The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The future of this forum
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:58 pm 
Official, By Popular Demand

As many of you have noticed there was an upgrade to the server which prevented posting to the forums. You'll also have noticed that it took over a week for someone here to notice.

In that light we would urge all forums to move to another hosting site. While the zoo has been a backbone for Nightstar for many years, it has lately only been active by one community. This doesn't make sense to us to be able to keep this forum running long term.

We would like to terminate this forum. Tentatively, we would like to do this on August 1, 2019. If we need to we can extend it, but unless there is a compelling reason to do so this should give everyone plenty of time to copy content to another service.

Thank you for your understanding and be sure to visit us on irc.nightstar.net on #nightstar if you have any questions.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:36 am 
Carnie
Carnie

It took seven days because no one knew how to contact the admins, except me and I only post a few times a week at most. So one of our other mods pmed me at a different forum to see if I was suffering the PHP errors as well. Low and behold I was... then I had to remember where I'd hid the Facebook bookmark since just following a group in facebook is bloody useless (it doesn't show up anywhere in my facebook lists) and after a day of not finding the bookmark, I just did what I did last time the forum was down and googled Nightstar.

I was figuring on getting Syloq's email once the boards were working again, I know he doesn't post in here that much anymore.

I suppose someone should track down Mr. Tayler and see if he cares where the fanbase migrates to.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:31 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

The thing is, the mods could've fixed this a long time ago. The problemis that there is an overwhelming number of dead subforums that you have to scroll through to get to the schlock one, so me and everyone else just bookmarks this subforum and ignores everything else. there have been attempts to revive the other subforums, but they basically go ignored.

Like I've said years go: Move the Shlock mercenary subforum near the top of the list, and pare down the number of subforums near the top to general categories. That would encourage current members to actually view the main page once in a while and start posing and commenting in the other topics.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:37 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

A friend of mine who's a Schlock Mercenary fan is happy to have us move to his forums https://discussion.tekeli.li and can set up a sub-section. He doesn't support all these smilies, etc., but I'm quite happy about that.

I'll see if The Tayler Corporation is happy with this idea.

Last edited by Syloq on Thu May 16, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
URL's are being automatically parsed it doesn't work right.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:42 pm 
Official, By Popular Demand

We don't use the forums as an IRC network any more. So if you didn't know to go onto the IRC network to contact us, that's probably our fault for not making that clear.

The major problem with this forum is that schlock is the only one who uses it. And the zoo used to be something that was heavily used by many groups. Over the years that has went to only 1 forum, and a series of spammers. Also Howard doesn't care about this forum. It's been abundantly clear over the years.

You can hide forums. Thats been that way for long time, there's a feature to do it at the top of the category. But this goes back to our original issue. Lack of willingness to continue supporting this site.

We would be willing to do many things to help facilitate this move, but someone will need to make this effort. Please contact us on IRC to discuss it further. If you don't have an IRC client any more please use https://goo.gl/jiFytU or some other web based client.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:50 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

For what it's worth, I still get lots of

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead

when I'm trying to read pages, combined with empty posts (posts that have the user name, avatar, signature block, but no post text)

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:52 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Also, this is, as far as I know, the only place to report copy-editing errors (basically proof reader stuff)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:37 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Sandra Tayler is happy with this idea, so I think it's go.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:13 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Is the forum still borked?

Okay, it looks like it's temporarily unborked again. So.... does anyone have another idea besides the tekeli site? I already hate it...

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:11 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Does anyone else get the "Your message contains too few characters." error that wipes everything you just finished typing up?

That being said, we could take over a stagnate forum like treefort54.com/mies/index.php (the last bit lets you skip the toilet) by posing as new users then keep posting about the comic until they make a subforum.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:42 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

grahamf: "Does anyone else get the "Your message contains too few characters." error that wipes everything you just finished typing up?"

It happens any time you use tagging, which of course you have to do to properly quote someone...

And I'm just being grumpy over the tekeli site. I don't like it and I'm stamping my feet, but if we move there I'll probably eventually get over it.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:01 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

There's always the Reddit forum at www.reddit.com/r/SchlockMercenary. I started reading there when this forum first got borked, and I may stay, since I had a Reddit account anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:30 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

[quote="John Dallman"]A friend of mine who's a Schlock Mercenary fan is happy to have us move to his forumsmake_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, ' ', 'https://discussion.tekeli.li', '', ' class="postlink"') and can set up a sub-section.[/quote]

Oh no. It's Discourse. That's horrid forum software.

Please, no, just no.

When I attempted to bring up the many problems with Discourse at their official site, their response was basically "If you don't like it, don't use it". So I'm encouraging any other forum software OTHER THAN it.

It's that bad to users.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:32 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Is there a discord? I don't use Reddit, and when I asked there, my question was ignored. Likely because Reddit defaults to 'hot' and not 'new', and I couldn't see my post at all unless I was logged in. Reddit is friggin terrible.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:40 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

So is Discord. At least for anything other 'chat', which IMO is not conducive to a 'forum' feel.

At least with the Discourse board we can maintain discrete threads...

