The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:41 pm 
Malevolent God of the Schlockiverse

Whitehawke wrote:
Hang on, this is really interesting. And, I think, new information.
New to you, maybe. :-)
Quote:
(Incidentally, "fairly modern"? My impression (admittedly without digging through the archives and figuring out timelines) is that the teraport went OS and spawned the TAD system less than a year ago. How many generations of TAD system are there?)
Four.
Quote:
...didn't you say that it was based on hitting the teraport packets with a "grav pulse or coherent beam weapon"? Is it just these newer-model TAD systems that use the wormhole disruption technique?

The difference between a grav-pulse and the creation of wormholes is fairly academic. They're both aspects of the same effect -- distortion of the fabric of space. One's a ripple, the other a rip.
Quote:

Oh, another question--in the Schlockiverse, is gravity considered to propagate at c, or FTL?

FTL. Sadly, this runs contrary to the latest (admittedly disputed) hard science on the matter, but that won't stop me from plowing ahead with the Schlockiverse as it stands. :-)

--Howard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:59 pm 
Howard Tayler wrote:
Within the confines of the ship, it's very easy to spot and block an opening patch of nano-wormholes before the energy inherent in their disruption becomes so great as to be damaging. Naturally, this assumes fairly modern TAD gear, but that's the way it works. The net effect is that your rock will never launch.

I must have missed the original launch of this information, because it is news to me as well.

Howard Tayler wrote:
As for blocking teraports, it's done with the same wormhole-generating mechanism you use to teraport in the first place. Shields only block observation of and traversal through normal space. They don't shield against teraports, nor against observation of teraports. If we're in range, I could use my TAD system against your launchers and prevent anything from getting out, regardless of where it's actually headed.

--Howard

Hmm.... So the TAD systems can block outgoing tearaparts through shields?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:07 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

IIRC a Teraport still even at it's smallest took a signifigant fraction of a second, long enough for any decent computer to lock-on and activate TAD. And it has been implied and was never implied otherwise that TAD used the same level of gravitic-distortion as a Gravygun nor that it was immpossible to safely employ it safely on-board ship. In Quest for Second Sight we see an eye-tree go tera-splat right next to Hob and other than wearing some bark he seems none the worse for wear because of it. The reason that the terapedo pops-up on the Unioc bridge un-hindered is I think well explained in the footnotes where it mentions the Unioc captain only had enough TADs to set-up and cover the dome, not to enough to install one on each of his ships.