The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:52 pm 
I was browsing new comics and noticed that UComics.com offers a service for cartoonists to get greater exposure for their strips. I know you're on hiatus now, Steve, but this may be a way of finding a new audience for your large library of already completed strips. You could custom-select the strips from as far back as you like which you think show the best of Melonpool and put them up there for about $99 for the whole year.

Anyway, thought you might want to consider this as a way of broadening your audience beyond those who seek out new comics. I've got nothing in this, mind you (no financial interest), except wanting to see you get the audience you deserve.

http://www.comicssherpa.com/site/index

Orchid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:58 pm 
I think it conflicts with my Keenspot contract. Actually, that's not the biggest deal in the world, because liek the tides, my devotion to Keenspot comes and goes.

I was going to wait to anounce this, but the day after the comic ended I ended up outlining enough stories for at least one more TUM -- if not more. I'm still taking the hiatus, but I may end up bringing back the webcomic in early August.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:59 pm 
BTW, just wondering if anyone know any other webhost that hosts webcomics. I know these

Keenspace
Drunk Duck
Comic Sherpa (you'll have to pay, I guess to avoid crappy strips)
Keenspot if they like your strip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:02 pm 
Melonpool wrote:
I was going to wait to anounce this, but the day after the comic ended I ended up outlining enough stories for at least one more TUM -- if not more. I'm still taking the hiatus, but I may end up bringing back the webcomic in early August.

Steve

What did I tell you people?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:11 am 
Seriously. Did any of you REALLY think that Steve could EVER stop drawing this strip? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:14 am 
Melonpool wrote:

Steve

You know Steve, as much as I'd appreciate that, I'd also be a bit put off. That may seem a bit contradictory, but really, you are the essence of Melonpool, and I sincerely would not like to see that spirit of vigor and jubilance be further trodden on due to the heavy burden of a comic.

It was fairly obvious the strip had had, for the longest time, your hands and feet bound and was dragging you through the streets. And to only come back to that, at least so soon....it just seems unwise. Relax. Flex your creative muscles! Not to butt my nose in too deep, but it seems to me that Melonpool had become so routine, so very much a part of your life, that you lost that spark, that radiant passion of childhood innocence and intrigue that kindled Melonpool in the first place.

At least for this reader, I want to see you come back to life, Steve, not Melonpool. It'll always be there waiting for you, but really - Life's too short to waste on any one thing, and with your potential, the sky's the limit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:12 am 
Your thoughts are deep... Sadly, this is just a matter of Steve being too damn buggy to know how to relax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:00 am 
Scath could have a point there. Those strip stories won't evaporate in a year, and it does make sense to take time off for trying other projects and approaches. You ain't the Slave Of The Duck from Aladdin.*

* The version they refused to print, with the very naughty Aubrey Beardsley pictures.

Charles_Brubaker wrote:
BTW, just wondering if anyone know any other webhost that hosts webcomics. I know these

Keenspace
Drunk Duck
Keenspot if they like your strip

Purrsia hosts a few famous names. And there's Keenspot's big rival, the Modern Tales family of sites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:17 am 
Melonpool wrote:
I think it conflicts with my Keenspot contract. Actually, that's not the biggest deal in the world, because liek the tides, my devotion to Keenspot comes and goes.

That's rather unfortunate. I didn't realize that hosts may have exclusivity contracts. I do wonder how the audiences may differ and if a place like UComics might have a larger audience to expose your comic to. I guess I'm rather ignorant about how many visitors on the whole these types of sites get.

Melonpool wrote:

Woohoo!!! This is great news. I think that the hiatus is good for you regardless since you've got to burned out from pushing so much for years and years. Now, at least there is hope on the horizon for your fans. :-)

Orchid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:28 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Charles_Brubaker wrote:

*snrk* Have you ever checked the average Comics Sherpa strip quality?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:47 am 
Bo Lindbergh wrote:
Charles_Brubaker wrote:

actually, I only read strips from Sherpa that has good titles. I'll have to check the others.

