Is this the Trash directory?"). Badbadbadbad. And what's the point of adding 'hd' in front of drive letters? I can figure it out whether it's a hard drive! And if I can't, would I care?

- The console should be linked with a name like 'Don't Touch' or 'Danger'. What genius thinks typing in commands is better than clicking stuff? Commands I must memorize, too. Another thing is that some stuff can only be ran from the console -- what gives? Seriously! Why do installed applications seemingly integrate themselves into the system, make themselves their own console commands?

- Why do I have to watch all that ASCII crap shuffle on the screen when I turn the computer on? It's not like I need to read it if it all starts correctly, anyway. See, I wouldn't mind error reports, but why should I care for every bit of useless info the system can dump on the default output? Can't it give me a line like, 'Everything OK. Starting OS.' and be done with it?

- It's slooooooooooooooooow. And eats a lot, too. What does it need all that RAM and processing power for? I wouldn't even mention the GUI being slow, you see, graphical interfaces tend to be like that. The problem is that the console itself has visible typing slowdown. What gives?

- The games on some distibutions are cool. Frozen Bubble!

- It needs a special partition to run 'smoothly'. Exactly, how many normies can actually operate fdisk? One in a thousand? How many knwo what a partition is? Not a lot more, methinks.

- Linux is not any more stable than Windows. I managed to crash it a dozen times. It all depends on the user -- if the user knwos how to handle a system, it won't crash.

- When I push the 'Reset' button Linux frequently damages itself somehow. I don't knwo how. It just displays error messages, something pertaining system damage or disk problems. What kind of effing system doesn't tolerate a hard reset? Hard resetting is not a hobby, it's a way of life, for God's sake!

- Mount? Unmount? What is that for? Can't the system just assume that if it's plugged in then it's mounted? Sheesh.

Now, before you take the above as a personl insult, don't. I hate Linux, not its users. I still think you lot are a coupla beans short of a full bean bag, but no, I don't hate you.

Thanks for reading!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:20 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:53 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:50 am 
Intern
Intern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:38 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:05 am 
Intern
Intern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:26 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:10 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:09 pm 
Intern
Intern

Last edited by AnnoDomini on Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:19 pm 

Last edited by Drooling Iguana on Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:20 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:28 pm 
Intern
Intern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:54 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:30 pm 

Last edited by Schol-R-LEA on Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:00 am 
Intern
Intern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:40 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:21 am 
Intern
Intern

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:51 pm 

Last edited by MineFelinePossesseth on Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:04 pm 

Last edited by MineFelinePossesseth on Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:10 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:44 pm 
Intern
Intern

Two things:
1. Why is this thread in here, rather than where it was originally posted? I'm almost certain it was somewhere else, like the Schlock Mercenary subforum.
2. Jesus Tepet Christ. Did I really write all this crap?

I wrote this in the last summer before going off to study Computer Science. I type these words from a Debian 5, which has become my OS of choice.

Studies really change people. Or perhaps - time changes people.