Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:26 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

So glad to see Landon made it through :D

A very good maxim indeed.

Poor Sorlie, if she isn't careful she might get write-in voted for Grand Leader/whatever passes for the position. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:49 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

And somebody please tell me why the JSC considers those things safe? They either don't really work, explode, or get hacked into something very terrifying.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:56 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Hacking them is apparently highly difficult. It's within reach of UNS black ops and the manufacturer, but apparently not most people.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:46 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

It's essentially software security. This seems risky because we see them hacked so often - but you have to remember that it literally takes mil-spec nanobots to do so.

It's the same story as with Schlock and the orbital ring of doom, or the annie plant under the city. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun (or bomb). They're potentially dangerous, but it takes extraordinary resources to use them as weapons, which doesn't happen when Earth isn't fighting off a surprise attack from a powerful alien civilization.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:24 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Landon really needs a big cigar to be chomping on in that image....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:24 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Arancaytar wrote:
It's essentially software security. This seems risky because we see them hacked so often - but you have to remember that it literally takes mil-spec nanobots to do so.

While it is true that almost every time we've seen a Tater it was a hack*... I don't think 'often' is the correct term.

* Somewhen in the far future Ron White is rolling in his grave.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:16 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

It takes more than just the mil-spec nanobots to hack the taters! Mako required a suite of different software keys and manufacturers tools to hack her stock tater. It's not just a switch to be flipped, but an intrinsic part of the device.

I think the difference we're seeing here is that all the suborned troops had taters that were ALREADY compromised; the entire suite of restrictions on the devices I expect had to be gutted down to, at most, the surface features that JSC officers might run into in their day to day operations that might blow their cover in the brief window before they were mind-hacked. Having a device that's intrinsically designed to fail and call home at the first sign of tampering or misuse seems like something that'd get in the way of their plans, and a device that's got security features like that but which can be disabled with a switch seems like it'd be a very impressive technical achievement. Since they're going to go loud very shortly, why not just keep it simple and equip their soon to be army with completely unrestricted devices?

The infectious taters might, therefore, be extremely EASY to suborn and convert into munitions, since they wouldn't have any of the software or hardware lockdowns that might prevent brute force attempts to suborn and repurpose the hardware.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:18 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Arancaytar wrote:

While it is true that almost every time we've seen a Tater it was a hack*... I don't think 'often' is the correct term.

The obvious reason for this is that if the taters weren't hacked here, we would have no reason to see them in the context of the story.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:27 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

starstriker1 wrote:

I think the difference we're seeing here is that all the suborned troops had taters that were ALREADY compromised;....Since they're going to go loud very shortly, why not just keep it simple and equip their soon to be army with completely unrestricted devices?

The infectious taters might, therefore, be extremely EASY to suborn and convert into munitions, since they wouldn't have any of the software or hardware lockdowns that might prevent brute force attempts to suborn and repurpose the hardware.

That makes sense, considering all issued Taters were swapped out shortly before those JSC troops were suborned in the first place. Not only were the new Taters avenues of infection for the suborning nanites that did the brain-hacking, but they were also most likely issued with all safety and non-lethal features disabled by the someone (or most likely several someones) at the JSC armory involved in the overall plot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:11 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Maybe even earlier up the chain! Whoever suborned the JSC controlled their supplier, Urtheep, so I'd say it's likely that the replacement taters NEVER had the safety features for the armoury to remove; the armoury's job would just be to make sure that their suddenly unsafe weapons passed muster.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:40 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

"Feed me another tater?"

"You want fries with that?" :drinking:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:00 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

And apparently there's a Schlock Mercenary fan on Red's field in today's The Whiteboard... who also happens to be a koala.

(Monday strip, in case someone follows the link after the Wed TWB update. TWB has no "current strip" permanent URL.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:55 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Nohbody wrote:
And apparently there's a Schlock Mercenary fan on Red's field in today's The Whiteboard... who also happens to be a koala.

(Monday strip, in case someone follows the link after the Wed TWB update. TWB has no "current strip" permanent URL.)

Well sure. It's pretty obvious that Doc's been moonlighting with the JSC for a long time. How else do you think those taters got *ahem* upgraded to drones?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:29 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Remember that the nanites that hacked the newly-issued Taters resembled ones used by the manufacturer, who would obviously have a very good idea of how to bypass the security measures.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:58 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

ChowGuy wrote:
Nohbody wrote:

Well sure. It's pretty obvious that Doc's been moonlighting with the JSC for a long time. How else do you think those taters got *ahem* upgraded to drones?

Texas checking in... Yup, I'm a Doc fan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:02 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Nighthawke wrote:

So is Howard.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:54 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

OK Dangit, Ya had to show me that. Now I'm gonna have to bribe someone to make one for me.
And I KNOW it's gonna be expensive, cause Too Cool !
It's too big to print in my new 3D Printer even with my 8" build cube...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:43 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Ramjet wrote:
OK Dangit, Ya had to show me that. Now I'm gonna have to bribe someone to make one for me.

Why not make a smaller one for a keychain while you're hunting for someone to make the full scale? :P

A Pocket Schlock Weapon if you will. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:15 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Ramjet wrote:

You could make an AP-229 or 130 though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:48 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

ChowGuy wrote:
Nighthawke wrote:

So is Howard.

Now I want to build one in a 3D modeller... I have some nice BFGs for my 3D people, but this would really put the cherry on top.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:49 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.
Definitely the 229. The 130 is a decent first attempt, but the 229 is where Strohl started hitting their stride on the AP series.

Now armed with the Nutty Nuclear Particle Accelerator, which has... implications. Now with further implications! Manual's kinda wordy, though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:22 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I have a 3D model program, really good one called Solidworks. Really wish I had a dimensioned 3 view here, but Hmmmm.....

I'm guess I can get reasonably close...

But Not today, It's my wedding anniversary and ya don't want to muck that up.
If ya do ya won't want to live.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:37 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Nohbody wrote:

Apologies up front for the necropost; I think this info goes better in the old thread than it would in a new one.

The Whiteboard updated their cast page, and it now includes a character name and brief bio of our webcomic-reading cameo-koala. Here's what we now know of him:

• Pete (Koala, Phascolarctos cinereus)
  • Full name: As-yet unpublished.
  • The comic-book guy. Reads way too many of them, plus a bunch of webcomics.
  • Favorite webcomic: That paintball one, about those guys in Alaska. That or Schlock Mercenary.
  • Favorite phrase: "So I read a lot of comics."
  • Favorite food: Cheetos and Code Red.
  • Previously unpublished Fact: Named his paintball gun Potentially Deranged

Brightened my day, thought I'd share :)