In fact, the only Sherpa I read are "Whatever USA" (the characters's design did go little...out of form in the recent strips though) and Bob the Squirrel (which moved to uComics)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:06 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Scath wrote:
You know Steve, as much as I'd appreciate that, I'd also be a bit put off. That may seem a bit contradictory, but really, you are the essence of Melonpool, and I sincerely would not like to see that spirit of vigor and jubilance be further trodden on due to the heavy burden of a comic.

It was fairly obvious the strip had had, for the longest time, your hands and feet bound and was dragging you through the streets. And to only come back to that, at least so soon....it just seems unwise. Relax. Flex your creative muscles! Not to butt my nose in too deep, but it seems to me that Melonpool had become so routine, so very much a part of your life, that you lost that spark, that radiant passion of childhood innocence and intrigue that kindled Melonpool in the first place.

At least for this reader, I want to see you come back to life, Steve, not Melonpool. It'll always be there waiting for you, but really - Life's too short to waste on any one thing, and with your potential, the sky's the limit!

I agree with Scath. Go, do your flash cartoons and your puppet things and take a break from the whole grind. There's no real need to press yourself to a commitment, you've earned your time off. We all love your comic and we don't want you to burn out on it. If that means going without even for a good while, that's fine. We're all here for ya, man. (Besides, I really want to see those other projects you've been talking about!)

That said, if there's ideas in your head that you just have to get out NOW, well, you could always comprimise, and write up a buffer for when you DO come back. That'd be cool :)

-K

Avatar by Steve Troop of Melonpool! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:34 am 
Scath wrote:
Not to butt my nose in too deep

Sorry, Scath, but I was unable to continue reading the rest of your post with this image in my mind....

*** Sammy the Hammy is gone. BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAA! ***

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:46 pm 
Been there, done that. ComicsShepra is in my nightly checklist. I've read Dandy and Co., Killing Time, Quietboy, Todd and Penguin and a few others daily. They're pretty good comics, some of them are low quality comics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:14 pm 
I feel like I'm at an intervention.

STEVE: I can quit anytime I want to!!
SCATH: The first step is admitting you have a problem. Now pour this bottle of ink down the faucet.

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:10 pm 
Hey, how about a good ol' British compromise? Do some of the new project, then some more comic, then some more of the new, and so on. That way you'd have a break from each of them in turn, and hopefully not burn out on either of them. And who knows, they might even cross-pollinate in your imagination, reaching heights of brilliance neither could achieve alone. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:26 pm 
Bo Lindbergh wrote:
Charles_Brubaker wrote:

Not to be mean or anything but the same can be said of Keenspot. There are some great comics on Keenspot but there are also a lot of duds.

The question is, how much cross pollination goes on and how does Steve's readership grow on Keenspot vs. how would it grow somewhere else? I'm not expert but I originally thought Steve could use it as a way to expose additional viewers who aren't drawn to web-only comics, but it seems his contract doesn't allow that. UComics has mainstream comics and has a different audience.

Orchid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:33 am 
Keenspot actually has excellent cross-promotion. You'd be surprised how much traffic the newsbox can bring in when used properly. On a good day, it can send AT LEAST an extra 8000 people to your strip.

Of course, Steve has yet to use the newsbox to its full potential by just posting half-naked pictures of Jalea. ;)

(I'll also grant you that there is an audience outside of the huge number of Keenspot readers that would also be worth advertising too. But dammit, that costs money!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:53 am 
There's a nice thread at the Comixpedia forums discussing webcomic promotion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:38 am 
Melonpool wrote:

Steve

Well the day Mayberry originally got kicked out of Limbo was August 23rd which is a Monday this year. :)

My unsolicited advice is talk to Scott Kurtz. He seems to be able to run his strip on his own.

Until later
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:08 pm 
Melonpool wrote:

Steve

Well the day Mayberry originally got kicked out of Limbo was August 23rd which is a Monday this year. :)

My unsolicited advice is talk to Scott Kurtz. He seems to be able to run his strip on his own.

Until later
John