The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:44 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

A double-sized serving even.

Of course, if Elf had her desired playout, she would be alone, and after her "death", she and her husband would be in time-sync again.

Honor Guard: whose "honor"? :-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:21 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

You know I like the portrayal of the Upplechans that's being laid out. Sure these guys seem pretty despicable, but it's also being made clear that this is one specific faction of them which is messing everything up, and that if the actual main government were informed they would react if not more positively at least without killing everybody involved. (Because if the main government were willing to kill everyone involved these guys wouldn't have to cover their tracks.)

The toughs seems to have a real talent for running into, and subsequently destroying, rogue black ops organizations.

Also this is why your areas of operation should always be well lit. Sure it makes for a more foreboding atmosphere, but it makes things way too easy for enemy infiltrators.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:33 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
You know I like the portrayal of the Upplechans that's being laid out. Sure these guys seem pretty despicable, but it's also being made clear that this is one specific faction of them which is messing everything up, and that if the actual main government were informed they would react if not more positively at least without killing everybody involved. (Because if the main government were willing to kill everyone involved these guys wouldn't have to cover their tracks.)

The toughs seems to have a real talent for running into, and subsequently destroying, rogue black ops organizations.

Also this is why your areas of operation should always be well lit. Sure it makes for a more foreboding atmosphere, but it makes things way too easy for enemy infiltrators.

"Well lit" ops doesn't really have the same ring to it though

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:51 pm 
Intern
Intern

keybounce wrote:
He always did like the taste of kitteh.

Arcanestomper wrote:
I don't think it would have made a difference. Cats can see in the dark just fine, so this probably applies to the Uuplechan, too. Also, if the hidden room were brightly lit, the people in the other room would be able to see them. "One way" mirrors aren't actually one way, they work because the room on the side that is supposed to be reflected back into is brightly lit and the other side is dark.

Unfortunately, this means it is pitch black, and you are likely to be eaten by a Schlock.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:51 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Fishman wrote:
keybounce wrote:

Arcanestomper wrote:
I don't think it would have made a difference. Cats can see in the dark just fine, so this probably applies to the Uuplechan, too. Also, if the hidden room were brightly lit, the people in the other room would be able to see them. "One way" mirrors aren't actually one way, they work because the room on the side that is supposed to be reflected back into is brightly lit and the other side is dark.

Unfortunately, this means it is pitch black, and you are likely to be eaten by a Schlock.

Sure if you use a regular mirrors. But I'm sure the tech in this setting can get around that. If nothing else they can use a camera and a view screen.

I'm not saying a well lit room would have stopped Schlock, but I don't think he would have been able to take them out without even breaking the flow of the conversation if it hadn't been that dark.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:48 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Well, that makes Schlock even more terrifying. If need be, he can knock you out with a touch of perfectly-tailored chemicals.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:47 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Fishman wrote:

I have a very strong suspicion that Schlock didn't even eat them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:25 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

0z79 wrote:
Well, that makes Schlock even more terrifying. If need be, he can knock you out with a touch of perfectly-tailored chemicals.

The way I saw it, he was using two "hands". One to push the head/tap on the shoulder, one to pull the feet. Smack his face on the floor.

Maybe you're right though. I didn't see the "bubbles".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:24 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

evileeyore wrote:
Fishman wrote:

Aaaaaaand I'm wrong, but I'm okay with it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:37 pm 
Intern
Intern

Arcanestomper wrote:
Sure if you use a regular mirrors. But I'm sure the tech in this setting can get around that. If nothing else they can use a camera and a view screen.
They could, but you know, people don't always apply high-tech to solving EVERY problem. That only happens on Star Trek, where you can't even brush your teeth without a tachyon field widget. Sometimes you don't need to alter the gravitational constant of the universe just to hold papers on your desk, even if you can. Sometimes you just use a rock.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:40 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
Fishman wrote:

Well, he didn't eat all of them . . .

. . .

Do you suppose he can't eat just one?

/flrrd/

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:56 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Schlocks use of perfectly-tailored poison won't do him any favors when the two are later stuck trying to prove their innocence in front of those slightly less likely to kill them first. It makes things look premeditated, especially to those who willfully refuse to understand alien capabilities.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:49 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
Fishman wrote:

He used the minimum necessary available force to subdue without losing the advantage of surprise.
Until he figured out the poison, that was to quickly consume the enemies before they knew he was there.
Now, he can act upon his conscience, and use a less-lethal means of disabling his targets.

Besides, he's always been on the vindictive side where his friends are concerned. Those two in the interrogation booth monitoring room, and probably at least the second in command that sent her to die. I suspect the fourth MAY have been the CO, who was okay with giving the insurance industry what it wanted, but I suspect whoever it was openly admitted to intending to kill Elf to cover things up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:04 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Sean wrote:
Besides, he's always been on the vindictive side where his friends are concerned.

I did say I was okay with it. I'd be okay if he kept right on Upa-snacking. Except that wouldn't fit his change of personality, so yeah, clean kills followed by non-lethal once it has the means, I'm okay with that as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:17 pm 
Intern
Intern

sotanaht wrote:
Schlocks use of perfectly-tailored poison won't do him any favors when the two are later stuck trying to prove their innocence in front of those slightly less likely to kill them first. It makes things look premeditated, especially to those who willfully refuse to understand alien capabilities.

Assuming it was actually poison and that they're dead. It seems to me that if he were just going to kill them, he wouldn't have left them uneaten.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:36 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Fishman wrote:
sotanaht wrote:

Assuming it was actually poison and that they're dead. It seems to me that if he were just going to kill them, he wouldn't have left them uneaten.

The little bubbles above their heads are a convention that means that they are mentally affected, not dead. Really high or sick and asleep.