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:19 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Maybe, but at least it's something that isn't just terrible at everything.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:22 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

There is also the possibility to partner with another forum that is actually alive and is willing to adopt this group of [censored] forum posters.
Just need to find one that is willing to share space and moderation and wouldn't mind drawing in readers of another online comic.

Good idea? / bad idea?

The only comics I follow on a regular basis and where I frequent the forums
QC
Goblins

Most others use disgust er disqus and that is not conducive to a community.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:34 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Idea: Giant in the Playground.

They have a webcomic section, and they have lots of popular webcomic threads there.

Disadvantage: We get one thread instead of one per comic, unless we get special arrangements.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:50 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

keybounce: "Idea: Giant in the Playground.

Disadvantage: We get one thread instead of one per comic, unless we get special arrangements."

Also Rich Burlew is a censorius jackass and with extremely strict and sometimes stupid rules.

Circvs Maximvs is a very liberal place (as in "almost anything goes"), but I'm not sure the owner would appreciate the slight uptick in posters... heh, who am I kidding, he probably wouldn't notice. The difficulty there lies in getting a subforum set aside for the comics. I can ask him.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:09 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Ladies, gentlemen, and assorted others, Morrus (Russ Morrissey) the guy what owns Circvs Maximvs (and ENWorld) has greenlit our move over there if we want to go there.

CM is a bit of a 'wild west, roughneck' town, though the only family unfriendliness that occurs is salty language and stupid political opinions. It too is a slowly crumbling and dying board, though Russ keeps it alive as the pressure release for ENW, it's where people from ENW go when they can't remain civil anymore. CM as a community has a long, old culture, some of us have been friends since the '00s when the crew were on Nutkinland, though very few of the old guard remain anymore.

I think I'm one of the last, but the newcomers (the ones who joined when NTL diasporaed and ended up at CM) are good folks. Mostly. We've one or two bad apples, but that's what ignore lists are for.

Note, we aren't much into modding over there. I'm the only mod and my job is spamguard, not time-outing posters. Though, if as a group, we want modding in our comic subfora, we can have it. I've been given carte blanche to make this happen.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:46 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Sounds like a plan. as soon as we move in we should throw a kegger party.

...their sign up page is broken

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:16 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

grahamf: "...their sign up page is broken"

I'm trying to swing a promotion to admin over there... so clearly that'll the first thing I fix...

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:12 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

update:

seems registration has been outright disabled?
make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, '
', 'http://www.circvsmaximvs.com/forum/register.php', '', ' class="postlink"')

...the heck is wrong with urls here?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:00 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

graham: "seems registration has been outright disabled?"

Oooohhhh.... I'll bet that happened during the last really bad spammer rush and no one has flipped the switch back. I've alerted the proper authorities... which once the board owner is back from his con, might end up being me. Oh bother.

"...the heck is wrong with urls here?"

The php is still borked. it's fixed enough to allow posting, but not any sort of php coding, like bolding, italizing, quoting, urls...

Urls auto code themselves if you leave the "https" and the "://" but are fine if you put the "www.circvsmaximvs.com/forum/register.php".

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:01 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I suggested this in the poll, but I'll drop it here, too.
Since I, and probably many others, found Schlock Mercenary from reading the snippets of upcoming Baen books, or John Ringo's fanfic ("Troy Rising" series), it might make sense to see if the nice people at Baen would make room on that message board.

Only issue I see, if they would be willing, that is, is the site requires you to log in to see anything. That's a feature to let the audience say what they want, and see what they want, without whatever suddenly being "published".

I will say it's not AS vibrant as it used to be. Once upon a time, several Baen authors actively held court in their own sub-threads, including John Ringo, Wen Spencer, Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint, David Weber, etc., but most have fallen away and communicate with their fans via other channels. Mrs. Spencer, for instance, via Facebook and Patreon. Mr. Ringo through a series of homepages, one of which might still be working and under his control.

I'd say the two communities are compatible, and I suspect many people besides myself, who are, or were, here, are, or were, there too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:45 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Would it be possible to provide a database dump of the posts, for posterity?

(Also, hello again! Haven't been along in quite some time. Life struck, daily visits stopped being a habit, joined other forums, etc.)

My personal suggestion is Sufficient Velocity, as it's a Science Fiction/Fantasy forum with precedent for taking in other communities — notably, there's an active Alternate History group now. I don't speak for the administration there, but I'm sure that they'd be glad to take everyone.
make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, '
', 'https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/welcoming-new-communities-to-sufficient-velocity.42948/', '', ' class="postlink"')

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:45 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Still say we need a Discord, too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:52 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Alright, since SV is a no go... I've gotten Morrus to open the doors to us at circvsmaximvs.boards.net .

There is no subfora set specifically for us yet... but enrollment is open and their are no spammers. I've been prodding him to get the subfora set up and make me a mod so I can keep the Copy Editing thread clean, family friendly, and on point.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:45 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Gentlemen BEHOLD!

The subfora: circvsmaximvs.boards.net/board/7/schlock-mercenary

The Copy-Edit Only thread for Ms Tayler: circvsmaximvs.boards.net/thread/25/copy-editing
(if someone would be so kind as to link it to her, thank you)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:47 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

If someone wants to tell me how to back up this subforum, I'll be happy to... and then if in the future I have somewhere to host the archive, again, I'll be happy to.